Malts, malts, malts...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Celtpastor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Malts, malts, malts...

Post by Celtpastor »

...that's what this topic shall be about:

Vatted Malts, Pure Malts, Single Malts -
Your experiences with Malt Whisk(e)ys from whatever part of the world they may come!

What are Your favourites - at the moment and all-time - and for what reason?

What's the greatest bargains - and what the biggest ripoffs?

What was the biggest surprise - and what the most exotic one?

C'mon, let's share and learn! :thumbsup:
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Malts, malts, malts...

Post by CHasR »

Celtpastor wrote:...that's what this topic shall be about:

Vatted Malts, Pure Malts, Single Malts -
Your experiences with Malt Whisk(e)ys from whatever part of the world they may come!

What are Your favourites - at the moment and all-time - and for what reason?

What's the greatest bargains - and what the biggest ripoffs?

What was the biggest surprise - and what the most exotic one?

C'mon, let's share and learn! :thumbsup:
Well I cant drink as many as I'd like to anymore (Dont ever get an ulcer, CeltP.)

First of all, for single malts, if its not Scots, it's cr@p.
That includes Bushmills, Jamesons, Suntori, Jim Beam, Seagrams, etc.

Favourite: Talisker 10. (Drinkability & complexity) Followed closely by Mortlach16.(power + robustfullness) Followed closely by LochNaGar (...ooo...sexy!). Followed closely by Clynelish14..(Friendly). Folowed closely by well, all of them really. Not partial to Islay malts, personally.

A Bargain single malt is one that's purchased in New Jersey! (because my state has strict control over spirits, a cash-cow hangover from prohbition),

As for biggest ripoff, it's a blend. UDV Johnny Walker blue label.

Biggest surprise, Highland Park (I forget the year).

Most exotic; Jura.
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

CHasR wrote:First of all, for single malts, if its not Scots, it's cr@p.
That doesn't sound like You tried any...
CHasR wrote:That includes Bushmills, Jamesons, Suntori, Jim Beam, Seagrams, etc.
As I expected - of the mentioned, only Bushmills and Suntory launched Singlemalts as well (ever tried them? Since most offered under these brands are cheap blends - even if they're sold expensively!). The others mentioned offer only blends so far - so You can't possibly have tried any of their malts (yet) :P
You should really give them a chance before saying something like that! I mean - Suntory-malts are, due to their rareness, really way too expansive - but they'll be a nice surprise on Your palate! The 16yr Bushmills-Malt is pretty good, too. And You should know, that in blind-testings, GlenBreton from Canada was voted best 10yr on ther market (two times in a row!). Which was my biggest surprise, since the 8yr was, in fact, crap... Just try them Yourself!
CHasR wrote:Favourite: Talisker 10. (Drinkability & complexity)
Hard to disagree ;-)
CHasR wrote:Biggest surprise, Highland Park (I forget the year).
The 18yr is adorable... :puppyeyes:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Chocolate isn't bad in a malt, either. :P
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

:love:
Though the sweetness spoils the abilities to taste anything else properly, I always found the good-old sherry-cask-matured-malts (the old Glendronachs and Macallans in particular) to go really fine with chocolate...;-)
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

I stand corrected, Seagrams is a blend. However, Jameson's and Beams do produce malts, neither of which is worth seeking out.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I've a particular fondness for Edradour, but I've not been able to find it since coming back to the US.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I tend to stick to the 10-12 year range as there's usually offers to be had and you can pick up decent stuff for £15-£20. Has to be Scottish though, because my Dad would probably kill me if I drank anything else.

Like Talisker, but the peaty stuff tends to give me a migraine if I drink it at the wrong time. Closer to home Aberlour is a great, easy to drink Speyside and there's the old faithful Glenfiddich which always seems to have a bottle on my shelf.

If I'm feeling like upping the quality then Balvenie is usually a good option. The Portwood was great and I've had a couple of bottles of the Doublewood as well.

Hard to go wrong with 12 year old Highland Park as well.

Generally I'll give any whisky a try. It's not as though I'm limited for choice around here...
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

Edradour is great stuff - try finding it on the internet ;-)

The Jameson distillery sells blended Whiskies exclusively - under their own name, that is. There is, however, under the name "Middleton" a pretty rare malt to be found from that distillery as well - usually only sold by independent bottlers. Most Middletons I tried so far were a bit faint, but there's potential - just give them some more years in decent casks. But I wonder, where You may have sampled that... :really:

Jim Beam, however, is not capable of producing Malt Whisk(e)y, since they're a Bourbon-distillery, and Bourbon by law is obliged to contain at least 51% of corn-spirit. :(
taity

Post by taity »

can drink any of the scots whiskys but have to go for highland park and Glenfiddich
just very hard to put them down till there all empty :boggle:
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
dwest

Post by dwest »

My wife and I use to belong to various Cuideagh O' Corn O' Uisghe Beatha societies so at one time we had tasted more malts than I can remember. My wife likes them all especially Talisker and Islay malts. I have never been able to develop a taste for Talisker and Islay malts. We both remember a Glenmorangie from about twenty plus years ago that was quite exceptional. One of our members who was writing a book about single malts at the time had just returned to AZ from Scotland with this bottle that looked suspiciously illegal. I haven't tasted the like ever again. I am going to be getting a bottle of a Virginia produced malt tomorrow, Wasmund's from the Copper Fox Distillery, we'll see how it is.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

dwest wrote:My wife and I use to belong to various Cuideagh O' Corn O' Uisghe Beatha societies so at one time we had tasted more malts than I can remember. My wife likes them all especially Talisker and Islay malts. I have never been able to develop a taste for Talisker and Islay malts. We both remember a Glenmorangie from about twenty plus years ago that was quite exceptional. One of our members who was writing a book about single malts at the time had just returned to AZ from Scotland with this bottle that looked suspiciously illegal. I haven't tasted the like ever again. I am going to be getting a bottle of a Virginia produced malt tomorrow, Wasmund's from the Copper Fox Distillery, we'll see how it is.
Your wife sounds like a woman of good taste. Though I've had malts from all regions that I've loved, my heart belongs to the maritime malts.

At any given time, I may have 3 or 4 different malts on the shelf at home. I've noticed that the majority of non-Islay bottles that show up arrive there as gifts from family. Not that I don't enjoy a good Highland, Speyside, or Campbelltown malt, but there is something about the peaty, iodine-tinged complexity of a good Islay that I find immensely satisfying.

Malts currently on the shelf: Laphroig 16, Bowmore 12, The Macallen 12

Also on the shelf: Tullamore Dew irish, Cazadores Anejo tequila, Tanqueray gin, Reynaud brandy, Kahlua, no-name slivovitz, and drink-at-your-own-risk bottles of grappa and potcheen.

I hadn't realized what a selection I had until I listed them just now. Seems like a lot, but the inventory only changes by about a bottle every couple of months. I'm definitely a sip-and-linger drinker.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

dwest wrote:My wife and I use to belong to various Cuideagh O' Corn O' Uisghe Beatha societies so at one time we had tasted more malts than I can remember. My wife likes them all especially Talisker and Islay malts. I have never been able to develop a taste for Talisker and Islay malts. We both remember a Glenmorangie from about twenty plus years ago that was quite exceptional. One of our members who was writing a book about single malts at the time had just returned to AZ from Scotland with this bottle that looked suspiciously illegal. I haven't tasted the like ever again. I am going to be getting a bottle of a Virginia produced malt tomorrow, Wasmund's from the Copper Fox Distillery, we'll see how it is.

WHAT A WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEHAWWWW!!!!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Chocolate and malt, I know chocolate goes well with a martini, never tried with the dark stuff though (usually had something smoked with extra sharp cheddar on a cracker with whiskey). Haven't had a bottle of Rye in years.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."