O.T. Cornbread discovery!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sandy Jasper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sandy Jasper »

I have just discovered the wonderful taste of cornbread and want more!

I remember someone in the chat room offering me a slice, as this is not typically a Canadian delicacy I was hoping you could help me!

Could someone please send me the instructions on how to make this wonderful stuff?

Hungry Elf...
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Hello Sandy,
was it a bread with full corn (single or mixed) or shredded corn bits in there, sunflower or pumpkins seeds added? There are probably a few hundred different kinds of cornbread in Germany (land of the bread and beer), if you know which one you would love to try to make, I can see if I can find a recipe for you and translate it. If you have a "german" shop around they may have ready backing mixtures available as well.
Brigitte
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Hmmmm...lemme grab the box of cornmeal in our pantry....brb...

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegitable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten

to be continued
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

COMBINE cornmeal, flour, sugar,baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, oil and eggs in a small bowl, mix well.

ADD milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Pour into greased 8 inch square pan.

BAKE in preheated 400F oven for 20-25 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I suppose you mean the American cornbread, made from cornmeal. Traditionally, around here it is made rather dry and without sugar, but it seems to be becoming more common to make a more cake-like cornbread, undoubtedly influenced by the pre-packaged mixes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Walden on 2003-01-22 08:01 ]</font>
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS ON CORNBREAD

In my experience, it is <i>imperative</i> to use a cast iron skillet or cast iron cornbread molds. First, add a little oil...if using cornbread molds, about 1 teaspoon of oil to each mold...if using a skillet, about 1/4 cup of oil to the skillet. <b>PREHEAT</b> the oil and the skillet for at least 10 minutes beyond the point that the oven has reached cooking temperature. You want the batter to sizzle when you add it to the pan. This will create the crispy-crunchy crust.

THINGS TO ADD TO CORNBREAD
A can of whole kernal corn, drained
A can of diced roasted mild chilis, drained
A can of diced roasted not-so-mild chilis, drained
Shredded Cheddar cheese (Canadian cheddar is superb)

Also, cornbread can be sweet or savory. The amount of sugar varies widely between recipes.

Just my two cents worth...okay, maybe it was 25 cents worth :smile:

Good luck,
Eric
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Cornbread all by itself is good but for a real treat try hushpuppies and deep fried fish. Hushpuppies are deep fried cornbread balls. Yummmm..Here's a reciepe but I can't vouch for it because I've never cooked them.

http://www.recipedude.com/recipes/hushpup.html

Here's some more Hushpuppies.

http://www.old97wrecords.com/hushpuppies/home.html

Another way to eat cornbread is cornbread stuffing in turkey.

Steve
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

http://kochbuch.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/Bin/kategorie?Brot

this is a few hundred bread recipies on a university server, if there is anything interesting from the "vollkorn" mixtures....
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Go to http://www.recipe.com for just about any recipe, including cornbread. When I was a kid my family used to eat cornbread and butterbeans.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-01-22 05:17, ScottStewart wrote:

When I was a kid my family used to eat cornbread and butterbeans.
Reminds me of a couple of songs the Clodhopper Brothers used to sing

One of them went something like this,

"Cornbread and buttermilk,
A country boys delight!
I et it ev'ry morning,
And et it ev'ry night!"

Which reminds me of my grandfather, who always ate cornbread crumbled in a glass of milk, despite the fact that it always gave him heartburn (perhaps he's lactose intolerant).

The other song, sung to the tune of Just a Closer Walk With Thee,

"Just a bowl of butterbeans,
Pass the cornbread if you please,
I don't want no blackeyed peas,
Just a bowl of butterbeans."
Reasonable person
Walden
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Having grown up on Southern cornbread--salty, not sweet--I found myself unable to eat a well-meaning friend's "Yankee" cornbread with flour and sugar.

I've since overcome that uneducated prejudice (though I prefer the sweet ones in muffin form). Even so, the southern-style goes better with vegetable soup or chili.

I concur that a cast-iron skillet is essential! I have a hard time getting the little pones out of the corn mold intact.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Once you have sampled cornbread you should go on to try polenta, a northern Italian dish made with coarsely ground corn meal, water and salt. It is used like pasta and goes with almost anything. For some unknown (by me)reason the Italian refer to corn meal, made from maize, as granoturco (turkish grain). The mountain people of north Italy and southern Switzerland swear that polenta should be made in a cast iron pot over a wood fire. Since have neither we use a non-stick pan and our gas stove.
Mike
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Man, it's a good thing I already had breakfast, cause this has gotten me thinking about serving suggestions.

Cornbread goes perfectly with chili.

I like polenta baked topped with a little tomato sauce, shredded green peppers, and cheese, possibly a little crumbled meat.

A couple more members of the cornbread family are tamales (corn flour batter stuffed with goodies and steamed in a corn husk) and hush puppies (corn meal batter deep fried).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

In the part of Alabama that my wife's family was from it was traditional to eat fried chicken, blackeyed peas and cornbread on New Year's Day. This was in the vicinity of Selma and that general region. Anybody from there? Is that still a tradition? We had it this past New Year's.

Steve
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

On 2003-01-22 03:01, vaporlock wrote:

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS ON CORNBREAD

In my experience, it is <i>imperative</i> to use a cast iron skillet or cast iron cornbread molds. First, add a little oil...if using cornbread molds, about 1 teaspoon of oil to each mold...if using a skillet, about 1/4 cup of oil to the skillet. <b>PREHEAT</b> the oil and the skillet for at least 10 minutes beyond the point that the oven has reached cooking temperature. You want the batter to sizzle when you add it to the pan. This will create the crispy-crunchy crust.

THINGS TO ADD TO CORNBREAD
A can of whole kernal corn, drained
A can of diced roasted mild chilis, drained
A can of diced roasted not-so-mild chilis, drained
Shredded Cheddar cheese (Canadian cheddar is superb)

Also, cornbread can be sweet or savory. The amount of sugar varies widely between recipes.

Just my two cents worth...okay, maybe it was 25 cents worth :smile:

Good luck,
Eric

Have you ever melted butter in the skillet rather than oil? The crust is crispie and there is no need to spread butter on the cornbread.

I prefer the sweet cornbread. And leftover sweet cornbread is yummy for breakfast.

Laura