I found Mymarommatidae!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Nano wrote:one in Cretaceous amber
What was the last thing on his mind before he hit the dinosaur?

djm
Nyuk.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Re: I found Mymarommatidae!

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

I have an update. I am up to five specimens. I told my friend James "Ding" Johnson, a good insect taxonomist about them and he got very excited. It seems likely we have a new species on our hands. The only other sighting of this family in North America is one species from around the Washington DC area. Ours are from the panhandle of Idaho and Western Montana area. Nothing definitive is known about what their hosts are for any members of the family.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'd think that a Washington DC area insect found in the Idaho panhandle would be cause for more that a little concern..... :o

-OR-

Congratulations! :thumbsup:
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re:

Post by s1m0n »

Innocent Bystander wrote:See - that explains why people think dinosaurs are extinct. They just aren't prepared to spare enough alcohol for a large-sized pitfall.
Though I've gotta say, I've been mired to my axles in few over the years...
Last edited by s1m0n on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Way to go! How many pitfalls and drowned, pickled insects did you have to set up and stare at to get this bingo?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

s1m0n wrote:Way to go! How many pitfalls and drowned, pickled insects did you have to set up and stare at to get this bingo?
Let's see, 5 pitfalls a day, 6 months with 20 work days a month, 50 mostly insects per pitfall, roughly 30,000 critters.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Ain't field research grand!
Wha'cha gonna call yer new species?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."

I'm not the Mymarommatidae taxonomist, so I don't know what it might end up being named. I'm simply the lab tech who realized they were Mymarommatidae. They might be more common and people simply think they are Mymaridae and leave it at that. It is very rare that insects get identified much past the family level. Also, people tend to deal with the macro-insects more often than not.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Go figure. Back when I was pouring out pure alcohol and staring at creepy crawlies*, they called it 'toxicology', not 'taxonomy'.

*Not strictly true.

C.S. Lewis

The odd fringed wings have evolved more than once in minute insects. There is an entire family of minute beetles known as the feather-winged beetles. Aerodynamics is influenced by the size of the organism, as air gets more viscous the smaller things get, so I would guess air does not slip between the fringes as readily at that size or there is some other thing going on at that level.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV wrote:
s1m0n wrote:Way to go! How many pitfalls and drowned, pickled insects did you have to set up and stare at to get this bingo?
Let's see, 5 pitfalls a day, 6 months with 20 work days a month, 50 mostly insects per pitfall, roughly 30,000 critters.

Oh, Caroluna! Yoo hoo! There's your solution to Izzie's dietary dilemma!
Cotelette d'Agneau
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Lambchop wrote:There's your solution to Izzie's dietary dilemma!
Here's an excellent recipe:

1. Wring the bugs out, reserving them to a small bowl. For the time being, set remaining liquid to one side.
2. Feed the contents of the bowl, one at a time, to the Venus flytrap.
3. Quickly slurp up the ethanol. After steps one and two, you will need a drink badly.

C.S. Lewis
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Lambchop wrote: Oh, Caroluna! Yoo hoo! There's your solution to Izzie's dietary dilemma!
<hic>

Rod, your beastie looked familiar. Is that what's on the cover of Hymenoptera of the World: an Identification Guide to Families?
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV wrote:
And not even enough to make a tiny droplet in the bucket! We humans tend to be so self-centered. If we all dropped dead at the very same instant, the insect world would have a nice fast feast and go on about its business.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com

Caroluna wrote:Rod, your beastie looked familiar. Is that what's on the cover of Hymenoptera of the World: an Identification Guide to Families?
Yes, that cover was actually my first clue as to what I had.