Thinking of buying a Burke

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ctilbury
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Thinking of buying a Burke

Post by ctilbury »

I am thinking of buying a Burke session whistle or a narrow bore. They cost $190 USD. :boggle: I am an intermediate beginner and I am serious about becoming a better player by practicing a lot. I also want an instrument that is adequate for a session. Does anyone have any thoughts on which bore diameter is better? Aluminum? Brass? Why?
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Thinking of buying a Burke

Post by MTGuru »

Hi Chuck, If you go for the Burke for sessions, I'd get the session bore. The narrow bore is very sweet, a nice personal and recording instrument IMO. But the session bore's medium volume and tone blends very nicely I think with fiddles, pipes, etc. It's what I usually grab for session playing.

Brass, aluminum, your choice of look and feel. They sound about the same.

Of course, for getting serious about practice, I actually recommend working with a Gen or Feadóg or the like. I made the wee mistake of too much reliance on fancier whistles when first starting to get serious, and I think it slowed my progress in mastering some of the details that make the difference between sounding trad and sounding "almost". Once you can control the chirpy, chiffy demands of a Gen type, it's easier to pick up another whistle and push it in the right direction. Just my current opinion, of course. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Darce

Post by Darce »

I have never played a Burke so I am in no position to comment but I did notice one for sale in the used instruments section. Might save you a few quid (sorry, dollars) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70881
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

ctilbury wrote:They cost $190 USD.
I was thinking of saving my whistle fund money this year and ordering a set of the emperor's new clothes instead. I've heard they're much in demand this season :wink:
MTGuru wrote:I made the wee mistake of too much reliance on fancier whistles when first starting to get serious
I think we can all own up to that temptation :oops:

PS. lovely whistle though
Mark
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

MTGuru wrote: Of course, for getting serious about practice, I actually recommend working with a Gen or Feadóg or the like. I made the wee mistake of too much reliance on fancier whistles when first starting to get serious, and I think it slowed my progress in mastering some of the details that make the difference between sounding trad and sounding "almost". Once you can control the chirpy, chiffy demands of a Gen type, it's easier to pick up another whistle and push it in the right direction. Just my current opinion, of course. :-)
Wow this is very interesting MT. I've never thought about that, or heard anyone talk about it.

When I started out in the mid 70's there were only Generations- every "serious" whistle player I met or saw, everyone who played professionally, all alike played a brass Gen D with the red top. (There were Clarkes of course but they only came in C.)
So the "which whistle" question always had the same answer- pick through dozens of Gens and try to find that special magic player. It's still possible to do so: I bought a Gen D a couple years ago that's great.

There's nothing quite like the sound and performance of a really good Gen to people like me who grew up in that era and to whom the Gen sound is the definitive whistle sound.

I am a big Burke fan and I have a Burke aluminum session bore high D that's my session whistle. For performing with a mic I still use my trusty old c1980 Feadog.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ctilbury wrote:I am thinking of buying a Burke session whistle or a narrow bore. They cost $190 USD. I am an intermediate beginner and I am serious about becoming a better player by practicing a lot. I also want an instrument that is adequate for a session. Does anyone have any thoughts on which bore diameter is better? Aluminum? Brass? Why?
What a simple question! I'll tell you how I answered that one for myself. I bought 'em all - brass, aluminum, composite, narrow bore, session bore. They are all very nice whistles. Mike's design and workmanship is top shelf. And he stands behind what he makes. Regardless of which bore you choose, all materials will have the same playing characteristics. Just as MTGuru says, the brass and aluminum ones sound similar across the room. The composite models sound a bit more mellow, some say woody. The session bore has a bigger, more open sound. But the narrow bore is not a wallflower whistle. It has enough volume so that you will hear yourself in a good sized session. How much time will you spend playing at home versus playing in groups? Get the narrow bore if playing at home is your primary interest and if you feel you need the oomph get the session bore. You can't make a bad decision. I play the heck out of both the aluminum and brass narrow bore whistles but if pressed I would say I prefer the brass one. Mike makes a good whistle.

Support a fellow whistle maker and not some faceless factory. :lol:

Crossposted with PCP: I will add that I have also pledged allegiance to one well worn Feadog Mk I for more years than I can remember.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
rap4th

Post by rap4th »

Very good post and information....because I am thinking about getting a Burke for my next whistle as well.

Rob
Rob's Irish Whistle Page
http://www.rap4th.com/tinwhistle/
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Chuck:

Why not use one of your own whistles? They're excellent!

If you DO go for the Burke, however, I prefer the narrow composite - it's really plenty loud enough and has a great sound in the second octave (i.e. non-deafening), although the session is nice, too...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I sort of had the opposite experience. When I started getting serious, I bought an aluminum session Burke. The ease of playing it kept my frustration level down, and I practiced a lot more than I had been doing on the Gen. Now I tend to play the Gen at home, and the Burke in sessions.

Either way, the real point is to practice with a plan.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

Chuck, the 2 I got from you , I havent said anything about them , cause I thought you were going to quit making for a while. The narrow bore brass , I got from you, it goes into the 2nd octave easier than any whistle I have. I get it too spitty sometime, due to my own fault, and the Delrin I got is excellent,and 2nd oct friendly. I bet you can get as good as you want on your own whistles.
I vasilate back & forth between the whistles I have ,,,, one day I will think one is best & the other is crap & the next day another is best,etc. but its my ADD :boggle:

your whistles are quite good IMHO. .
Steve
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
kalavinka

Post by kalavinka »

Hello,

I am also a beginning player. However, once I got into it, I wanted the nicer whistle right away. Usually, when I make the wrong decision I feel guilty. However, in this case, I have felt no pangs of guilt over spending this money.

I love my Burke Composite (session bore). It IS really inspiring to play on such a nice whistle and for me it has helped to fuel my interest (it also has far more leeway in terms of adding ornaments and the like). I still use the Carbony and also the Clarke Sweetone-- but there are clearly more rewards to playing the Burke.

$200 is a lot of money. I chose to go without groceries for awhile. Now, I am saving up for a brass one. I figure if I skip my morning coffee shop hop, I can afford one by my birthday.

Best wishes,
Christina
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

Thanks Pat and Steve. I am currently practicing with one of mine. It is a solid Delrin narrow bore and I like it a lot. However, I need a good high-end instrument to compare it against.
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
henryz

Post by henryz »

Why not consider a Blackbird? Very nice whistle for 1/5 the price of a Burke. It might be a bit too quiet, however, in a group setting.
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

henryz wrote:Why not consider a Blackbird? Very nice whistle for 1/5 the price of a Burke. It might be a bit too quiet, however, in a group setting.
Paddy Moloney plays a Burke... :D
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ctilbury wrote:Paddy Moloney plays a Burke...
And Joanie Madden plays a nice big Sassafras Grove bag full of Burkes (and O'Riordans). :D

From one whistle maker to another, buy a Burke. You'll like it.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.