Can you name that whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rosehebrew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Can you name that whistle?

Post by rosehebrew »

Hi,
This came up on my youtube page and I was wondering if anyone knows what type of whistle this is? Great bodhran playing too I must say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJa_VgpIAc

Thanks a lot for looking!

Rosemary :-? :-? :-?
The musicians that didn't know music could play the best blues. I know that I don't want no musicians who know all about music playin' for me. Alberta Hunter
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Can you name that whistle?

Post by MTGuru »

My guess: Waltons Little Black Whistle (LBW)

http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... little.htm

I have it from a friend that Andrea has been known to toss LBWs into the audience during her concerts.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Herbie Mann tried Frisbees....

it wasn't nearly enough :(
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Does look like an LBW although it does resemble my black Feadog as well.
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Yep, looks like a LBW, minus the Waltons sticker.
I have a Waltons 'Black Guinness Whistle' which is the same whistle as the LBW only it has a cream coloured mouthpiece and a Guinness sticker.
Someone (who doesn't really know much about my taste in whistles :lol: ) bought me this about 8 years ago, I was surprised that it played so well for a cheapy.
It really does not need any tweaking, is easy to blow and plays quietly or loudish if so required. I don't use it as my everyday whistle (in fact, I don't use it at all) but it does have a nice enough sound, but for me it does not have the sound or response to articulation that I am looking for.
Here is a little sample of me playing (recorded just now) the Guinness black. http://www.box.net/shared/0a5ya4d5yz
The whistle looks like this (and I have no interest in the site, it was the first to come up in a search):
http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... inness.htm
(edited to fix link)
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Yep. Definitely a walton LBW. You can tell that by the last few frames where you can see the light reflecting on the facets on the lower part of the fipple. You can also tell by the way she avoids the bell note ;)

Also - if she's lobbing the things into the crowd, the lightweight aluminium tube probably reduces the premiums on her public liability insurance :D

... I've finally gotten round to learning this tune (Toss the Feathers)- does anyone have a good ABC or dots rendition of the tune that is not the one from thesession?

The version there does not seem to tally with modern performances .. but then perhaps fashion has moved the tune on a little bit?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mitch wrote:The version there does not seem to tally with modern performances .. but then perhaps fashion has moved the tune on a little bit?
There are two different TTFs. This one in DMix, and the other one in Em. Maybe you're thinking of the other?

The performance itself is pretty stiff (except for Caroline on bodhrán, who is solid). But they're not a trad band, eh. :-) And the tune is close to the bog standard DMix setting.

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I have a third TTF, also in Em (or thereabouts), which is different enough that I would class it as a separate tune. I used to know more, but they've gone ... I've rummaged about ... can't find them in there anywhere ...
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I suppose it's because she's a tiny lady,
but Andrea Corr makes that D whistle look
like a Bb.
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

benhall would the third version you mention be this one?
http://ecf-guest.mit.edu/~jc/tmp/Tune53620.midi
This is the version that was more popular (in my expeience) before the Corrs version got done to death.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

MTGuru wrote:
Mitch wrote:The version there does not seem to tally with modern performances .. but then perhaps fashion has moved the tune on a little bit?
There are two different TTFs. This one in DMix, and the other one in Em. Maybe you're thinking of the other?

The performance itself is pretty stiff (except for Caroline on bodhrán, who is solid). But they're not a trad band, eh. :-) And the tune is close to the bog standard DMix setting.

Hmm - the one I have is E dorian - it sounds like the right mode, but the B part deviates a lot on the emphasis .. I have heard this setting somewhere, but can't recall if it was Chieftains or Bothy or other ...

This tune is a bit of a worry because it gets played at sessions a lot .. but sessions seem to always have some kind of bias away from the common, as if the gestault boredom drives players into technical and historical backwaters ("Hey do you know any more of the old tunes?" ... etc).

Does anyone else here suffer from that stuff? I mean - most tunes that sound great on whistles have a really strong melody and yet the fiddlers and old-hands insist on avoiding strong melodic stuff and insist on playing reels and jigs that could be any old thing with the melodic emphasis trashed for the sake of authenticity? Sort of like they are more concerned with playing atmosphere rather than tunes?

Like .. for me, the allure of ITM is the amazingly strong evocative melodies. And yet the sessions all seem to avoid playing them - erm .. dare I say The Kesh, Morrison's, Garret Barry's, Kid on a mountain, The Banshee, The Hag with the money, The butterfly ..
and, Arrgh-of-Aaarghs, - Carrickfergus!!!! Or even, Si Bheag Si Mohr???

I'm tempted to start a session dedicated to playing great tunes regardless of how many times they have been played! Obfuscatious hierphants muzzled upon entry!

Damnit - these classic tunes are what got us all in here :)

I think I'll start a contentious thread about classic (if hackneyed) tunes.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:I have it from a friend that Andrea has been known to toss LBWs into the audience during her concerts.
That's gotta be against H&S regulations.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

hoopy mike wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I have it from a friend that Andrea has been known to toss LBWs into the audience during her concerts.
That's gotta be against H&S regulations.
The obvious solution is for some engineering professor to stop wasting time on spurious problems such as energy independence and world hunger, and concentrate on the challenge of developing a safe and reliable way to launch whistles into an audience.

"A Proscenium-Based System for Kinetic Projection of Aerophones with Mitigation of Biohazardous Impact Trauma."

Then get to work on transparent aluminium. Now that would make a cool whistle!

hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:Then get to work on transparent aluminium. Now that would make a cool whistle!
Aluminium? I'm a composites man, for heaven's sake.

We have a carbon fibre flute, and also a carbon fiddle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9sHo2XEYFU

No carbon whistle as yet though...
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

How about this

http://www.parkswhistles.com/Whistles/G ... fault.aspx

you wouldn't even see it coming
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!