Motor scooters?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Motor scooters?

Post by brewerpaul »

My wife and I are contemplating getting motor scooters for tooting around back country roads, visiting local friends etc. We're not looking for anything to take on the highways, which scares the bejeezus out of me. These would be more for fun than for practical transportation.

Anyone here have a scooter that they particularly like or dislike? The big brand name ones eg Vespa or Yamaha are too pricey for us to want to consider, but there are a lot of Chinese models out there for less than $1K.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Re: Motor scooters?

Post by I.D.10-t »

You may also want to look into electric and electric assist bicycles. Usually a license is not needed, you don't have to worry about storing separate fuel, much less smelly, quieter, and the over all cost is usually less than that of a scooter. The trade off is a shorter range, and a lower cruising speed.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I would strongly advise against the less than $1K new Chinese scooters. It's not that the Chinese cannot make a good scoot, but warranty, quality and dealer support are usually non-existent for these scoots.

Most dealer won't touch/sell anything that requires them to perform work under warranty. They'll only sell scoots that they expect not to need warranty work (even though these are the scoots that usually give a full 1 year or 2 year parts and labor warranty). Good scoots don't break often.

The really cheap chinese bikes often need all the hoses and wires replaced if not right away, early on. They're very unreliable.

If you're looking for low price and reliabe, Sym (they've made Honda scooters and Hyundai cars for those brands for years) makes the Symply 50 which is usually $1,400 new, and they also make the very cute (i.e. - looks like the new Vespas) Fiddle II which sells at about $1,500. Sym is Taiwanese although both these scoots are made in China (in their own factory, though, so quality control is excellent).

Another good brand is ADLY (actually Her Chee Manufacturing - they're in Taiwan and have made parts for Arctic Cat and Bombadier for years). They make quite a few scooters that start around $1,200 and they also have a small motorcycle looking scooter (the Tracer) that's been selling in my area for $799 or $899 recently.

If these sub $1,500 scooters are more than you want to spend, I'd go for a used Honda, Sym, Aprilia, Piaggio, Vespa, Kymco, Adly, new Lambretta (made by Adly), Yamaha or Suzuki. Used scooters from good companies run forever, mainanence is cheap, and parts are easy to find (that's a big issue with the cheap Chinese models - also, every dealer in my area will work on Chinese scooters but the wait time is usually 2-3 months for repairs...they're given low priority). The one Chinese scoot two of my local dealers sell is Keeway. They seem to start at about $1,200, though, so they're not truly one of the cheaper scoots. I've spoken with several dealers who say the Keeway is very close to being as good as the Taiwanese scooters (most of which are on par with Japanese made scooters these days). Again, they wouldn't sell the Keeways if they were going to cost them a bunch of free warranty work time.

I currently ride an Adly/Lambretta Due 50. Nice little scoot. I've had it since last July, have over $1,200 miles (I only ride in town - lots of short errands and ride to work several times per month like I did today), and it's never had a single problem. Quality is very good - on par with my old Honda Aero 50 and Vespa 50 (OK, the Vespa was nicer, but then again it was a Vespa).

One warning though...it's addictive!

Eric
Celtpastor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Celtpastor »

Well - I don't know, how busy Your roads are - but over here in Germany, Scooters are a real menace. They're, especially on country roads, a lot slower than cars, an obstacle for traffic to flow and cause extremely dangerous situations when people loose their nerves and finally overtake them... I really hate 'em! :swear:
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I can't take to the roads on a scooter. The local Hells Angels will laugh at me. They live right around the corner.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The Weekenders wrote:I can't take to the roads on a scooter. The local Hells Angels will laugh at me. They live right around the corner.
Actually, I've found the bikers and harley riders to be very friendly...the sports bike riders are the ones who have a 'tude.

Eric
Denny

Post by Denny »

SF East Bay - Kansas City

Hello? Eric?
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

...another well-known traffic-danger caused by scooters: motorcycle-drivers falling of their bikes for laughter about those 2-wheeled-toilets driven by "machines" sized like starters for real motorcycles... :P
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The latest chapter at "Stuff White People Like" --Vespa Scooters. It's a must read. The whole blog is a must read.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/
Last edited by mutepointe on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Denny wrote:SF East Bay - Kansas City

Hello? Eric?
Have you been to KC other than the normal tourist areas? We have our biker gangs as well, and a higher murder rate (most years) than anything on either coast except for Baltimore. Granted, St. Louis has more problems than we do, but still...

Eric
Denny

Post by Denny »

Sorry, I thought that Lance was talking about Angels....

I'm so far out in the sticks all we got are Banditos and a couple of Jokers.

Most of the Harley riders are lawyers & crooks, ah yuppies, now-a-days.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Motor scooters are more dangerous than motorcycles, IMO.
The center of gravity is higher, the wheels are smaller,
there is less gyroscopic force, braking is more iffy,
and the result is a more unstable vehicle, a good deal
more likely to go out from under you.

If it were me I would look into a small motor cycle.
Honda used to make a 125 cc motor cycle that
was a good deal safer than a scooter. I think
scooters are the wrong design for two wheels,
and yes, I rode them a good deal.

P.S, This seems the only small motorcycle still made.
If you are going to be out on roads with cars,
it's worth having something stable that
has power when you need it. You don't have to drive fast,
but it's good to have what it takes.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/produc ... 369&scid=0
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

That's my kind of cycle Jim...but have you ridden a scooter lately? One of the large wheeled models with front disc brake? Or one of these (actually a flash back):

http://www.sym-usa.com/line%20up/symba/ ... symba.html

Or this:
http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scoote ... index.html

That said, a small displacement scooter is plenty stable even with smaller wheels...I've been riding 50cc scooters since 1978 with no accidents (except the one time I jumped one, in my driveway, at age 14...an age when stupidity reigneth).

I do consider not having to shift a plus for 2 wheeling in traffic...the more time you can spend focusing only on the road and traffic the better off you are.

Eric
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

The Weekenders wrote:I can't take to the roads on a scooter. The local Hells Angels will laugh at me. They live right around the corner.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

For all the wrongish kinda reasons, that is so funny.

Funny and true..

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Can all of you scooter and motorcycle heads check your driver's licenses and make sure you've signed the organ donor section?

Thanks.

Happy scooting.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow