My Cat is So Weird (Part 8)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Re: My Cat is So Weird (Part 8)

Post by Denny »

and you don't take her to the zoo?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:and you don't take her to the zoo?
SHe IS the zoo. A National Geographic Special, right under my roof.

She goes outside for walkies, though. Her prime directive is to eat grass, puke it up, claw trees, and climb them halfway just to prove she's in the game. She hardly even looks at the rabbits and squirrels. Too mundane, I imagine, after you've seen hippos.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Aanvil wrote:I don't think your cat is telling you to get up but actually calling by name.

"Mwa'-ee'-uh'

That is your cat name.
You may be right! But, that IS the only time she vocalises so. She has different ones for every occasion, such as when she wants to go out, and another for when she realises we are indeed going out, or when she thinks her dish is low on kibble, or is chiding me about the catbox, or just wants my attention, or is wondering where I am (on those rare occasions when she wasn't following me around and lost track), when I'm getting a treat out for her, or when she announces to the world that she's bored. Quite a vocabulary.

She knows her name, but greatly prefers instead to be called "cat". It pleases her.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

Speaking of 4:00 a.m. . . .

My cat keeps waking me up at about 4:00 a.m. lately, but in a mysterious way. I don't hear her meowing, she's not clawing at me or stepping on me or pacing to wake me up. But I wake up at 4:00, and there she is, right beside me on the bed and staring down at me from more or less this pose:

with a sort of cold and distant expression on her face; her eyes are almost unseeing, glassy. It's sort of creepy. I reach up and pet her and she turns into her normal purring self and half-closes her eyes and curls up beside me again. But I don't know what's going on with that weird staring-down-at-me thing. I'm starting to wonder if she's exercising mind control, or absorbing my soul, or something.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote: She knows her name, but greatly prefers instead to be called "cat". It pleases her.
Maybe she's calling you "Holly" when she does the whole "mwa ee uh" thing. It just seems right.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

herbivore12 wrote:Speaking of 4:00 a.m. . . .

My cat keeps waking me up at about 4:00 a.m. lately, but in a mysterious way. I don't hear her meowing, she's not clawing at me or stepping on me or pacing to wake me up. But I wake up at 4:00, and there she is, right beside me on the bed and staring down at me from more or less this pose:

with a sort of cold and distant expression on her face; her eyes are almost unseeing, glassy. It's sort of creepy. I reach up and pet her and she turns into her normal purring self and half-closes her eyes and curls up beside me again. But I don't know what's going on with that weird staring-down-at-me thing. I'm starting to wonder if she's exercising mind control, or absorbing my soul, or something.
Don't want to worry you but this reminded me of a story I heard recently about a friend of my girlfriend's brother's sister or something. Anyway she had a pet snake, of the constricting kind. It was a large beast and had gone off it's food for a few weeks. Just kept lying stretched out on the floor when she took it out of the tank.

So she took it along to a vet and explained all the behaviour and the vet turned round and told her that unfortunately the snake would have to be put down. Upset, she asked why and was told that the snake was in fact starving itself in preparation for a big meal. Basically the snake was getting ready to eat it's owner whole, and the stretching out was to check it could fit her all in!

Dunno why your cat story reminded me of that...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

herbivore12 wrote:I'm starting to wonder if she's exercising mind control...
Could be. Cats, you know...

Or, maybe she wakes up and realises how gosh-darned lucky she is to have you, and is so overcome and hip-mo-tyzed by lurrve that all she can do is stare at the object of her affections: YOU. Take it to the bank, bub. That, from a cat, is as dog-like as you're gonna get. :wink:
chrisoff wrote:Dunno why your cat story reminded me of that...
I knew a guy who used to say, "Cats stare at you until you die and then they eat your face." He kept cats, so I dunno.
izzarina wrote:Maybe she's calling you "Holly" when she does the whole "mwa ee uh" thing. It just seems right.
"Holly"?? :really:

But it is sort of like "wake up": mwa'-ee' for "wake", and uh' for "up". But that's not a usual Nano-household phrase, so probably not.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:
izzarina wrote:Maybe she's calling you "Holly" when she does the whole "mwa ee uh" thing. It just seems right.
Holly, as in Holly Golightly. In the movie adaptation, she called her cat, "Cat". Bleh...now that I've had to explain the darn thing, it just isn't as funny to me. :P

;)
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:
I knew a guy who used to say, "Cats stare at you until you die and then they eat your face." He kept cats, so I dunno.
My thinking has always been that cats are our friends because we're too big to eat.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
My thinking has always been that cats are our friends because we're too big to eat.
Occam's razor never cut to the bone so. A chilling and ironic thought to think as she purrs oblivious in my lap.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

izzarina wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Holly, as in Holly Golightly. In the movie adaptation, she called her cat, "Cat". Bleh...now that I've had to explain the darn thing, it just isn't as funny to me. :P

;)
Oh. Now I get it. Heh. Heh.

:wink:

(Umm...I never saw the movie or read the book or whatever. "Holly Golightly"? Not for me, just on the name alone. I want to see stuff blow up. Guy thing, you understand...)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:(Umm...I never saw the movie or read the book or whatever. "Holly Golightly"? Not for me, just on the name alone. I want to see stuff blow up. Guy thing, you understand...)
:rolly thing:

"Holly Golightly"

:D
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:(Umm...I never saw the movie or read the book or whatever. "Holly Golightly"? Not for me, just on the name alone. I want to see stuff blow up. Guy thing, you understand...)
:rolly thing:

"Holly Golightly"

:D
To go with Denny's link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THknJMU4 ... re=related

and this is good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSUoNjJb ... re=related

;)
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

Nanohedron wrote:
Denny wrote:and you don't take her to the zoo?
SHe IS the zoo. A National Geographic Special, right under my roof.
I can go along with that....I have the same problem with mine. Kida, aka Pyscho Kitty is strictly an indoor cat though. Every so often she will dash out the door only to freeze up after a few steps. I'll tell her "You get back in here!!!" and she'll turn and come slinking back in doing that weird 'belly to the ground and all stretched out' thing that cats do.

Two weeks from now she will be going on a 500+ mile road trip to my new digs in Missourri. That is going to be interesting. Of course, being tarred and feathered is probably interesting too. In light of how she has handled other car trips, I may just warm up the tar and take a dip instead. :shock:
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
emmline

Post by emmline »

Sedatives for anyone who isn't driving perhaps Harp?