Pennywhistle advice requested

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
McIntosh
antispam: No

Pennywhistle advice requested

Post by McIntosh »

I have been playing guitar and banjo player several decades. I have become interested in the Pennywhistle and have an interest in learning the instrument to add a different flavor to my music.

I'm looking to purchase a good quality instrument and would appreciate an opportunity to hear from members of the forum on what to look for in a Pennywhistle. Any recommedations regarding manufacturers and recommended features would be most appreciated. My price range is between $30.00 to $100.00 for the instrument.

Many thanks in advance for the time and advice extended.

Regards,

McIntosh
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Pennywhistle advice requested

Post by s1m0n »

Get our own Jerry Freeman to send you a couple of his tweaked feodogs (or whatever else he's got) and spend the rest on beer. I don't think there's enough of a difference between a good mass market whistle and a high end whistle to justify the money. (Except that even a high end whistle cost less than a cheap asian guitar, so if you like buying things, go to town.)

As I understand it, Jerry buys feodogs in bulk and does the quality control and minor adjustment that the manufacturer should do but doesn't, and then resells them for a modest mark-up. Buying a whistle that's been through his hands means that you can be confident that your whistle is the best whistle it can be. Once you know that, if it sounds bad at the beginning, you can be sure its you and not the whistle. This is a good thing to know, because unlike the whistle, YOU won't have to get your fipple shaved by Jerry to sound better.

This is the cheaper (just) option than my initial 'get a good whistle' strategy, which was to buy a lot but only play the good ones. I still have a few early nineties Generations and Feodogs that sound awful.

As always, this is my opinion alone. Others will think differently, and no doubt tell you so themselves.
Last edited by s1m0n on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Another option is to buy a Dixon Trad. These retail for about £17 in the UK. They produce a very clear sound and have good intonation throughout the range. Plus they are cheap enough that if you damage it or lose it its not the end of the world.
The Merry Wanderer

Post by The Merry Wanderer »

Though some may disagree, The Generation whistle might be worth considering as it is cheap, you can buy one for as little as £ 3.50 and it still makes a decent sound.You can purchase them in different keys easily without spending a lot of money. it's a good way to start off without spending a lot of money.
Tin Whistle + Folkmusic= happiness and contentment
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

If you search over past threads on this forum you'll find loads of information about just about every make of whistle out there.

If we're talking High D whistles, they sort of break down into categories such as

1) inexpensive mass produced such as Generation, Feadog, etc. With these, quality control is an issue and you may have to play ten or twenty or fifty to find a really good one. Or, as has been suggested, you can buy a "tweaked" Generation from Jerry Freeman. He modifies off-the-shelf whistles so that they play at their optimum.

2) mid price whistles such as Susato, Dixon, etc etc. Some people don't care for Susatos but they are popular in Ireland as a strong loud session whistle.

3) high end whistles such as Overton, Burke, Copeland, etc etc. These are hand made from the best materials and many consider them worth every penny.

Really, the only way to get a "feel" for all of these is to play them. I think the most "bang for your buck" will be a Freeman tweaked Generation, Feadog, etc. Many traditionalists (like myself) regard the Generation tone as the most desirable sound. The closest perhaps is the narrow-bore Burke which is a very fine whistle.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
mgratton

Post by mgratton »

+1 on the suggestion for a Freeman tweeked whistle!

mikeg
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hello and welcome!

As you can see already, there is a bewildering variety of brands and prices available. But do note the underlying theme: A good whistle that plays well. No single factor causes more frustration for beginning whistlers than poor quality. Whether you choose to sort through inexpensive mass-market instruments to find the good ones, spend a bit more for an expertly adjusted instrument, or go further up the price scale to assure more and more quality control, the objective is to avoid the frustrations of an improperly done instrument.

If you, like so many of us, get hooked on this charming, simple instrument, you'll eventually end up with a collection of them. But do pay attention to comments of quality and playability as the advice rolls in.

For the raw beginner on a budget, I would also recommend a tweaked whistle. Think of tweaking as the 'set-up' done on a new guitar. Delicate adjustments, expertly made, that make the instrument significantly easier to use. Spend the extra money on learning materials, or beer, as you choose.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Makar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Makar »

Another for the Jerry tweaked mellow dog :thumbsup: I keep coming back to it after trying a good few of the high priced whistles.

cheers
Stephen
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
rap4th
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rap4th »

+1 for the Jerry Freeman tweaked whistles.

Especially the Blackbird....I have one in D and C now!

Rob
Rob's Irish Whistle Page
http://www.rap4th.com/tinwhistle/
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Well within your budget, and of very high technical quality so far as accuracy, balance, volume, playability and craftsmanship are concerned would be Guido Gonzato's plastic whistle range, and Sandy Jasper's powder coated brass and copper manufactured whistles.

MTGuru generously posts outstanding sound samples of the GG whistles with his signature on his Chiff and Fipple postings. A simple search will get Guido's web page too. A search for "Elfsong" will find Sandy's web page with sound samples of her playing her whistles. Both are knowledgeable and helpful people to deal with, as are Jerry Freeman and Mack Hoover. Jerry's longstanding quality contribution to whistledom has been noted here already. Mack is a long time supplier of inexpensive but powerful mouthpieces to fit any cheap whistle barrels you care to mention.

The quality of sound and playability of any of these craftspeople's product compares, to varying degrees, with the more expensive "high end" whistles.

All the best in your search. Let us know what you finally decide to buy, and your initial reaction. We're all WHOA's here ... :)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

What kind of whistle does your local guitar music store sell? They probably sell one. Learn on that one. Then you have one while you wait for another one to be delivered if you have to order one over the internet. Are you planning on playing with other people? If you are, you'll want one that it's tune or can be made to be in tune. You'll want a couple so that you can keep them in convenient places like your car, back porch, and other places you hang out. If you get a couple, you'll get to see the differences with different materials. We all keep cheap ones all over the place and have a habit of giving the ones that weren't our favorites out to kids and friends who express and interest in the whistle.

You'll enjoy a traffic jam or a slow drive thru if you have a whistle with you. Do not drive and whistle.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

If I had tried a Jerry freeman whistle I might be adding to the many suggestions to get one, but as I haven't had any experience of them, I can't give an honest opinion. However, I will highly recommend one of Erle Bartlett's 'Black Diamond' whistles as one of the better ones in my collection, and if you're talking in U.S dollars, well within your budget. If you're talking in Australian dollars, one of those will be the limit of your maximum allowance.
Good luck in your quest.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You really need to tell us more about your plans for the whistle. Are you going to play by yourself or with other people? Are you going to play ITM or other music? For $100, you could buy 3 good whistles in 3 different keys if you're playing with other people. If you playing by yourself, you might want whistles, still in different keys, but maybe in different materials, depending on the sound you're trying to achieve. I'm currently coveting a bamboo flute for the haunting sound but I don't play ITM.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
arnie

Post by arnie »

There are a couple of Burkes for sale now on this forum for a GREAT price! You have one of the best whistles, very easy players and with a beautiful sound.