Slow,Slower,S-l-o-w-e-r, ZZZ-zzz-z-z-z-z--z--z---z----z

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Slow,Slower,S-l-o-w-e-r, ZZZ-zzz-z-z-z-z--z--z---z----z

Post by rorybbellows »

Is it just me or does anyone else think the pace of the forum has slowed down the last few months. Is everybody to busy playing there pipes or are people just not bothering to post any more ? Where there used to be a constant stream of posts everyday ,we are now lucky if there is half a dozen in a day,and the weekends seem even slower.
Whats going on ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
mayo_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Slow,Slower,S-l-o-w-e-r, ZZZ-zzz-z-z-z-z--z--z---z----z

Post by mayo_piper »

I told myself that I should be practicing more and posting less...DAMN IT! Now look at what you've made me do! :tomato:
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I have definitely noticed fewer posts lately, especially by Rory. I was starting to worry about him. I even tried to stir the waters yesterday with some jokes about vpipes and the new villeann piping forum, and no response. Maybe just not that funny..... I am practicing less, surfing the forum the same amount. Maybe someone should conduct a survey about how much time we spend practicing versus surfing....
"Luck is important"
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Maybe there's just nothing more to say.
PJ
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Just wait until my set arrives in October. I will make it a point to post weekly updates as I attempt to avoid divorce and murder at the hands of my wife and children. :)
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
Pyper

Post by Pyper »

This is my first post. :thumbsup:
Piping like crazy.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rorybbellows wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else think the pace of the forum has slowed down the last few months.
I really hadn't noticed... :D
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I don't know whether it's that bad...For example, the whistle forum is much more active, and with even less new info passed I think.

Pity that Peter is gone...
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Maybe you guys have gone past the point of 'vast new information' and now it simply takes longer and longer for anything truly new to pop up. And since some people get bored easily...they stop posting. Leaving a board filled with 'I just bought a these pipes' and 'where do I begin' questions.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
Joseph E. Smith

Pyroh wrote:
Pity that Peter is gone...
I agree. But, that's what he wanted. Maybe he'll return someday under a new user-name.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

If you really want to know

(and to be bold):

The list was a great resource early on, including in David's (Daye) previous manifestation. To be frank, it was invaluable, helpful, and full of great posts. I am told by many of the former fine contributers, that they have given up on the list due to the sheer amount of nonsensical posts, and/or occasionally drop by to find that indeed the list is simply not as good as "the good auld days."
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Joseph E. Smith

Brazenkaine wrote:If you really want to know

(and to be bold):

The list was a great resource early on, including in David's (Daye) previous manifestation. To be frank, it was invaluable, helpful, and full of great posts. Many of the fine contributers in the know, have given up on the list due to the sheer amount of nonsensical posts, or just occasionally drop by to find that indeed the list is not as good as "the good auld days."
I agree with this for the most part but I can't help thinking that if folk truly want this and other lists to be more beneficial for themsleves and to other pipers, then they ought to show a little spine, stop lamenting the good times past and contribute quality posts to these lists, like you do Padraig... and I enjoy and get a lot out of your posts BTW.

I'm not suggesting that posts be nothing but serious pipe talk, but to those out there who have given up sharing their knowledge because they feel there isn't enough 'quality' contribution (and you know who you are), I ask that they lighten up and do something constructive. If folk do not like the current trend on this and other lists, do something positive to better them.

Sometimes I get the impression that a lot of pipers are simply big babies. :boggle:
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Brazenkaine: You're right. The experience with message boards shows that this happens very often, because the truly knowledgeable people, who started the board leave in time - and sometimes they are replaced by people of "equal" knowledge, sometimes not. And certain joy of "yippee, I can meet people who do the same" can hardly endure reading 953526th What whistle should I play?

This is not to say that local people are not knowledgeable - just that it's a trend of message boards.

I have seen several boards to be shining glorious, and then dwindling in 2-4 years to state where old veterans sometimes visit, see it's not the place it used to be, and go again. And I can't rememer a message board, where the same collective would last for much more than 3-4 years. People change, they come and go.

And sometimes, the activity of moderators is crucial, as well. When moderating another board here, we used to be there every day, talking, joking etc. After 3 years, it dried out a bit - it can be hardly endured for so long. But as the community grows in numbers (quadratically, I'd say, whereas quality grows logaritmically :-)), more time has to be spend on moderating, and less on posting.
Little Green Man

Post by Little Green Man »

Maybe things will pick up in September, especially as most of our posters live in the Northern Hemisphere.
Mine's a pint of Bl*ck Rat
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Brazenkaine wrote:
, stop lamenting the good times past and contribute quality posts to these lists, like you do Padraig... and I enjoy and get a lot out of your posts BTW.

I
that's very kind of you. Thanks.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!