Low D whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
narrowdog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Low D whistle

Post by narrowdog »

Pammy
I should of added Guido would offset the T3 & B3 holes for you if you ask.

I made myself a Low C last week off setting those holes and it made a
big difference reducing the stretch.

I hope this is helping

Nick
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

So Feadoggie, why have you owned three Dixon low Ds. Do you wear them out :)

I actually have one of Guidos high D whistles. I love the sound of it but I find two things I don't like
1. I have to blow so much harder for the top A & B. I can't get them to stop dropping the octave. I am sure that is only practice though
2. Because the fipple block is cut at 45% I find my bottom lip getting wet and then sore so I can't play it for too long
I feel spoilt with my sweetone (sorry all you sweetone haters)
Guido was really great to deal with. He sent the whistle even before he took payment and wanted me to be happy with it first

I might try one of Tony Dixons. Is the fipple block on his at 45% do you know?
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

And thank you Nick it is helping:)
I wonder if he can shape the fipple block for me and if so by how much?
Makar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Makar »

I started on the Tony Dixon polymer and it is an easy whistle to learn the basics on. By that I mean the reach is fairly easy and it helps you get through the first couple of weeks of squeeking and squawking trying to adequately cover holes. I used it all the time for about 4 months and then gave it away to a friend who was playing recorder - I have converted her in so doing :D She plays better than me now actually :sniffle:

A good starter low D indeed - you will outgrow it fairly quickly but it is minimal investment and makes a nice gift later on.

cheers
Stephen
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Pammy wrote:So Feadoggie, why have you owned three Dixon low Ds. Do you wear them out
No! I've owned 8 or 9 of Tony Dixon's whistles. The manufacture of the Dixon has changed a little overtime and I have bought new ones as I noticed the changes. I wanted to see if there were technical reasons for the changes, you know, "continuous improvement". If I like it, I keep it. Otherwise they find new homes. My original Dixon low D is a bit battle worn but it still works well.
Pammy also wrote:I might try one of Tony Dixons. Is the fipple block on his at 45% do you know?
The underside of the mouthpiece on the Dixon is rounded and quite comfortable.
Pammy then wrote:Guido was really great to deal with.
You won't find a nicer maker to deal with than Guido.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

I haven't outgrown my Sweetone yet so I don't know what outgrowing is but I suppose I must start somewhere

Actually - do you think it better to master(used very loosely) the high D before trying the low one.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Pammy wrote:do you think it better to master(used very loosely) the high D before trying the low one.
Master? It does help to have some facility on a whistle/flute before you tackle the reach on a low D. I do think it's nice to have a few tunes under the fingers before trying a low D. I don't think it matters as much though as your own motivation. If you are haunted by that low D sound, you'll work at it until you can haunt others.

Feadoggie
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Feadoggie wrote: It does help to have some facility on a whistle/flute before you tackle the reach on a low D. I do think it's nice to have a few tunes under the fingers before trying a low D.
I still don't agree with this notion. To me a Low D is a different instrument than a High D and there is absolutely no reason someone should learn saxophone before beginning the violin, or (maybe a better analogy) "master" the trumpet before beginning the tuba, or master the piccolo before beginning the C flute, or learn to drive a Smart Car before learning to drive a Buick.

I know the High D > Low D is a common path that many have taken. But many have taken that path out of happenstance, not design, and I don't think that there is any inherent reason to take that path.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Ouch! :poke:
pancelticpiper wrote:I still don't agree with this notion.
I think we are in agreement actually. I did say the player's motivation is the important factor. But just to be playful...
pancelticpiper wrote:there is absolutely no reason someone should learn saxophone before beginning the violin
I do agree. My son did learn the Alto sax before moving to the Tenor. And he played the Tenor for a year before going to the Bari. Stupid music schools? He still plays sax, couldn't have hurt! I prefer to perpetuate the delusion that it was due to the whistle he played as a sprout.

And I was wondering why there are so many 3/4 sized or even 1/2 sized violins in the world. I suppose they are different instruments. Or maybe violin makers have to start small before they build the real thing.

And a number of ITM schools suggest starting with a high whistle before the flute or pipes. You don't have to do that but ....
pancelticpiper wrote:there is absolutely no reason someone should... learn to drive a Smart Car before learning to drive a Buick
No, but my daughter might have passed the parking portion of her driver's test on the first try had we had a Smart Car insrtead of the Buick. :lol:
pancelticpiper wrote:I know the High D > Low D is a common path that many have taken. But many have taken that path out of happenstance, not design, and I don't think that there is any inherent reason to take that path.
There may be many paths leading to the same destination.

Peace.
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I proudly possess an Overton Low D but have not played it much due to the stretch. I wanted to concentrate on the High D as it seemed a lot physically easier.

I tote the Low D around with me but couldn't really play it which was both stupid and embarassing when people asked me to and it sounded like an elphant with a fly up it's nose.

I was watching Brian Finnegan playing low d last week and realised as I was having some tuition with him I really ought to get to grips with the low D and at least get my hands used to playing it for longer periods and take advantage of his amazing skills.

Since then I've come on leaps and bounds because I know tunes and each day I play it for a bit longer and my hands no longer ache so badly, I'm covering the holes better and hopefully soon enough my ornamentation will catch up.

When you get a low d, don't expect to be able to play it without quite a bit of practise and some days of aching hands. But it's worth it.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

You also might want to consider a low F, which is relatively much smaller than a low D and requires less stretch. It could be a good way to get ready for a low D, and a low F sounds lovely!
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Azalin wrote:You also might want to consider a low F, which is relatively much smaller than a low D and requires less stretch. It could be a good way to get ready for a low D, and a low F sounds lovely!
Now that is an option worth thinking about but what music do you play. Do you get tunes written for an F instrument or just play the music you have and it sounds different

AND

I never thought of the fact that playing a low D might give me aching hands
TunelessJoe

Post by TunelessJoe »

Hi Pammy,

A low F is on my want list, too. Not just because it is a stepping stone to a low D, but because many people prefer the sound of the Low F for some or all slow tunes (my primary interest).

If you learn the fingering for a particular tune on a D whistle, you can use the same fingering for all your whistles in other keys. The output is the same tune in the key of the whistle. The musical wizards here call this "transposing." I just call it convenient.

You still have the small hands issue. If a particular maker is known for a wide-stretch low D, then their low F is likely to be wider than a low F from a maker known for having a smaller stretch. So now you get into the question of "just how small are my hands."

You can usually work with the smaller whistle makers to make sure you get a low F you can finger. I got a copper low F from Nick Metcalf of ethnicwind.com for $80 shipped. He offered to customize it for free to fit my hands if I would send him photocopies of my hands with fingers spread comfortably. I declined because I wanted to see if I could handle his standard design. I can finger his standard design, but that fifth hole is a monster for me to seal correctly.

I offer this as an example. I'll bet Mack Hoover, Daniel Bingamon (Jubilee Music), and others would also be willing to work with you. Since I prefer the sound of metal whistles, I have not looked into whether the plastic whistle makers do this kind of customization, but I'll bet they do.

Joe
-------------------------------------
dangerously inexperienced
i use a safety cord in case I slip on a jig and swallow my whistle
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

Pammy...

I have smallish hands, for a male. My first low whistle was a Chieftain Low F.

Once I learned to use a "Piper's Grip," the playing became easier. And, yes, there were achey hands...and ears! The new stretching, to play low whistles, is like learning Hatha Yoga. Hurts a bit, at first, but then, with some practice, all is well.

Now...years later...Low F is the smallest whistle I play. And it feels quite small, compared to the Low Ds, Low Ebs, and Low E I use! And no achey hands!

If you really like the sound of Lows, you'll spend the time and effort to see how Low you can go. The trip is very rewarding.

Good Luck!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's cool to play all your normal music on a Low F and have the guitar, mandolin, and octave mandolin capo on the 3rd fret. It gives the group a very different sound. We got sort of hooked on that sound for a while.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle