is a sharp high B normal on a low whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kings taxes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

is a sharp high B normal on a low whistle?

Post by kings taxes »

quick question and apologies if this is an old and obvious one

just bought a used Overton low D whistle, crackin sound but the high B is too sharp when played open fingered- i can flatten it into tune by closing the fingering but this is awkward. My considerably cheaper mass production penny whistle has a crackin high B.

so is this just a feature of a low D whistle or do i hunt down a better one to buy?
Bloomfield

Re: is a sharp high B normal on a low whistle?

Post by Bloomfield »

kings taxes wrote:quick question and apologies if this is an old and obvious one

just bought a used Overton low D whistle, crackin sound but the high B is too sharp when played open fingered- i can flatten it into tune by closing the fingering but this is awkward. My considerably cheaper mass production penny whistle has a crackin high B.

so is this just a feature of a low D whistle or do i hunt down a better one to buy?
Are you sure you are not playing everything below the high b a bit flat? Overtons want to be played with strong breath support and if you go to soft on them, they can be flat. Then on the high notes, where you are used to really pushing to get the note, you use proper pressure and the note comes into tune. Try blowing every note with a quite a bit of force and see what that does.

(and make sure it was built by either Bernard Overton or Colin Goldie.)
/Bloomfield
kings taxes

Post by kings taxes »

thanks, it is definitely sharp though, nothing to do with blowing pressure. I am 99% sure it is an overton whistle, though it was purchased 2nd hand on ebay
Goldie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Goldie »

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Does the whistle have 3 flat sides on the head and an Overton stamp on the bottom of the tube opposite the D stamp? If not it is not an Overton.

If I made it my name would be engraved inside the end of the whistle. Normally the B note in the second octave if anything would be on the flatter side before I start fine tuning to bring it to the right pitch, so that yours is sharp sound strange to me. If Bernard had built it, he had a different hole configuration to what I use so I do not know.

If it is one of mine, I certainly will be happy to help you out on that as that should not be the case.

Hope this helps
Colin
kings taxes

Post by kings taxes »

yes, head has 3 flat sides and overton stamp opposite D stamp at bottom.

thanks for your response Goldie. upper octave B is definitely sharp. I have compared with my friends chieftain which has a true upper octave B. what can be done to correct this if anything?

thanks
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm not sure if all whistle players are aware of the fact that the upper B on nearly all uilleann pipes chanters is sharp.
This Overton would be very useful to someone who plays with pipers on a regular basis.

My Burke Pro Viper has this feature as well, which I've always assumed was intentional. It's Bs are exactly like those on the uilleann pipes, with the low B a bit flat and the high B a bit sharp, ideal for playing along with pipers. (Uilleann pipes also usually have a sharp low E and a flat high E.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Goldie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Goldie »

Via email we found out the whistle was made by either Bernard or Phil, if I could see a picture of the head I would know who built it. I am sure this note was not intentionally made this way. I personally have never been asked to make that note play in such a manner, if needed the note could be blown sharp on the ones I make, using a higher breath pressure than the notes below, to me it simply is a tuning flaw.

Colin
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Goldie wrote: to me it simply is a tuning flaw.
What is "in tune" is a situational thing. Since I play most of the time with a guitar player I need my whistles to play in tune to equal temperament. But a whistle which plays perfectly in tune to equal temperament would be "out of tune" when playing along with most D uilleann pipe chanters on which the F# in both octaves is a tad flat, the low B is a tad flat, and the high B is a tad sharp (or in some cases very sharp; 20 cents sharp is not unusual).

So as I was saying this particular whistle would be a valuable asset to someone who plays along with uilleann pipers on a regular basis and wants to be in tune with them.

By the way, a violinist friend who has pefect pitch pointed out to me that many Irish fiddle players likewise play their high Bs sharp. I assume that this is a habit formed due to playing with pipers.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I can't speak about the particular whistle in question, but I believe (and maybe Colin can confirm) that this issue of 2nd 8ve B tuning is one of the perennial problem areas in constructing Low D whistles - something to do with the bore diameter/length ratios that are good for strong low tone being particularly unhelpful for the upper top hand notes, perhaps, at least in an all-cylinder (parallel bore) instrument - I believe a conoid bore (as in e.g Jon Swayne's wooden low whistles) helps address this. Transverse flutes can have a similar problem - it's all about balancing compromises in design. Ideally the upper notes would use a different bore than the lower ones. If you use a bore optimised for the higher notes, the low end is comparatively weak.

It is precisely the chronically sharp 2nd 8ve B that IMO makes Howard low whistles a complete waste of money (though they have other "issues" too).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

FWIW, I just checked my Goldie-Overton low D, and the high B is bang-on in tune (ET). In fact, every single note on the instrument is bang-on, with no tricky breath maneuvers. It's apparent that Colin has made some sort of deal with Mephistopheles. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes I think it's safe to say that a sharp high B is not the norm on Low D's.

It's right in tune on my Susato, Reviol, and MK, and as I recall it was on the Chieftan, Overtons, and Copeland that I've had pass through my hands.

I had assumed that the sharpish high B on the Burke was intentional because I knew that Michael Burke had got a lot of feedback from Mick O Brien and other uilleann pipers, to whom an "in tune" high B would sound flattish.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle