tom aebi has a new brochure *drool, sigh*

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: tom aebi has a new brochure *drool, sigh*

Post by Berti66 »

or is the new design more like a nicholson?
berti
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

Berti66 wrote:my other german friend has ordered toms new design now
Ah! So Michaela did it? I bet she's got order number #1 - I'm #2! :D
celticmodes wrote:Gabriel, what differences between this model and your old Reviol? I ask because, from what I've read, the Reviol is also Rudall-ish with some Pratten qualities (large bore, etc.)
Uhm, that's difficult. The flute Maurice makes has a very wide bore and extremely large holes, they're even a bit larger than on my Pratten. I would rather characterize them as Prattens with some Rudallesque qualities. My Reviol produced a very wide, fat and silky sound with some pretty high harmonics, but that mostly depends on the player. Tuning was very good and much better that every Pratten I ever encountered (great C#). It had a lovely low end (and extremely well-working keywork), but it needed quite a bit of air (which actually isn't a problem for me). It also needed some embouchure work to "get it right", just like many Rudalls. It was a good flute, the primary reason to sell it was that my fingers were too short for the flute's diameter at the upper three holes. Caused some cramping. Otherwise it was a very nice and reliable flute.
Berti66 wrote:or is the new design more like a nicholson?
Do you know Gabi Bretscher? She's got an original Prowse Nichsolson, and I actually find some of its qualities in Tom's new Rudall model. Something with the tone reminds me of it, even though I normally advance the view that it's the player who makes the tone. Tom's new model plays WAY more easily though, especially the new embouchure is working much better/easier.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I have had an order with Tom for 18 months, and we have corresponded during this time while he was developing his new designs. My understanding is that he's done two things that have made the most difference: made the bore larger, and made the taper of the bore more regular. His original design copied a RR that showed discontinuities (flattening) in the taper at the sockets

Here are his words taken from an email I received this morning.

"I have a new model out now for my Rudalls, which I wanted to contact you about. Everyone who's tried it says it is my best. I have little interest in making the old models and negociate with all current customers to switch to the new model:

medium bore, straighter
tone much more homogonous, still warm, mellow and round, but richer in harmonics
response: open straight forward feel with nice Rudall resistance
straith forward D flexible, a lot more natural presence, narrow flute but working very efficient and quite loud
same style embouchure, large oval, rounded

it is a bit like combining all the pros of the wider bores with the pros of the narrower models whilst getting rid of the cons."

I take the last sentence to mean that "wider bores" means Pratten-like, and "narrower models" meands Rudall-like, and that thus his new "Rudall" model has characteristics of a hybrid. I'll report back when I get it at the end of the summer, or thereabouts.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Same embouchure? That's interesting. I played quite a few of Tom's flutes in the past (virtually everyone in Germany plays one) and found the embouchure of his new flute very different to the ones I know. Of course that might be linked with the new bore profile, i.e. that the new bore releases the full potential the embouchure offers.

Good to know all that, thanks for posting!
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I had my cocus 6-key Aebi before ... '09 and I believe that it was around October and it was the new design. It is a brilliant flute in every way, shape, and form.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

you all are so mean .........*drool*
I will at least try my friend's once she has it , next year........so curious!

berti
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Glückspilz!

Gorgeous flute. Tom keeps telling me that cocus is not available, but a lot of people get cocus flutes from him... :-? :D

I placed the deposit yesterday. One year to go!
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

He says that he will get orders done by 2010... well I've had a Bb on order since 2005... I email him once a year to ask how it's going, but no reply the last 2 years!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

kkrell wrote:AEBI BROCHURE 2009 english.pdf

Download from here:

http://www.box.net/shared/ju0mfhehp8

Kevin Krell
Deleted, since Tom has a web page with updated info:
http://www.aebi-flutes.com/
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Surely if it's a flute brochure, you have to call it an embrochure.
Arf!
m.d.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

I should update my above post as shortly after that Tom finished my flute which is very splendid indeed. I tried some of his
new flutes which seemed to be very fine, but only a few seconds play from a medium fluter ain't telling anyone anything of
worth.