Beginner changing whistles.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fidget
antispam: No

Beginner changing whistles.

Post by Fidget »

Hi, I'm still enjoying my whistle although it seems that there are some difficult lessons to learn yet. Here is one, I hope that some may have experienced this and can advise.

I have a few whistles, probably a fairly standard spread of makes/models in D, inc a few Clarkes, a few Feadogs (brass, nickel & Pro), a Walton Mellow D and lately a Dixon Trad.

The Feadogs had given me some problem with heavy squeaks and squeals, mainly during fingering transitions between a few particular notes. This drove me to find a gentler whistle to learn on.

The Walton Mellow D has been very good for this, well behaved and predictable transition to the second octave, strong lower octave. Now claimed by my wife. (must get another..Walton that is!)

The Dixon, although quieter (good for practice) is also stable enough not to give me note transition problems and blows apparently without sounding like its an effort into the second octave. This is my favourite whistle.

At the moment I am able to spend a little time most days on some practice in my car when I can stop for say 20mins (remote lay-bys). For this I have left my Feadog in the glove box.

Now I have realised that the problems I had with the Feadogs "instability" was almost entirely due to my poor fingering technique, something that the Walton and the Dixon seem to be far less sensitive to. If I try hard to smarten up my note transitions, the Feadog can be a good practice instrument. But.....is it wise to learn to play the whistle using more than one whistle (and not too similar either), or should I stick to one....Am I storing up problems for later???

Regards, Dave...
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Beginner changing whistles.

Post by crookedtune »

Opinions are all over the map. In retrospect, I think having too many whistles served as a distraction for me. I spent too much time comparing them when I should have been working through a structured practice regimen. I'd pick a favorite or two, and put the rest away for awhile.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistling Archer »

If you buy a Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog in D,,, or a Freeman Blackbird in C,,,, you wont have to worry. Because you will not play the others. I have a few D,s & C, ,,, but I either play the Mellow Dog D or Blackbird C.
I m sure someone can tell you why this is the wrong thing to do , but try it anyway. :D
I bet you will agree
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
walrii

Post by walrii »

I second all the above. Like crooked tune, I spent too much time fiddling around with various whistles rather than focusing on one or two and learning the basics on those. Like Archer, I also found Jerry Freeman's whistles great for a beginner (probably great for a pro as well, I'll let you know in decade or so). I practice on a Mellowdog D at home and keep a Blackbird D in the glove box for "parking lot practice." Once you focus on one whistle, I think you'll find many of the fingering issues will sort themselves out pretty quickly.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Dain

Post by Dain »

Tolkien said that Elves give their advice seldom, because every advice is a two bladed sword... :wink:

I'd say that you should stick with the Dixon at the moment, and practice for a few months. If you listen and learn, you will see what you like and what not, consequently, which whistle sound fits you and which not. When you draw that line between your sound and the sound you'd like to have, then you can go into trying frenzy, to see which whistle keeps your skirt up.

And, as my own opinion, i'm almost totally satisfied with my Dixon Trad.
I'm a beginner and i think that i should learn as much tunes as i can in the first place.

And you don't learn to fly Jumbo-jet on jumbo-jet, right?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have two whistles and I am a crap player, an Oak and a Dixon (the cheap one),so for what it is worth...

To me, the Dixon is very forgiving and lets me play without worrying as much about breath control.

The Feadogs should be a bit like the Oak, less stable, but more flexible. I can bend a note on the Oak in a way that I cannot on the Dixon. It seems it is a trade-off.

I practice with one and at times play around with the other.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Whistling Archer

I.D.10-t wrote:I have two whistles and I am a crap player, an Oak and a Dixon (the cheap one),so for what it is worth...

To me, the Dixon is very forgiving and lets me play without worrying as much about breath control.

The Feadogs should be a bit like the Oak, less stable, but more flexible. I can bend a note on the Oak in a way that I cannot on the Dixon. It seems it is a trade-off.
Yes, thats what I think is so good about the freeman whistles. 2nd oct, is easier to go into and out of. Im a crap player too, and I need that help :lol:
I only suggest them cause Ive tried others ,[not a dixon trad though} and the Mellow Dog seems the most forgiving. I like the tone too. 2 more cents :)
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I actually prefer and play my Oak most of the time, it just seems to give me more feedback.

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I play one whistle all the time. I have others dotted around, but I would prefer to have my favourite whistle dotted around except it was expensive and I don't want to buy another.

When I play my small selection of other whistles it usually drives me back to my fav. It's just handy to have something to play nearby when your best is at home etc.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I think that you'll find, once you put good time into any whistle, that almost any single one is servicable. Too often questions of this nature end up with responses from folks pushing their whistle preferences on you which may or may not benefit you in the long run.
I think the best thing you could do is to put in some serious practice time with one or two whistles. Once you become more proficient and in control then you can make your way through a few different models to find one with the playing characteristics that suit your style.
As you said yourself, once you give a whistle your attention (as with the Feadog) you quickly learn how to play that whistle how it needs to be played. You don't learn that as a beginner by constantly switching and collecting.
I have my own opinions about getting a super easy-to-play whistle as a beginner. Many will bring up guitars and other instruments and go on about how a good instrument makes you practice better but in my experience an easy whistle (such as a Burke or Freeman tweaked cheapo) just enforces lazy breath control unless you are a particularly anal person. A year's worth of practice on that Feadog (though perhaps frustrating at times) will, in my opinion, give you a better look in the mirror and your playing will be better for it.

This isn't to say anything negative about Mr. Burke or Mr. Freeman's work so please don't take it as such.
I should also note that I once had sworn off Feadogs and Generations as unplayable before buying a Burke. One day a better whistler than myself picked up my "unplayable" Feadog and showed me a thing or two. Then he picked up the Burke and showed me how good it could sound when not played lazily. After that day I wouldn't practice with anything but that Feadog until I could control it.
Whistling Archer

yes , I knew somebody would tell me how playing a easier inst was wrong ,, thanks stray,,,,,
Guess it boils down to what you are trying to do ,
I will keep with my ahem,, freeman tweaked cheapo, as you call it.

why dont you suggest a 3.oo cooperman, just think of the possibilities

just keeping with my pressman mentality :D
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I never said it was wrong. You read my post with your own personal bias and, as such, missed the intended message entirely. You can learn on any whistle you like with the right attitude and attention to detail... some whistles heighten that attention by unpleasantly squawking your bad habits out to you.

The "Freeman tweaked cheapo" comment was not derogatory. Call it slang or whatever you like but that is exactly what his whistles are; cheap manufactured whistles tweaked by Mr. Freeman. I've played and enjoyed them myself, however my current poison is an O'Brien tweaked cheapo.

Make fun all you like but it really doesn't help the one who asked the question.

Cheers,
Johnny
Fidget

Post by Fidget »

Thanks for the advice everyone... I have enough whistles for the moment, but you are correct to identify that the collecting bug tends to take the place of proper practice. I hope to be over this stage for a while.
I've spent a little (probably more than I've spent on whistles) on a couple of tune books (Ireland's best tunes/slow airs) and am looking forward to picking out some new tunes to practice, along with the few I am already murdering in solitude.

Regards
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Whistling Archer, I definitely think you misunderstood Straycat. For what it's worth, I spent a good long time (a couple or few years) playing a Walton's Mellow D, and then a much longer time playing a Feadog. I definitely agree with Straycat that time spent on one whistle is the best way to learn. It doesn't really matter what whistle. However, MTGuru explained really well why I prefer feadogs and generations here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70884&start=19
I suggest you (generic, all of the viewers here) give it a good read. He really does put things very nicely.
Fidget

Post by Fidget »

NicoMoreno wrote: I suggest you (generic, all of the viewers here) give it a good read. He really does put things very nicely.
Yes, the point is put across well in this, thanks for the link.

But still, it's good to gain some confidence as an early learning boost, so the use of a "forgiving" whistle has it's place. For me (and possible many others) the realisation that my initial choice may not have demonstrated that I should give up trying, but a whistle which might not suit an absolute beginner is part of the learning curve.
I had suspected that the features which make my Feadogs hard on poor technique may very well be the same features which allow them to shine in the hands of a more experienced player. So worth keeping for the future.