Susato beak

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
R Small
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Susato beak

Post by R Small »

I have recently renewed my interest in penny whistle and have purchased a Susato high D that I'm pretty happy with. I really like the way it plays as it's good and loud, has a strong 1st octave (even low D), and has good intonation. One minor quibble, though, is the length of the beak. It seems a little stubby. I don't think it affects the playing but I think I'd like about 1/8 inch more to take in. I think it would feel a little more solid or secure in the mouth. Does anyone else have this issue with the Susato? Is this something that can be tweaked by reshaping the beak or grinding or sanding away some material (I won't try this at home). Or is the beak well "within specs" and I should just get used to it and move on ahead? Thanks in advance for any answers.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: Susato beak

Post by FJohnSharp »

You're not the first to dislike the short beak, but it's something one gets used to.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, what FJohn said.

The tip of the whistle should just be touching the outside of your lips, extending in a few millimeters at most. So the length of the beak shouldn't make much difference anyway.

But you can try this: Turn the head upside-down, so that the fipple window is underneath the whistle, facing toward you. This makes the beak seem longer, because it gives more room for your lower lip. It's pretty comfortable, and the whistle still sounds fine.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
walrii

Post by walrii »

MTGuru wrote:But you can try this: Turn the head upside-down, so that the fipple window is underneath the whistle, facing toward you. This makes the beak seem longer, because it gives more room for your lower lip. It's pretty comfortable, and the whistle still sounds fine.
I don't have that many thumbs.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

walrii wrote:I don't have that many thumbs.
The head, the head! Not the whole whistle!

Hey, I didn't think walrususeses / walrii had thumbs anyway.

I guess you could try turning your head upside-down. Just don't blame me when the whistle dribbles into your nose.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
R Small

Post by R Small »

You guys are warped.
Denny

Post by Denny »

shhh!
they'll be on about the ivory....if ya encourage 'em

jus' let it pass :D
walrii

Post by walrii »

MTGuru wrote:I guess you could try turning your head upside-down. Just don't blame me when the whistle dribbles into your nose.
I understand Linda Blair played the whistle like that.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

Like MT, I basically rest the end of the beak of any whistle against my lips without actually placing the beak into the mouth. But still, some beaks feel uncomfortable to me....like Susatos and the new WD Sweet. Personally, I find both the Susato and WD Sweet beaks too thick for my liking. The nice thing about the Susato beaks is there's enough material to work with and I can use a round shaping wheel in my drill press to very slightly reshape them for better comfort, which I do with every one. It doesn't take much to achieve a better feel. Can't do that with the WD Sweet since the windway opening is extremely large with literally no material there to remove.
R Small

Post by R Small »

After a few days the beak is starting to feel pretty comfortable. I guess I had to remind myself I'm not playing a sax or clarinet (played for 40+ years) where you have to take in a good bit of the mouthpiece to allow the reed to vibrate. I think it also helps that I'm no longer resting my teeth on the top.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

R Small wrote: I think it also helps that I'm no longer resting my teeth on the top.
Yeah. teeth should never be rested on the top. Always keep them in a glass or jar well out of sight.
howardi

Post by howardi »

:pint: the susato kildare V series is a thinner whistle with a slimmer more comfortable beak. i have successfully ground down the S series beak to match the V series beak. good luck
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

I tried cutting mine, but I ruined it. :(
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
SkipJack

Post by SkipJack »

I don't own a Susato but I understand what you mean. My Original Clark has a small, practicably nonexistent beak so it feels quite strange to play when you switch over from another whistle. Not even a 6 thumbed walrus playing the Clark upside down would find improvement. I <3 my Clark, though. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I once ground the bottom of a Susato whistle head till it looked like an Abell.
Worked fine and was comfortable.