(sigh!) Not all are born to be virtuosos

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: (sigh!) Not all are born to be virtuosos

Post by mutepointe »

For how mediocre many of us are, we still have our moments of brilliance and sometimes we're lucky enough to have those moments in front of people.

Also, I may not play my instruments well but I still play better than 99% of the population.

Every time I decide to learn a new instrument, I think "If snotty nosed grade school kids can figure this out, so can I." This hasn't failed me yet.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

No one can teach brilliance...but you can be taught the mechanics.

People are really pretty unfair to themselves when they think that they can just "pick up" whistle and teach themselves to play.

Nobody can make you Mary Bergin or Matt Molloy, but a good teacher can make just about anyone competent.

A good teacher is far and away your most efficient and least frustrating way to learn to play....and you'll be amazed at how much fun you can have, too! :-)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
HDSarah
antispam: No

Post by HDSarah »

"Hi, I'm Sarah and I'm a mediocre whistle player." :D

It's so nice that even on C&F, which presumably has many actually GOOD players, we can admit such things.

Chuck mentioned playing while recuperating in the hospital. The period of time when I played whistle most was when I was ill (an acute thyroid condition) and didn't have the energy to play my main instrument, the hammered dulcimer. One of the joys of whistle is that it can be played while lounging with one's feet up, or even lying on one's back. :) When I'm well and able to be near my dulcimer, I tend to play mostly dulcimer and not much whistle, so it's pretty obvious why I'm not a great whistle player. :oops: (I wouldn't classify myself as "great" at dulcimer, either, but I'm a lot better than at whistle.)

With regard to music in general (mostly dulcimer for me), I still consider myself an ongoing experiment in how far one can get in music with zero talent but with lots of persistence and love of the music. It's definitely far enough to fool the non-musician public. :wink: I'm not done with me yet, either. It is fun to learn, and to make beautiful sounds, and especially to make music with friends. I think there's plenty of room in the world for us less-than-stellar players.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

HDSarah wrote:"Hi, I'm Sarah and I'm a mediocre whistle player." :D ... It is fun to learn, and to make beautiful sounds, and especially to make music with friends. I think there's plenty of room in the world for us less-than-stellar players.
Ditto! :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8