2009 update

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

2009 update

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I can't remember when the last Hoover Whistles update was. A lot or newcomers probably don't even know what it is, so here's who, what, where, how, when, and why:
My website is below. I am Mack. I have WhOA and another condition I call WhIM Whistle Improvement Malady. I've made whistles for fun most of my life, but Irish 6 hole end blown fipple flutes AKA pennywhistle AKA tinwhistle for about 12 years. My goal has been from the beginning to make easy playing, sweet sounding, non-sessions whistles at a low cost from available materials. Quiet has been my signature sound. That has expanded somewhat to include more robust instruments that can be played in sessions. I still do the quiet ones,too.

I've never promoted my whistles aggressively and am not inclined to do that now. I simply want to make it known that I still am in the game.

That was my commercial;the next isn't. I have a collection of Celtic CD's I'd like to share at modest prices to contribute to my purchase of a better camera. Contact me if interested in any or all.

Here's the link to the detailed photo:http://picasaweb.google.com/hoover.mc/CelticCds#
Best to all!
Mack
Tommy

Re: 2009 update

Post by Tommy »

Mack.Hoover wrote: My website is below.
Best to all!
Mack

Mack makes some great whistles.
However I don't see the link to your web site?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Tommy wrote:Mack makes some great whistles.
Tommy is right! Mack's whistles have one of the highest "giggle factors" in the whistle world. If you've played one of Mack's whistles, you know what I mean.

http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

All day long it calls:
'Play me, you know you want to!'
Black-topped timber G.

(Welcome back, Mack!) :party:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Mack.Hoover wrote:That was my commercial;the next isn't. I have a collection of Celtic CD's I'd like to share at modest prices to contribute to my purchase of a better camera. Contact me if interested in any or all.
Oh yeah, the quest for a better camera. One of most useful tools an instrument maker can have is a good camera.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

Heheheh, so he can show his workmanship online :) it's a good investment! I didn't know, but I'll check your whistles, I got curious by the "giggle" factor :P
Daniel_Bingamon

Whistler Bard wrote:Heheheh, so he can show his workmanship online :) it's a good investment! I didn't know, but I'll check your whistles, I got curious by the "giggle" factor :P
Of course, those things, but documenting your projects -- including mistakes -- is very important.

Maybe some day, we'll put together a photo collection of whistle bloopers - the ones that became firewood or scrap metal.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Maybe some day, we'll put together a photo collection of whistle bloopers
Interesting idea, Daniel! I have a small collection of "whistle bloopers" that I keep around as documentation of "what not to do".

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the whitecap on a Gen body is one of my favorite practice whistles for not killing my ears on the high notes.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Two of my three absolute favorite whistles are Hoovers, and there are several others in my permanent (non-give-away-able) whistle bag. If you can get him to make you a ski pole low G, it's worth any price (though fortunately there is very little correlation between what it's worth and what it costs). Nobody does Low G like Mack. :D

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

A Canon Rebel XTi is enroute . Thanks for aiding and abetting!
Now I can take detailed photos of blooopers!
Mack
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

FJohnSharp wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: the whitecap on a Gen body is one of my favorite practice whistles for not killing my ears on the high notes.
I feel the same way about a Whitecap on an Acorn tube. Very sweet, a true LADY of an instrument. My Hoover PCV D is similar. Mack is a master of the art of making whistles that can go into the tonal heights without popping eyeballs (back pressure) or rupturing eardrums.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

One of those wooden low Gs has been on my Whoa list for a long time now.
Daniel_Bingamon

Feadoggie wrote:Interesting idea, Daniel! I have a small collection of "whistle bloopers" that I keep around as documentation of "what not to do".
Feadoggie
That's exactly what I was thinking about it!: "What not to do". That would be a good title. Maybe a video montage with circus music. Oops.

I also know that Mack's photos of his "Reinstruments" is really interesting and I hope he keeps up the good work on that: http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/reinstrument.html
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I've played a wide variety of Mack's whistles, and own several.

He makes outstanding whistles for the price.

Put very plainly, these play like Burkes (or even sweeter) but have a two-digit price tag. Although Mack's whistles have a reputation for quietness, I have a seven-hole session whistle that he made me which will hold its own in even a large session. Here's a recording of it (several years old but still an ok recording I think).

Also I have a lovely low G wooden whistle that he make me from a piece of beech with a red oak mouthpiece, which is one of my most treasured whistles. It's from a very old board and had a rusty nail, which left a distinctive mark around the F-sharp hole...altogether a lovely whistle and a real work of art with a beautiful, haunting sound.

I was just looking for a recording of it and realized I never did a review of it because my job went nutzo right about then. I shall have to fix that...look for a review and piccies and stuff soon. :D

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard