getting at them regs

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glands »

A lot of this depends on the placement of the bag on your side....do you wear it high? or low? Also, a lot of the bag placement and the lay of the drones and regs depends greatly on the length of the humerus (upper arm bone), and in particular, its length in relation to the length or stature of your trunk, and on your girth. Note the S. Ennis photo, in it his upper arm is shorter relative to his height than is the length of the arm suppopsedly owned by P. Hutchinson. (I know, different vantage points but any bloke can see the differences here) So, there will be different placements of pipes parts. Truth is, makers produce pipes that often fit themselves, send them to you, and part of the difficulty with them is they don't fit your body habitus. Most of us do more adapting that we probably should have to do. This may lead to nagging injuries in some players. Whenever possible, stock placement, bag neck length, blowpipe length, etc, should be determined on an individual basis.... pre sale...or at time of sale/delivery...or with provisions to change some of these things after a little while of playing a new set.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

D'Arcy...great picture of Ennis(!x10). I find my attention keeps returning to those hands and fingers. Long fingers may not be that much of an advantage, e.g., Rowsome's were shorter, but I bet it helps. I'm finding the reach on the B chanter to be more comfortable every day. I was surprised to learn that it's the left hand that gets sore.

I once had this theory that some of the finest fiddlers hands were narrow and folded easily, and a long pinky. A couple years ago I was at a Christmas party in Portland, and I asked fiddler Kevin Burke if I could look at his hands/fingers. He has a relatively short pinky and semi-banjo hands, not unlike mine. I was disappointed to learn that it's probably just a lot of work, no cheating. Darn...same probably goes with piping.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Sorry, I mean the picture is fine, I am more stunning when viewed from the front, donncha know. Someone also suggested I insert the stock deeper into the bag too.

...go for it D'Arcy!

t
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Oh no.... too tempting... can't continue typing... losing all sense of reason.... suddenly I want to play bodhrán.... if you did nay have your wellies.... where would ya be.... you'd be in the hospital or.... Aaghhhhhhh :wink:

Patrick.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

All,

I have solved my reg problem! And I have a great picture that illustrates how I did it. Unfortunately, I do not have the picture on any website, so I am unable to paste it into a message on this forum. Bummer! Any I dea how I can get this image posted here?
t
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Email it to me Tommy and I can plop it up on my server

Cheers,

PR
tommykleen

Post by tommykleen »

At last all my problems are solved! Not only can I get at those regs, but all my other piping challenges have disappeared! And I get a reall natty suit out of the deal.
-t Image
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I love it !!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Thank God for "lasso tools" in photshop! And now for the sound clips? (you could raise Ennis's flat set to D and no one would know--or maybe they would!)
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hey Tom... you failed to mention the Coyne set too :wink:

Patrick.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Check out the latest contest on my site:
http://www.concentric.net/~pdarcy/page5 ... tml#bottom

Tell me is the answer "Right" or "Left"? :wink:

Patrick.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

More on the photo...

"The boy's got elbows, he just can't use'em that's all. The boy's got reach but his reach ain't really that tall...

"And the more I get to thinking, the less I tend to laugh...

"The boy's got hands but his fingers don't connect to his brain. The boy looks right but I'm afraid he'll have to abstain...
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Those fingers are amazing Tom! I'd hate to get into a thumb-wrestling match with you!!
tok

Post by tok »

And quite a head on his shoulders . lol . sideburns have got to go though ,,just a matter of taste ,,,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tok on 2003-01-23 21:41 ]</font>
Davey

Post by Davey »

I may trouble for this one..as Tommy could drive right over and brain me...but has anyone noticed that Tom is the spitting image of Billy McCormick?

http://www.thegreatnorthernirishpipersc ... ly_web.JPG

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Davey on 2003-01-23 22:24 ]</font>