Who POed the cougars?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Who POed the cougars?

Post by s1m0n »

A town in the BC interior has had a weird rash of cougar sightings/attacks.

Town besieged by cougars
Last Friday, only the quick-thinking actions of a Princeton resident prevented two kids swimming in a river from a likely deadly attack.

The man, who lives near the river, saw the 16-month-old male feline stalking the children and shot it dead, with follow-up investigation by Mounties concluding the firearm discharge was warranted — not to mention life-saving, said Cpl. Dan Moskaluk.

“There’s certainly little question that he may have saved that kid’s life, one of them at least, because it probably would’ve scooped up one of them and taken off,” he said.

“When you see a cat in that mindset of watching prey, regardless of whether it’s a house cat or a cougar ... it must have been very unnerving for the guy looking out at the riverbank.”

The close call came less than two weeks after conservation officers killed a cougar prowling amongst campers in the town 790 km southwest of Calgary.

And if those two incidents weren’t enough to put Princeton residents on a claw’s edge of tension, yet more feline fear erupted the next day.

A decidedly bold big cat was spotted prowling at a town park, with a swimming pool full of children and six baseball teams, on Saturday afternoon.

A panicked resident ran to the nearby RCMP detachment, with officers quickly holstering up to deal with the hungry predator.

“The guy was pounding on the detachment door, all he could get out was ‘Cougar! Cougar! Cougar!’” said Moskaluk.

“As they were walking up to the park area, this thing was crouched down and it was watching them as they approached.”

The animal, a 16-month-old female, was also put down.

Making matters more unsettling is the fact the fearsome predators are not generally apt to wander into town, said Princeton Mayor Randy McLean.

“To hear about one around town is amazing, to hear about three is surreal ... it’s just so hard to fathom,” he said.

“I’ve lived here all my life, I hunt, I fish, I Ski-doo, I quad ... and I’ve seen one cougar in my life and that was on the highway at two in the morning.”
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Re: Who POed the cougars?

Post by Denny »

There seems to be some thought that they were all from the same litter.

I saw one once....impressive kitty
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

perhaps they were trying to self domesticate.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It wasn't that kind of cougar that first sprang to mind. :oops:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Innocent Bystander wrote:It wasn't that kind of cougar that first sprang to mind. :oops:
Me either, and you don't want to PO that kind of cougar either!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Those kind of cougars are PO'd all the time. You should have known better.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Cougar sightings have grown in the U.S. in the past 30 years. It used to be you just didn't see them unless you were in the back country, and often not even then, as they tended to be shy of humans. Destruction of their habitat has brought them down out of the mountains and into contact with humans...with often disastrous consequences for the people and for the cats.

There was a cat down near L.A. a few years ago that was actually staking out a bicycle trail as if it were a game trail. Here in our area, cougar sightings are frequent enough that signs at UCSC inform people how to react if they encounter one. Last year, a big cat took two dogs on two successive nights from a family's back yard...snatching the second one right off the porch as it left the house, with its owner literally just a step behind it.

Scary. I'm always very alert when I'm walking on the trails around here, as not only are cougars sighted routinely, but we also get the occasional black bear.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Innocent Bystander wrote:It wasn't that kind of cougar that first sprang to mind. :oops:
I don't get the "alternate cougar" meme here. What am I missing?

We had cougars visit our backyard a few times when our house was new. When you live on the boundary of an urban-wildland interface, that seems expected. Not to mention a tiny town in the boonies. It seems weird to me that no one would be prepared to deal with the appearances with something less than deadly force.

Maybe they need to hire a pack of vicious chihuahuas. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MTGuru wrote:I don't get the "alternate cougar" meme here. What am I missing?
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Health/Story?id=731599

Mary Kay Letourneau? Cougar.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:
I don't get the "alternate cougar" meme here. What am I missing?
Cougar.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

s1m0n wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I don't get the "alternate cougar" meme here. What am I missing?
Cougar.
Thanks, Simon!

Man, I gotta get out more. Though in my case, cougar hunting would involve hanging around posh senior centers. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

MTGuru wrote:
It seems weird to me that no one would be prepared to deal with the appearances with something less than deadly force.

Maybe they need to hire a pack of vicious chihuahuas. :)
It does seem odd. I can understand the first instance, as the cat was actively engaging in stalking behavior, and there's little else that one man could have done to prevent it attacking the children. But the cat in the park was, apparently, just wandering around...surely they could have evacuated the swimming pool and called a wildlife expert to trank the critter and move her to a more suitable location.

Redwolf
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Redwolf wrote:It used to be you just didn't see them unless you were in the back country, and often not even then, as they tended to be shy of humans.
However, if you were in the back country where they live, you can bet they've seen you.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Another odd factor is that adult cougars are both territorial and solitary, and their territory is large. Finding three (or - the RCMP has put out an elert in the area in case there are others) in one small area is very unusual.

I wonder if these were someone's exotic pets which have escaped or been released into the wild? That might explain the lack of fear around humans, and if they were raised as pets, they might not even know how to hunt, or at least how to hunt well*, which might be why they're stalking children.

*You see this with raptors raised in captivity. Finding and killing prey is instinctive, but hawks have to be taught to cycle through different hunting grounds when game begins to get scarce in each. A human raised hawk will stay in one place and starve once it's hunted out.

C.S. Lewis
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

s1m0n wrote:Another odd factor is that adult cougars are both territorial and solitary, and their territory is large. Finding three (or - the RCMP has put out an elert in the area in case there are others) in one small area is very unusual.

I wonder if these were someone's exotic pets which have escaped or been released into the wild? That might explain the lack of fear around humans, and if they were raised as pets, they might not even know how to hunt, or at least how to hunt well*, which might be why they're stalking children.

*You see this with raptors raised in captivity. Finding and killing prey is instinctive, but hawks have to be taught to cycle through different hunting grounds when game begins to get scarce in each. A human raised hawk will stay in one place and starve once it's hunted out.
Hard to say. They're common enough hereabouts that I doubt they're escaped or released pets. My guess is that their habits are changing because it's what they need to do to survive. They don't need such large territories in such places because there's plenty to prey on (pet dogs, house cats, etc.) and it's generally easy to catch, unlike in the back country, where the animals they tend to prey on (deer and rabbits) are more widely spread and more alert.

Kids are almost always in danger from big cats, because of their size and their high-pitched voices...to a big cat, both say "prey." Even domestic animals that haven't been socialized with children will sometimes react to them as if they were prey animals. One thing they warn us about here is to make sure that children don't go into areas where cougars have been sighted unless they are with an adult. If they spot a cougar, they are told to do whatever they can to look bigger...for example, pulling their coats up above their heads.

Redwolf