Am I the only one..

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Re: Am I the only one..

Post by rebl_rn »

Just saw a picture of a couple of fans celebrating because they got tickets to the memorial service. Something about being SOOOOO excited and happy to go to what is basically a funeral seems wrong....
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

In 100 years, people will wonder why he was so famous. They won't have Boomer sensibility and sentiments. They will see a child star gone bad, still singing in the same vocal range with athletic but ultimately forgettable dance routines. They will marvel at how spectacular his fame was. If you say, "but Weekender, he was SO talented," I will remind you that the performing arts are filled with very talented people who are gifted from childhood (but most often, not in the public eye from early on). Sammy Davis Jr comes to mind; he sold millions of records, he sang, he danced, he could play multiple instruments, but now, he is known more as a multi-talented entertainer, rather than an enduring musical force of creativity. I just don't think he will be regarded as he is now, and certainly not deserving of a stamp or a natl. day of mourning, as Al Sharpton is now advocating.

It's an awful lot of flash and fizzle and maybe everyone got a little too cooked, but I was never a fan, so..... and yes, I am a fan of Motown and such. To me, that Bad song was the turning point, where he lost my credibility and interest and just seemed ridiculous. He went from being a child singing beyond his years, to somebody beyond childhood years acting and singing in child-like fashion, and even supporting the contention with personal and ultimately scandalous behavior.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm not sure this has yet even matched the death coverage of Pamela Anderson or Anna Nicole Smith, whichever one died a couple of years ago.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

The Weekenders wrote:In 100 years, people will wonder why he was so famous. They won't have Boomer sensibility and sentiments. They will see a child star gone bad, still singing in the same vocal range with athletic but ultimately forgettable dance routines. They will marvel at how spectacular his fame was. If you say, "but Weekender, he was SO talented," I will remind you that the performing arts are filled with very talented people who are gifted from childhood (but most often, not in the public eye from early on). Sammy Davis Jr comes to mind; he sold millions of records, he sang, he danced, he could play multiple instruments, but now, he is known more as a multi-talented entertainer, rather than an enduring musical force of creativity. I just don't think he will be regarded as he is now, and certainly not deserving of a stamp or a natl. day of mourning, as Al Sharpton is now advocating.

It's an awful lot of flash and fizzle and maybe everyone got a little too cooked, but I was never a fan, so..... and yes, I am a fan of Motown and such. To me, that Bad song was the turning point, where he lost my credibility and interest and just seemed ridiculous. He went from being a child singing beyond his years, to somebody beyond childhood years acting and singing in child-like fashion, and even supporting the contention with personal and ultimately scandalous behavior.

Nice thought there Weeks....but...He was what he was..a unique talent..
The moves and the shapes were old and done before he was born..
He brought Dance to a generation that never saw it before..
A generation brought up on MTV never saw dancing in all it's glory...

Freds dead..so is Gene...so maybe for that alone the late MJ has placed the notion of Dance into the heart of a generation...

Every little bit helps...
Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Dale wrote:I'm not sure this has yet even matched the death coverage of Pamela Anderson or Anna Nicole Smith, whichever one died a couple of years ago.

Pamela... :-?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

Dale wrote:I'm not sure this has yet even matched the death coverage of Pamela Anderson
not dead
or Anna Nicole Smith,
dead
whichever one died a couple of years ago.
Denny

Post by Denny »

dubhlinn wrote:
Dale wrote:I'm not sure this has yet even matched the death coverage of Pamela Anderson or Anna Nicole Smith, whichever one died a couple of years ago.

Pamela... :-?

Slan,
D.
snerk....naw, the other one
weedie

Post by weedie »

I'm not 'completely' unmoved by his death.....I feel sorrow for his family.
I dont think you're a bad person either Simon..a very serious person,but not a bad one.
As for MJ himself ..his paedophilia negated any good things he ever did.At least in death,he won't have to deal with what his life had become...a grotesque and torturous existence.
As for the sick media coverage,one TV station here in OZ (Chanel 9) has had a lot of air time devoted to MJ and ALL of it has been positive/complimentary with no whiff whatsoever of the courtroom dramas,facelifts,weirdnes etc....and there's another two doco's planned for next week..
Now,I'm a suspicious type and after a bit of research,I found that Chanel 9 has large interests in CD/DVD sales.So under the guise of 'entertainment' ,we are really just getting an advertisement for Chanel 9's products..
Consider this when next time,you see a programme on the life and times of Michael Jackson.
Sick ? ....most surely...
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The Weekenders wrote:In 100 years, people will wonder why he was so famous. They won't have Boomer sensibility and sentiments.
Gen Xers like me are going to spend most of the rest of our lives being annoyed by the boomer death march.

~~

My second-last girlfriend went through grade school with Pam Anderson, albeit not with Pam's implants. Maybe I should post that to the 'brush with fame' thread.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

s1m0n wrote:Gen Xers like me are going to spend most of the rest of our lives being annoyed by the boomer death march.
That has to be one of the most callous things I've ever read on the Chiffboard. On behalf of my entire generation, I apologize if our deaths offend your sensibilities. Geez. :evil:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:
s1m0n wrote:Gen Xers like me are going to spend most of the rest of our lives being annoyed by the boomer death march.
That has to be one of the most callous things I've ever read on the Chiffboard. On behalf of my entire generation, I apologize if our deaths offend your sensibilities.
You might be surprised how universal this sentiment is in the generation after yours, but you know almost nothing about us.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

s1m0n wrote:You might be surprised how universal this sentiment is in the generation after yours, but you know almost nothing about us.
And I might not be. You have no idea what I know. And what I know is hardly the point.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I think X-ers are equally if not more responsible for making Thriller the deal that it was. Little MJ was a Boomer phenom, but Bad MJ is more transitional post-Boomer.

As for the assertion about what Boomers know about X-ers, it's an unprovable and gross generalization.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

s1m0n wrote:..in the universe who is completely unmoved by the death of Michael Jackson? And if I am, does that make me a bad person?
Nah. He simply was not an important person in your life, so his death lacks much if any emotional punch to you. This is normal.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Charlene wrote:It was newsworthy on the day he died, and it will be worth a 30-second story when the autopsy results are in but enough already!
Funny, I had a similar thought when I began reading this thread. :lol: