New Favorite: Casey's cure for the Low Flute Blues!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

New Favorite: Casey's cure for the Low Flute Blues!

Post by greenspiderweb »

I just had to tell someone about my new favorite flute-and to put it in perspective, if I could only have one flute to play, it would be this one! A lovely Casey Burns Low Bb in Boxwood! I never expected to like this as much as I do-or it to be such a great flute, but it is, and it's a pleasure and treat to play. The low tones sure suit me more than any other flute I've played. Sure, D's are a bit livlier, but for me, this is it. It also is much more responsive than I ever imagined a Bb flute to be, possibly due in part to the Boxwood, and of course, Casey's design.

You also wouldn't believe how easy the second octave is, if you've never played one-it just seems to be an extension of the first octave, and so easy right up to the top of the second octave, and talk about sweet!

I know people have been saying how nice a low Bb flute is for a while now on Chiff, but playing is believing-and yet still a surprise whenever I pick it up. What I hadn't imagined either, is how much I like Boxwood now, thanks all to Casey-which now brings me to a total of 3 Burns Boxwoods-a Pratten, the new Folk Flute, and now the Big Brudder Bb. How good they sound, and how lovely they feel in the hands-effortless to hold for longer periods of time, or a nice feeling however long you play. Thank you Casey, it's a real delight! Thanks to Pat Plunkett also, for without him selling it to me, I'd never have known how well I would have liked it-thanks Pat! It's one of Casey's seconds, but you'd never know it from how it looks or plays, though it's got some nice character marks in the grain.

Casey is, I believe, still offering his Folk Flute in Low A, Bb and C, for a nice price too, though I haven't heard any reports of them being in player's hands yet. They should be almost identical to mine in looks and performance, minus the endcap. It may be a good time to latch on to one if you can, and save a good bit over his regular prices for a low flute-you know, the low flute you've always wanted-like me.

Just thought you might like to know how nice I find this big flute, and the stretch by the way is very easy for me-standard is easy on the top (same as his D Folk Flute), piper's on the bottom (longer stretch here), and away you go. It does have a longer body, and your hands are farther apart-so smaller people may have a harder time-but ask Casey if you're not sure about the measurements. Sure he'd be glad to tell you-or a C might work better for you too, and still give you the cure for the low flute blues!

Here's a quick pic:

Flute on!
Barry
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: New Favorite: Casey's cure for the Low Flute Blues!

Post by plunk111 »

You're welcome!!!

Pat

P.S. TOLD ya!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

That thing looks lovely!

Would you mind to measure the distance from embouchure hole to first finger hole? That's the number that made my hands and arms hurt with the last Bb I had...

Thanks in advance!
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, Pat, you were so right-and I'm very glad you were!

Gabriel-thanks, yes it is lovely, though not as dramatic as the darker (and smaller) picture brings out the grain-it's lighter in person. About the holes-sure, no problem, and I'll throw in a few more measurements to help those who are wondering about it in comparison to their D flutes:

All measurements are approximate and center of the hole to center of the next hole:

Embouchure to L1: 295 mm
L1 to L3: 70 mm
L3 to R1: 94 mm
R1 to R3: 78 mm

Remember the offsets on L3 and R3-they help with the comfort too, especially on the top hand.

Barry
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Barry,
we would appreciate a sound clip :)
- claudine -
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

ooo sound clip would be nice. I love Casey's work. I can't wait to get a job again to make some money 8) .
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

claudine wrote:Barry,
we would appreciate a sound clip :)
- claudine -
Sure, no problem, Claudine & whistlecollector, here are some fine clips of Casey's Low flutes to listen to: http://www.greylarsen.com/store/lowflutes.php And some nice details on them besides.

Or, you can just wait and be delighted like I was when I first played this one-there's nothing like hearing it for the first time in person while you are playing it! :wink:

Barry
chas

Post by chas »

But Barry, can you post a clip by someone who's not The Only Person in the Whole World With Good Tone? ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

chas wrote:But Barry, can you post a clip by someone who's not The Only Person in the Whole World With Good Tone? ;)
:lol: Just trying to keep the topics relevent to recent discussions! OK, let me see...I did have a few clips around here somewhere from a guy named Charlie...of some nice waltzes, I think...oh darn, not on the low flute! Well, then, how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtbKZ830yEE

Edit: found another by our own Onkel on his Bb Burns here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxbpNl9p3g8

I might add here, that clips and recordings are nice, but I don't believe they can even come close to what it sounds like to the player, or hearing them live, so take them for what they are. The best sound is to the player's ear, I think.

Barry
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Here is another clip featuring John Skelton on a Mopane Bb. This was one of my earlier Bb flutes.

This flute is engraved with these words on the headjoint:

Mr. Skelton's
Weapon of
Mass Destruction

Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Way cool...lovin' the Skelton clip.

Ah, one of these days perhaps I'll own a Bflat of my own...

Jason
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Casey Burns wrote:Here is another clip featuring John Skelton on a Mopane Bb. This was one of my earlier Bb flutes.

This flute is engraved with these words on the headjoint:

Mr. Skelton's
Weapon of
Mass Destruction

I had a flute lesson with John the day that flute arrived. I laughed my arse off.

His "Sheep in the Boat" (the one in your clip) on your flute is one of the loveliest things I've heard; his setting's awesome, too.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
greenspiderweb

Re: New Favorite: Casey's cure for the Low Flute Blues! new pics

Post by greenspiderweb »

Thought I should add a couple of better pics than my first quick one:

click to enlarge them, then click again to see full size.