Math for Engtlish Students.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Math for Engtlish Students.

Post by s1m0n »

The word "temper" (I muse) is one of those weird english words that are capable of simultaneously meaning something and its exact opposite, such that the statements I have a temper and I have no temper are identical in meaning.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Cork

Re: Math for Engtlish Students.

Post by Cork »

Worse, consider the effect of dropping the article "a", to create immediate ambiguity: I have temper.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

consider the effect even dropping "have" I forget what part of speech that is, I've been out of school a long time.

I temper.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Math for Engtlish Students."

I was done with this thread at the title. :lol:

Okay, okay. I''ll play. "Sanctioned" is another two-edged word, as it gets used in the media, anyway: it can convey either "proscribed", or "supported". Sometimes you don't get enough context to know what the heck they mean.

"Temper" is one of those words that I think became a popular back-formation of sorts to indicate a "bad temper" as contrasted with a "good temper". If we might go with Merriam-Webster on the subject, the word "temper" itself - as a noun - refers more to something or someone's condition due to influences. But, I use the colloquialism "He has a temper" - meaning "he's a fly-off-the-handle type" - without thought at all, myself. Usus loquendi, and all that.
s1m0n wrote:...the statements I have a temper and I have no temper are identical in meaning.
I don't recall ever having heard the second one, ever. Maybe it's a local thing. Were I to hear it hereabouts, I would think it to be a hifalutin' if odd way of maybe saying, "I have no character." Hmm. BUT: one way you'll hear it here is: "He doesn't have [much of] a temper," which, opposite to your meaning, s1m0n - and "doesn't have a" as opposed to "has no" can definitely count with idioms including this case, hereabouts - would instead mean he's a pretty affable sort, or, at least - A ZOMBIE. People born here, or those deeply assimilated, simply just would not normally say, "He has no temper," and mean what I meant, or the other, for that matter. I would consider a person rendering the idiom so to be definitely from somewhere else, and I would have to ask what s/he means, and might probably get sneered at for being a yokel. Seen that sort of bad manners happen before.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

The title did it for me as well: ... not only not an math student ...
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

highwood wrote: ... not only not an math student ...
Don't troll me, sucka. :lol: :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: "Temper" is one of those words that I think became a popular back-formation of sorts to indicate a "bad temper" as contrasted with a "good temper". If we might go with Merriam-Webster on the subject, the word "temper" itself - as a noun - refers more to something or someone's condition due to influences.
I suppose. Literally, it's an ossified metaphor*; ie, one which has sailed beyond metaphor & over the cliché event horizon, and simply become the word for it's referent. Temper in this context is the heat-treatment process that blacksmiths use to both harden and toughen steel, so that it can keep it's edge without shattering every time you smite someone with it.

A badly-tempered sword will shatter in use, whereas a well-tempered piece of metal will not. The original 'anger' metaphor, then, was bad temper[/b]. An angry man is like a badly tempered sword, liable to fly to pieces at inopportune times. However, familiarity and the process by which the metaphoric sense of the word becomes much commoner than the literal definition has lead people to drop the adjective in any context in which bad temper is not being contrasted to good.

* A phrase I just now made up, and like a great deal.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

s1m0n wrote:The word "temper" (I muse) is one of those weird english words that are capable of simultaneously meaning something and its exact opposite, such that the statements I have a temper and I have no temper are identical in meaning.

Nice thought...

Try it out sometime in the company of English people...especially women...

That's when the crack starts.

In my humble experience, it is better to walk away from those who don't have a temper, rather than sit down with those who do.

A lovely phrase though..

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"Cleave" is another one. It can mean "split in two" or "immoveably fixed to" something.
Your cleaver can cleave a man in twain and your tongue can cleave to the roof of your mouth.
It's enough to make you lose your temper.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Innocent Bystander wrote:"Cleave" is another one.
It is, indeed.

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Not exactly the same issue ... But in the US, a driveway is where you park your car, and a parkway is where you drive your car.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Don't forget the regional variant, "I have dis temper"...
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

avanutria wrote:Don't forget the regional variant, "I have dis temper"...
That can easily be avoided if vaccinated at an early age.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

Hebrew is worse..

For example, for saying that nobody is here, I should say something like "Nobody IS NOT here'' and I ask to myself.. if ''nobody is not here'', so, EVERYBODY IS!!

Or another example.. if I want to say that I've never played soccer I should say ''I have never NOT played soccer'' :boggle: :puppyeyes: :poke:
If ''I have never NOT played soccer'' that means that I've ALWAYS played it. It's crazy!!!

Is like double negative, and when I was a child I learnt that - x - = +.

The misteries of the languages :-?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Bothrops wrote:Hebrew is worse..
But isn't Spanish similar? "Yo no tengo nada" does not equal "Yo tengo algo", etc.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.