Just curious, what tunes are people working on right now?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Right now I'm working on a group of tunes:

Kesh, Morrison's, and Banish Misfortune (jigs); Jimmy Mo Mhile Stor (air); and Her Golden Hair Hanging Down Her Back and the Boys of Bluehill (hornpipes).

I was always entranced by Banish Misfortune but didn't get around to learning til now; I'm working with a Cathall McConnell version. I asked my daughter the other day, "Isn't that a strange grouping of notes throughout that tune and doesn't it sound wierd?" She said no, it sounded great. I love that girl.

Philo
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Right now I'm "guilty" of working more on vocal stuff-- currently trying to correct a rather flat part on Star of the County Down. :wink: And learning Fear a Bhata and Siuil a Run, slowly but surely.

Whistle-wise, Amhran Na Leabhar and Crested Hens are my priority and I'm trying to correct my tempo on Inisheer. :smile:

Hwyl,
Andrea ~*~
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

Hello Steve

The version I have of The Yellow Tinker doesn't have any Fnats. I don't know much about keys but this version is very playable on the whistle. Tommy Keane plays it on the pipes.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2003-01-21 10:17, dlambert wrote:
Hello Steve

The version I have of The Yellow Tinker doesn't have any Fnats. I don't know much about keys but this version is very playable on the whistle. Tommy Keane plays it on the pipes.
Are you sure? I don't recall hearing him play it but I think we can fairly safely assume he plays something close to Tommy Reck's version of it [as we all do].
Reck used the key the F's in the first part as did JOBM [see The Piper's Rock]. You can get away with playing DG ~G2 DF ~F2 there but you will at least have to bend the F a bit downward.

By the way DLambert I responded by PM to your question about MOB last week, did you receive?
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

On 2003-01-21 01:00, Easily_Deluded_Fool wrote:
For a laugh, compare the ABC midi version of "The Lonesome Boatman" to the mp3!

Both available via a google search.
I like the painting, too, also available via a Google search.

LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

My current top tune for daily polishing is
Culloden's Harvest. This song (which I play as an aire) can be found Deante's Ready for the Storm album.

I'm also working on Scarboro Faire. On SF after I get the main melody polished a bit, I'd like to try some of the descant/harmonies that I remember from the Simon and Garfunkle rendition of this lovely english folk song.

I'm also working on Ghostwood from Lothlorien's MP3 album. Carol's Dorian (by our own CSkinner) and Monaghan's Jig.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

The Merry Blacksmith, Swallowtail, and Banshee - reels.

Lark in the Morning, The Butterfly, Swallowtail, A Hundred Pipers - jigs.

Lochnagar, The Month of January, My Love is like a red red rose, Air for Linda (Neil Gatherer) - airs

Flowers of Edinburugh, The Liverpool, The Galway - hornpipes.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Mooncoin, Contentment is Wealth, Coppers & Brass, Glen Allen, Jackie Coleman's and Dublin Reel.
/Bloomfield
atarango

Post by atarango »

"Rolling in the Rye Grass" for my whistle class...

"Star of the County down" on my low D- also perfecting "Saddle the Pony" on the low D-

and teaching my boyfriend "Gander in the Pratie hole"

-Angela
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

They're making me SING Danny Boy for our band's St. Pat's gig! HELP!!!!!!!!
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2003-01-21 11:16, The Weekenders wrote:
They're making me SING Danny Boy for our band's St. Pat's gig! HELP!!!!!!!!
I had to do that a few years ago. Well, I didn't sing myself but I had to play for it. I found a nice guitar accompaniment in a Irish trad guitar book. It made all the difference as far as I was concerned. I don't like to use other people's guitar parts, just out of vanity. But this was quite nice.

Steve
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

"The pipes, the pipes are ca-ah-lling..."

Hehehehe.
/Bloomfield
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Currently working on McGoldrick's version of the "Terry Tehan's/Her Long Black Hair" Set (From the Fused and Woodenflute Obsession CD's), as well as Conal O'Grada's version of The Galway Rambler, although I'm not sure that one would go over too well at the local session: I suspect most folks around here wouldn't reconize it for what it is right off.....Fun version though :wink:

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2003-01-21 11:31 ]</font>
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Trying to learn Bird in the Bush, Jackie Coleman's, Jim Donoghue's, Kiss the Maid behind the Barrel, and Carty's Pigeon at the moment. And working on polishing Michael Reilly's (G whistle), Bea Maye's (A whistle), and a set of The Three Smokestacks and Jim Hodder's.
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Hmmm, learning a varity of christmas carols (hey, there fun), come thou fount, be thou my vision, a song my friend wrote for church :grin: and trying to figure out how to play "May the living be dead (in our wake)" by Flogging Molly and also trying to figure out a whistle part for "another bag of bricks" (also by Flogging Molly)