Russian Birch Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dragon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dragon »

There is, and soon to be was, a shop in Woodstock, VT, called Russian Rennansance. They only carried handmade Russian items, and although the store is closing the owner will continue wholesale. Anyway, they had a birch whistle (called a recorder, but it looks like a whistle to me). Needless to say, it is the strangest whistle I have ever seen. The interment is “chunky” with the birch wood bark intact on the outer side. The sound is sweet, slightly chiffy, and it has a hard-to-explain quality to it. Its playability is a bit tricky, with a strong and clear 2nd octave (no small feet as it looks like it was carved by hand with a knife). This whistle does not follow the strict guidelines for whistledom, in effect it may even fall under the “what-the-hell-is-it” category. But the sound is remarkable clear, strong, and personable. I am rather new to “whistles”…but I have been playing the Native American Flute for a number of years. So, this is a heads up for people to keep there eyes open for whistle makers who are not well known. Looks can be very deceiving. Only problem is…does anyone know how to care for a wooden whistle that still has the bark on the wood?

Needless to say, I am with one whistle more. :wink:
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Check out my friend Eric's page ( despite the name, it's only slightly related to whistles).
http://geocities.com/whistleworld/

Eric is an all around fabulous woodworker, and a maker/player of terrific Native American flutes ( pentatonic or diatonic tunings, double barrels, etc). He knows more about wood than anyone I can think of, from the standing tree to a finished instrument and would be well qualified to help you on this one. Tell him I sent you.
BTW-- another C&Fer from Vermont wrote to me and asked me about an identical Birch whistle!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!