American and English Literature

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

American and English Literature

Post by mutepointe »

You folks are always good for a lively discussion. I much prefer Modern American Literature although I suppose a few Modern English authors have snuck in there over the years. George Orwell is one that comes to mind. I don't want to start dissing anyone favorite authors. I'm just wondering if there are any folks here who don't like Modern American literature, and why not?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline
antispam: No

Re: American and English Literature

Post by emmline »

That's a pretty broad category, isn't it mutey?
I've had to read some awful literature from a wide variety of geographical regions in the pursuit of scholarship.
But, as for American:
Giants in the Earth by Ole Edvart Rølvaag was, for example, quite bad.
Furthermore, I would never again require myself to read anything by William Faulkner.
The Grapes of Wrath ? Please. The 1 page Bathroom Reader version was plenty.

I realize I'm probably a certifiable troglodyte, but I really don't enjoy being depressed, so I tend to seek uppers,
or--more often--read non-fiction.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

That is a broad category...and I'm one of the folks who likes modern American Lit.
Yes, there are some that are torture to read, but there's lots to like too. :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

OK, I'll tighten up the category a bit. Do English people "get" American Literature and vice a versa? Is there much of a market cross-countries? Is there a British invasion in Literature like there is in music? Do British people go ga-ga over our literature like they do over everything else about our culture. (OK, I just threw in that last sentence so they could make their tea with the steam coming out of their ears.)

If a book gets too difficult to read because I get bogged down in trying to understand what is going on because of unfamiliar words or cultural or historical events that I know nothing about, I lose interest. If a book requires a knowledge of cricket or boarding school or something else that has no meaning in my life that I won't be able to figure out, I'll lose interest.
白飞梦
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

mutepointe wrote:If a book gets too difficult to read because I get bogged down in trying to understand what is going on because of unfamiliar words or cultural or historical events that I know nothing about, I lose interest. If a book requires a knowledge of cricket or boarding school or something else that has no meaning in my life that I won't be able to figure out, I'll lose interest.
This happened to me with the Barrytown Trilogy- not that I was bogged down exactly, but there were so many things referred tothat I just plain didn't know(easy cheese, tippex, all that soccer stuff) it made me curious. So I luckily found a "translator", which made my enjoyment of them much more. In addition to being entertained by some great writing, I learned a bunch of new stuff.

When I think modern English lit, I think P.G. Wodehouse then I think of Bertram Wooster& Jeeves, which leads to thinking of House and then I'm thoroughly confused...but I do love those Jeeves and Wooster stories. :love:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

mutepointe wrote:You folks are always good for a lively discussion. I much prefer Modern American Literature although I suppose a few Modern English authors have snuck in there over the years. George Orwell is one that comes to mind. I don't want to start dissing anyone favorite authors. I'm just wondering if there are any folks here who don't like Modern American literature, and why not?
What is classified as "modern" here?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
mukade

Post by mukade »

You cannot discuss modern English literature without including Irish lit, too. :poke:

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

I like literature. Sans prefix.

My collection of reading material has large amounts of American writers (Mario Puzo, James Ellroy, Raymond E Feist) and large amounts of British writers (Ian Rankin, Terry Pratchett, Christopher Brookmyre). I even have a lot of books that aren't crime or science fiction...

I find with the large amount of American influence in film and TV we can read American writers with no problems at all and understand most of the cultural references they use. Just like I can watch The Sopranos and get most of the references, books aren't any different.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It's hard to avoid American Literature here. The review magazines seem to get their material wholesale internationally, so American literature is well represented.

I like William Faulkner. Very black humour, but very funny. I'm thinking of "As I lay Dying" (I think it was).
I recently read the collected works of Eudora Welty. One character I can't stand is Henry James. The prose style defeats me. I find Thurber's pastiches of him hilarious.

F. Scott Fitzgerald mystifies me. What was he trying to say? "I wish I was rich?" This is not an author I would choose to read for pleasure.

Then again, the word "modern" is the key. Are these modern? Depends on how you define it.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I cannot lightly dismiss the literature of a country that has given me Ray Bradbury.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Here is a crossover: Frank O'Connor. "My Oedipus Complex and other stories". I loved "My First Confession". I didn't realise until years later that Frank O'Connor is an American.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

He wasn't. He was a Corkonian.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Im just not a 'storybook' kinda guy.
however, if you'd like to discuss the merits of Barber, Persechetti, or Mingus vs. Walton, Tippett, or Maxwell-Davies; count me in.
(who? wha? :lol: )
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

izzarina wrote:
mutepointe wrote:You folks are always good for a lively discussion. I much prefer Modern American Literature although I suppose a few Modern English authors have snuck in there over the years. George Orwell is one that comes to mind. I don't want to start dissing anyone favorite authors. I'm just wondering if there are any folks here who don't like Modern American literature, and why not?
What is classified as "modern" here?
There is probably a formal definition of "modern." I like to use my own difinition of "modern" that I apply to movies. Once three people wearing hats appear in a movie, it's no longer modern. Three hats and it's no longer relevent to me. You can use whatever definition you like.
白飞梦
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

emmline wrote:
I realize I'm probably a certifiable troglodyte, but I really don't enjoy being depressed, so I tend to seek uppers,
then do not read 'The Road' (McCarthy) or 'Native Son' (Wright)