Top players....which flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Top players....which flutes?

Post by smoro »

Unseen122 wrote: Liam Kelly plays a Wilde Ruddall in D aswell as the afore-mentioned Eb Wilkes.
Not exactly, Liam´s flute by Wilkes is in D. The last Dervish CD is recorded in D instead Eb (all their previous recordings were in Eb). The moved 1/2 tone flatter recently.
Regards.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

smoro wrote:The last Dervish CD is recorded in D instead Eb (all their previous recordings were in Eb). The moved 1/2 tone flatter recently.
That's interesting. Does anyone know why they decided to change?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

MTGuru wrote:
smoro wrote:The last Dervish CD is recorded in D instead Eb (all their previous recordings were in Eb). The moved 1/2 tone flatter recently.
Perhaps they were worried that they might be mistaken for DeDannan and get caught up in all that brouhaha.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

johnkerr wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
Perhaps they were worried that they might be mistaken for DeDannan and get caught up in all that brouhaha.
What DeDannan brouhaha?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Mommy, stop the car...

I want out!
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Denny wrote:Mommy, stop the car...

I want out!
Really? Is there a raging ITM scandal with which I am not aware? What could be so controversial about a band as bland and harmless as DeDannan? Well, I have heard their version of John Lennon's "Imagine"--I have to admit, that's pretty strange.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Akiba wrote:What DeDannan brouhaha?
Boy, are you out of touch.
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

johnkerr wrote:
Akiba wrote:What DeDannan brouhaha?
Boy, are you out of touch.
Most shocking, indeed! :shock: :shock:
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

smoro wrote:
Unseen122 wrote: Liam Kelly plays a Wilde Ruddall in D aswell as the afore-mentioned Eb Wilkes.
Not exactly, Liam´s flute by Wilkes is in D. The last Dervish CD is recorded in D instead Eb (all their previous recordings were in Eb). The moved 1/2 tone flatter recently.
Regards.
I got my information from the liner notes of his new solo album Sweetwood where it says "Liam's D Flute Wilde from Ruddal and Rose; Eb Flute Chris Wilkes."
smoro

Post by smoro »

Liam Kelly playing a Wilde? That´s new for me. Thanks for the info.
Regards.
S.
segv

Post by segv »

Klaus Steinort plays Aebis.
ryanflute

Post by ryanflute »

Ciaran Sommers has a keyed Wilkes in C.
Ciaran Somers now plays a poljez 8 keyed d flute
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

smoro wrote:
Regards.
Wilkes. Aha! Thanks for straightening me out on that.
I want to know what he did with his Eb Murray; I love the sound he got out of that flute.

I noticed the shift down too -- MT, I have no idea why but they were playing with a piper for a while while the box player was off having a baby, so I thought maybe that was the reason. But that was just idle conjecture on my part.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

kkrell wrote:Calum sold his Rudall awhile ago. He is playing an 8-key Rudall copy by Norman Holmes and Bill McNaughton, modeled after Tom McElvogue's Rudall. The H-M is the flute Calum played as runner-up to BBC Scotland's 2007 Young Musician of the Year, and what he plays on his recent CD. Tom recently picked up his own H-M flute.

http://www.holmesmcnaughton.com/index.html

http://www.holmesmcnaughton.com/flutes.html

As I understand it (and Norman can correct me if he sees this), their waiting list is now closed.

Kevin Krell
Calum has recently acquired the Bohm tubed 8-key Rudall Carte & Co, that I overhauled a while back, has had a new unlined head made for it by Robert Bigio and is, I understand, delighted with it and using it in gigs. There is a YouTube clip (v poor quality phonecam at a gig job) of him using it prior to getting the Bigio head.

I haven't seen/heard him/the flute since he got the new head - hope to do so in October when his band Mabon have a gig local to me...... (there are some pics of thie flute with its own head before Calum bought it on my Facebook page.) So far as I know he still has his HMcN, though (very impressive, BTW - had a short go on it back in June....). And of course, he was trying to sell an Ormiston low Bb here on C&F a while back.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jcannon

Post by jcannon »

A few weeks ago near me, the Philadelphia Ceili Group held their 35th Annual Irish Music and Dance Festival. Bua was a featured band, and Josh Dukes was sitting in on bodhran.

I asked band guitarist and sometimes fluter Brian Miller what makes folks were using afterward in the session. He said:

Here are the flute makes:

Sean: Mike Grinter fully keyed
Brendan: Patrick Olwell keyless
Josh: boxwood Olwell and blackwood (or cocus) flute by Beckett circa 1850
Brian: Pol Jezequel (maker in Brittany, France) 5-key

Nice music there for several nights