I have been warned against cylindrical bore flutes.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chris_coreline
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

I have, in my long and still not quite finished quest to get a flute of my own been warned of cylindrical bore flutes in favour of the conical bore jobbies.
I popped into hobgoblin today and had a toot on that mid-range polymer flute / low d thing for £200 – and – something pounds. Cylindrical bore, and I must say I found it very easy to play, just requiring a little 'more air' for the second 8-ve. I didn’t even notice a flater second 8ve (which acoustically speaking I was sort of expecting). I suppose I would miss the keys, however the cylindrical bore, with its uniform thickness makes half-holing a lot more effective then on the deap-holed conical flute I have on loan.

Now granted I am absolutely no expert. Thus, Is there something I have missed here? Will such a flute will teach me bad habits? Is this like learning to drive on an automatic gearbox? Both styles sound nice…
The Dixon Polymer is a fraction of the cost of some of the other models I have been looking at (though in fairness I was enchanted by the look of the Orminston flutes and they arnt particularly cheap!)

Is this whole conical vs cylindrical debate another one of the communal assumptions based on fairley circumstantial acoustics? Is there more to the difference in designs then a flat second 8ve and easier half-holing? Should i save up and spend a fortune on a lush keyed thing, or get this cheeper, but seemingly just as effective instrument?

Halp!
Denny

Re: I have been warned against cylindrical bore flutes.

Post by Denny »

bit more of what kind of music do you want to play

the conical lends to the Irish way of playing

bamboo is cylindrical....
do the grow much bamboo in Ireland?

big holes bend easier (it's not the bore so much, eh) :D
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I can't imagine a conical bore polymer flute costing 200 sterling. At that price, it's likely a Dixon 3 piece, Seery or M&E - all are conical bore not cylindrical. I'm not aware of a single cylindrical bore polymer flute out there that costs more than 50 pounds.

Odds are, you were playing a conical bore flute and that's why you didn't find any problems with it.

Let me know if you've found a cyclindrical bore polymer flute that is so expensive - otherwise, if it's one of the makers I've listed...buy it if you like it.

Eric
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

How flat is the second octave?
Can it just be in the range of lipping up?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

NEVER turn your back on a cylindrical bore!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Most likely he was playing this thing.

GR2159: Dixon Low D Flute Duo
3 part flute with whistle head, closer finger holes, ideal for smaller hands. Made in United Kingdom

Price: £189.00 Pounds Stg (€218,00 Euro)

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/GR2159-p ... o-Page.htm

Its the only one that fits in the price range.

Never seen one.

Looks conical but its hard to tell.

Actually, I think its a 3 pc conical with fipple head tossed into the bargain.

Oh, and to comment on the OP.

You get what you pay for most often enough.

Dixon 3 pc conicals aren't THAT bad but you could do better for 300 bucks US.

You can get one of Casey Burns 3 pc wooden Folk Flutes for 231 GBP new.

Be helluva better than the Dixon and you won't grow out of it too fast if at all.

Keeps its resale value too.

And its wood... mmmmmm wood. :D

In other words I personally wouldn't invest my money into that Dixon.

http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php

Last edited by Aanvil on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

s1m0n wrote:NEVER turn your back on a cylindrical bore!
Indeed!

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
chas

Post by chas »

I think you've more likely been warned against some cylindrical-bore flutes. Some are crap, some are okay, some are pretty good, some are really good. Likewise, some conical-bore flutes are crap (see the sticky toward the top of this board), some are okay, some are good, some are really phenomenal.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Denny

Post by Denny »

when ya get right to the heart of it
they're all bored, ain't they :sleep:
lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

chris_coreline wrote:I have been warned against cylindrical bore flutes.
Should i save up and spend a fortune on a lush keyed thing, or get this cheeper, but seemingly just as effective instrument?

Halp!
Mr.Mt seems surprisingly unwilling to kick me off of here for good so I will respond to the question.
I have never played a cylindrical flute or one that was made of anything other than some kind of wood. Can't comment on such issues. I do think however that you will sooner rather than later, desire a flute made of wood which will almost certainly be conical. I don't think you will miss having keys for quite some time if you are playing I.T.M. You will probably not even miss a tuning slide too much even if you are playing a good deal with other musicians. A keyless slideless Copley will only set you back by about another 100 pounds and that total price will also include delivery give or take. Double your money and you get the same flute with tuning slide. For a lower priced flute I think it's quality is probably hard to beat. I would say it is suitable for all levels of players. Mine is constantly amazing me with it's capabilities. The more I get to know it the more it rewards me. I will probably be playing this flute for many years to come.
If Hobgoblin is anything like it was twenty or so years ago they are probably gouging you with their prices. Whatever you decide, you might want to think about buying direct from a maker or going through the Doc Jones' online store. I would seriously compare prices at least.
Thanks.
Nate
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

Thanks guys, you have given me lots to think about as usual. Even though i know its conical now, your 'you get what you pay for' advice has stopped me in my tracks again. I suppose i just need to watch the second hand market like a hawlk or devise some form of unholey pact with my parents, and im not sure that technique works for twenty-somthings :(

looks like ill be going back to rattling the penny jar for the meanwhile then!

anyone fancey buying me a 3 keyed ormiston? :thumbsup:
Denny wrote:do the grow much bamboo in Ireland?
Actually yeah, i belive B9 energy used to keep a big plantation up whitehead way in greenhouses when they were working on biomass for power generation (back in the nintees before it was called bio-fuels and sold to the public) i believe they scrapped it for flax seed as thats easier to grow on the island. Im not sure how their doing theese days, im pritty sure they still own most of the wind turbines in the north.
anyway, this off-topic ramble was brought to you by my dad who told me about it years ago.

*edit* oh look their still going: http://www.b9energy.co.uk/ looks like they have canned the biomas reserch then *shrug*
Denny

Post by Denny »

you could learn to make chanter reeds... :D

dizis?
flutefry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

My wife, and anyone who listens to me would say that I am a pear-shaped flute bore.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]