OT-I'm sick of snow

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
janice

Post by janice »

OK, I'm not usually one to harp about the weather but this is ridiculous!!More snow last night,the drifts in my backyard are up to 3 feet and with Lake Huron frozen over, it looks like the Arctic here.Had to go and shovel a spot for the doggie!
There must be someplace out there that's warmer than this.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I'm so glad I live in Miami.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I know it's hard to be thankful when it's three feet deep, but here in the West we're in a severe drought and would give anything to share in your bounty! At my house in Salt Lake City we've probably had 2-3" (yes, that's inches) of snow this entire winter. :sad:
Susan
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Dale, if you read this, please post the pic I sent you of our recent snow...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Can I come over?

Your weather would be a relief after shoveling close to three feet of snow off the roofs of the three mobile homes I'm renovating in the field out back. If you care to run the numbers, that's in the neighborhood of 40 to 50 tons of white stuff that my snow shovel and I pushed off those roofs in a day and a night.

There's about three feet on the ground everywhere with about five feet around the mobile homes (which is my workplace). when I finished shoveling the first roof, I jumped off into the snowbank. Sank to my armpits, which I hadn't planned for. "What do I do now," methought. The temp was -17F (actual, not wind chill) when I was shoveling. Fortunately, it wasn't windy. It's been down to -21 since. This week, the worst of the bitter cold should be over.

I have a path (trench, really) dug from the house to where I work. Whenever it snows some more, I get my daughters to pull each other on a toboggan over the path to pack it down.

There's a 14 foot high "little Matterhorn" snowbank in our yard where the village frontloader has piled snow for safekeeping. (This is for sale, if anyone needs more snow. If no one here wants it, it'll be going up on eBay in a few days.) I looked out the upstairs window one afternoon and saw that the girls had brought their bright red, green, blue and yellow kid chairs and some blankets onto the top of the snow mountain and were having some kind of make-believe tea party or something up there.

Later, I noticed the plastic, six-foot round, kid wading pool that's usually in the garage seemed to be levitating along just above the snow, moving along the toboggan trench. The trench goes next to one of those big plastic playhouse things, which was 3/4 buried in snow. They put the pool upside down on top of the playhouse, dug the snow out from the inside, and voila!, instant igloo. In half an hour, the bottom of the pool was covered with snow that was falling, and it looked like the real thing.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Yeah, Dale.

Get Paul's picture up there. He's about 100 miles from here.

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. Thanks for sharing your poem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Freeman on 2003-01-26 20:43 ]</font>
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I hate snow too. Although we don't have anywhere near 3' of snow here in the mountains of Va we've had more than usual in the last two weeks. BUT, what makes me hate it so much is that I am a rural mail carrier so I have to drive in it no matter how dangerous it is to travel.Stopping at boxes on a steep slope then pulling out again? It's horrible, and it's in my own vehicle, no postal vehicles are put on true rural routes. Last week I was averaging 6 1/2 hours in the car each day delivering instead of 5 each day.Add that to 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hrs spent in the office casing the mail and it makes for a long day. Lousy snow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cowtime on 2003-01-26 20:44 ]</font>
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Much as I hate shoveling snow I'd welcome some up here. A lot of farmers would agree with me. We desperately need the moisture. Last summer cattlemen couldn't grow enough hay or provide enough water for their cows and had to sell off whole herds.

Compassion is the basis of morality. -Arnold Schopenhauer, philosopher
(1788-1860)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dakotamouse on 2003-01-26 20:48 ]</font>
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

My sentiments exactly--we've had a ton of snow, and a deep freeze, and now it's just like a big rock field of ice out there. I'm going nuts with cabin fever, and so are the kids. My car is still dead, and we haven't been able to go out anywhere anyways, because it's been so cold and windy. I haven't seen my horse in a week, and I'm sure he's just as antsy as I am. When will it ever end?! I want to see my crocuses, waaahhhhhh!!!!!

R.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It's bitterly cold here in St. Louis.
We've gone down to 25 below counting
wind chill. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
one-tin-soldier

Post by one-tin-soldier »

Just remember - it could always be worse! Be glad we are not in Newfoundland, who are getting their third blizzard this year already! The snow is piled up as high as the houses!

Once I saw that, I refuse to complain about my puny lake effect snow anymore - really, it's not sooo bad?!

Cheryl
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

We've only had maybe a foot and a quarter of snow all told, but BITTER cold - the worst in several years. Which means bare ground and deep drifts in ditches and driveways.

Believe me, the West is more than welcome to any more winter we're due for this year. If y'all want to freeze and dig, more power to you, but for me, all I live for is the hope of Spring.
nickt

Post by nickt »

Blimey! Well it's 13C (55F) here in sunny London. We hardly get snow anymore thanks to global warming (London had an inch for one day earlier this month which was the first snow in central London in 15 years).
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I'd kind of started to wonder about the whole global warming thing because it has been an unusually harsh winter here in the southern end of New York State.

My neighborhood has had a total of 65 inches of snow so far this winter, including 2 inches that just fell during the night. Temperatures haven't gotten above freezing in a couple of weeks, though we are expecting to go up to 38 degrees (F) later today! A veritable heat wave!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Janice, Janice, Janice. This is the way a Canadian winter is supposed to be. We've become soft and flabby because the winters are warmer in recent years. It's good for the lake to be frozen. It will help boost the lake level. The Teada concert was nice. I'm sorry you couldn't come.

Steve