Olwell hole size and spacing

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
karl
antispam: No

Olwell hole size and spacing

Post by karl »

Hello all. I've ordered a keyless Olwell but I'm unsure which model to get once my orders up (in about a year). When describing his flutes, Patrick says "My flutes are available in three basic designs called Pratten, Nicholson, and Rudall-Rose Small. For convenience, we sometimes refer to them as Large, Medium, and Small, respectively. The sizes refer to the relative measurements of the bore, as well as the size and spacing of the fingerholes."

I don't have access to Patrick's different models to try them out, so I was wondering if I could impose on the good nature of the people on this form. Doug Tipple has a comparison of hole sizes and spacing for various flutes on his website (http://dougsflutes.googlepages.com/flut ... comparison) He was able to put this comparison chart together with the help of people on this form. So..... could I ask if anyone is willing to do measure the hole sizes and spacings of their Olwells in the same way to help me out?

Thanks for your help.
Denny

Re: Olwell hole size and spacing

Post by Denny »

Patrick will put the correct sized hole in the correct place....

What is it that you really want to know?
What are you playing now?
karl

Post by karl »

Denny wrote:Patrick will put the correct sized hole in the correct place....

What is it that you really want to know?
What are you playing now?
I'm sure he will! What I want to get a feel for is how different the hole spacing and sizes are between Patrick’s models.

I can then compare them to my McGee GLP, Tipple and a Healy which I have access to. This should give me a better idea of how Patrick's different models will feel in my hands due to any similarities and/or differences with these flutes.
Denny

Post by Denny »

okay :D

Healy is large

GLP is small

Tipple is NOT medium, nor helpful in this context
however....if you can play a Tipple D then a Pat O. large will not be a problem

I'd think that the different sounding characteristics would be a bigger concern.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Unless you have smallish hands, I personally would go for the Pratten.
Unless you already have a preference for another sound.
It really is an extraordinary flute. I have a Nicholson and
it isn't much of an advantage fingerwise. I've never
played an Olwell Rudall.

I don't find the Pratten hard
to handle. It's easier than the Cotter Pratten and
the Hammy. I do think the Pratten is what Pat O
is known for and probably does best.
Again, unless you have small hands or a special
preference, the Olwell Pratten is a candidate for the best
flute in the world.

I expect others have different views, however.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I can understand that a person with smaller hands, considering the purchase of an Olwell Irish flute, might desire something more than than Patrick's description of the three different styles being thought of as small, medium, and large with respect to finger hole size and spacing between the holes. I can also understand Patrick's desire not to be more specific in this regard. It would be nice if you could walk into a music store, look at all three flutes and choose the one that you liked best. Since you can't do that (to my knowldege), unless you happen to live near where the flutes are made, you have several alternatives, two of which I will mention. The first one is to read Patrick's descriptions and decide to purchase one of the styles based solely on what you have read. Another alternative would be to order all three flutes, keeping the one that you liked best and selling the others at surely what will be an appreciated value more than the money would have earned in a current CD at 1.5% interest. Think of the purchase of an Olwell flute(s) as an investment. Oh yes, you also could take Jim Stone's advice and buy the Pratten.
Julia Delaney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I doubt that Patrick would sell three flutes to one person who had resale in mind. Patrick's list is quite long and he would be selling a flute to somebody who didn't really need it rather to somebody in the queue. Three flutes to one person rather than three flutes to three people. That isn't his business model. I think the OP should let us know where he lives as part of his profile. There is probably somebody his area who could let him try an Olwell.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

jim stone wrote:.....
I expect others have different views, however.
You really don't need to say this Jim.
Of course they do.

I fully appreciate that the power. authority, passion and poetry in your posts ring as a true expression of your experiences and insights and not as an absolute pedagogic truth.

People who expect well expressed opinions to be prefaced or post scripted with IMO and the like don't, IMO 8) , appreciate spontaneously expressed conversation
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Julia Delaney wrote:I doubt that Patrick would sell three flutes to one person who had resale in mind.
....... That isn't his business model.
One of the Far Eastern secrets of successful shopping
is to never let the seller "read your mind" .....

:lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
karl

Post by karl »

With regard to Patrick's business model and buying three flutes - you wouldn't need to do this. When I spoke with Patrick on the phone he said his aim is for his customers to be happy with their flute. So, if after receiving whatever model I choose, I feel I made the wrong choice, I can send it back and re-order a different model. I didn't expect him to go that far to ensure his customers are happy! I can see why he has such a good reputation and people like dealing with him.

With that said, I don't want to do this and would rather make sure I've done everything possible to choose the right flute before I finalise my order. I really don't want to send a perfectly good flute back to Patrick. After all, he will have done a great job and the only problem will have been me making an uninformed decision.

In answer to my location - I live in Malvern UK.

Thanks guys.
chas

Post by chas »

See this thread. I have measurements for the Rudall and Nicholson models there. There's also a link to an earlier thread that has measurements of a Pratten; I suspect Patrick's Pratten flute is pretty close to those measurements.

I'll disagree with Jim and say that if your tastes gravitate toward one type of flute, go with that; if not, go with the Nicholson -- it is a very versatile flute, with characteristics of both large- and small-holed flutes. You can play it as though it's either.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

By all means continue along this line of enquiry, but be chary of advice to go for a Pratten regardless. In my experience, many more players own them than are able to fill them, which is to say you may have a much more satisfying experience with a Nicholson model. I can attest that they are way more than adequate in the volume department, and generally easier to control. Prattens are nice, however, for keeping jackals off a fresh kill, or for the odd gig in a blimp hangar. Cheers,

Rob
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

See, Talasiga? (thanks for the kind words)
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

Karl,

In case you find this helpful, I've played a bunch of Patrick and Aran's recent flutes and the ones I have liked the most have been the Nicholson/medium holed models. Patrick has tweaked his Nicholson design over the last two years or so and he's really hit on something pretty cool. They are a great balance -a strong bottom end, a sweet upper octave, and nice response. You won't go wrong with any of his flutes, but if I were making the decision, I would choose the Nicholson.

Brendan
chas

Post by chas »

BrendanB wrote: In case you find this helpful, I've played a bunch of Patrick and Aran's recent flutes and the ones I have liked the most have been the Nicholson/medium holed models. Patrick has tweaked his Nicholson design over the last two years or so and he's really hit on something pretty cool. . .
Wow, the one I have is pre-serial-number, and I wouldn't change a thing -- if the new ones are better, that'd be amazing. Mine is so old I'll have to send it in to be measured for them to make a keyed copy.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.