Favorite whistles in $75-$100 range?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Re: Favorite whistles in $75-$100 range?

Post by Thomaston »

NicoMoreno wrote:
jkrazy52 wrote:Q. Why does a simple "favorite whistles in the $75-$100 range" always bring out the "you can sound just as good on a Generation (Oak, Feadog, etc) with more practice" crowd?
A: Because it's true.

Anyway your "joke" is asinine. The two people who replied in that vein (myself and crooked) made a pretty good point of discussing the whistles we've played and would prefer in that range.

But the point I was trying to make is that posting here asking for someone's favourite doesn't tell you anything. If you're a good enough whistler to tell the difference then you're good enough to know what you want. And that isn't necessarily going to be what someone on an internet forum says.

On top of that, I was trying to make a point about the first two posts, the type of which is also a common occurrence: people with no experience with a whistle touting it as a good choice. I do thank Protean for backing up his post, because it is eminently more useful than his initial post.
Get off your high horse. I don't see how anything I did was wrong. I've given the OP another brand to research. I would figure that anyone looking for a whistle would start researching and finding old reviews of a few select brands anyway, so the way I see it I've given the guy another name in that price range to look at. Just because you personally had a bad experience with a Syn set doesn't mean there's not a lot of people here that have spoken highly of Erle's whistles.
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Thomaston wrote:Get off your high horse. I don't see how anything I did was wrong. I've given the OP another brand to research. I would figure that anyone looking for a whistle would start researching and finding old reviews of a few select brands anyway, so the way I see it I've given the guy another name in that price range to look at. Just because you personally had a bad experience with a Syn set doesn't mean there's not a lot of people here that have spoken highly of Erle's whistles.
Ah, but there's the rub... I'm not on any high horse. And I didn't say I had a bad experience with Syns. You should really read my post more carefully. I actually really like my B.

And just because you say there's lots of people that have spoken highly of them doesn't make it so.

Your post wasn't "wrong". It was unhelpful. Hearsay, second or probably third hand information. How many posts did you read where someone did the same thing you did before you came to the conclusion that Syns were good whistles? Forgive me for pointing it out to you... you might have clicked on the link to find that I was being pretty tongue-in-cheek about it.

There's the old story about the man who went around telling everybody that hell was serving ice cream. He was lying through his teeth of course, but after a while when lots of people had gone, he went to, because, you know... he'd heard that lots of people had said that hell was serving ice cream.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Well, if my original post is unhelpful, undoubtedly this banter back and forth is equally unhelpful, so this will be my last thing to say. I didn't get a "tongue-in-cheek" vibe from your post, it seemed like more of a "jerk" response. If that's not how you meant it, then my apologies for misinterpreting.
As for reading posts more carefully, no you didn't use the exact words bad experience, but you did say "I have a Syn set and the only one I consider good is the B," which would indicate at least a less than favorable overall experience.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

But the point I was trying to make is that posting here asking for someone's favourite doesn't tell you anything. If you're a good enough whistler to tell the difference then you're good enough to know what you want. And that isn't necessarily going to be what someone on an internet forum says.
Sure, I'll just go over to the local whistle store! Or maybe all my relatives who play whistle and are constantly having me try new whistles can bestow me with all the ones between $75-$100. This is why we have this forum, if you are good enough to know what you want then you don't need to participate. Let us guys who are not good enough to "know what we want" give each other recommendations, and you can just play the ones you know you are "good enough" to play. Now I'll ask: All of you who don't know what you are doing, are not good enough, hear what others say, I would be glad to hear your recommendations in the price range I mentioned. By the way, I can kick some arse on a Feadog, I want something more expensive!
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

I've given the OP another brand to research
You did give me another brand to research and I thank you.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Sindt, while not a powerhouse, is really something wonderful,
and I do think it has enough volume.

(Yeah, when people ask a question we often read all this stuff into it
and jump to conclusions about where they're coming from. Better
just to answer it, IMO.)
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

In that price range, of the whistles that I own, my favorite is a Sweetheart D in cherry wood. I don't think he makes it anymore though.

I had a Syn and liked it very much. I traded it away though.

For a session, I'd ask there rather than on the Internet. Peer pressure and perception count as much as sound. If the leads in the group favor a certain brand, that is what that group will tend to favor. In a large session, you probably can't hear yourself anyway (unless you are loud enough to blast everyone else out and you'll be hated).

This last bit is half-joking, half-serious: One way to go is to be a poser. Buy an expensive whistle that is a favorite at your local session and have the leads tell you that you made a good choice. Odds are that you will fit in better than with a choice made by strangers on the Internet.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

NicoMoreno wrote:
jkrazy52 wrote:Q. Why does a simple "favorite whistles in the $75-$100 range" always bring out the "you can sound just as good on a Generation (Oak, Feadog, etc) with more practice" crowd?
A: Because it's true.

Anyway your "joke" is asinine.
Asinine could also apply to your comment, but thank you ever so much for your opinion. What may be true in your world doesn't make it so elsewhere. IT'S A PERSONAL OPINION. Frankly, I don't care for the sound of a Generation or a Feadog, no matter who is playing them ... including Mary Bergin. Again, this is merely my personal taste. No one is required to agree or disagree. (I really don't care ... )
Last edited by jkrazy52 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

okay... i don't know squat. i live a hundred miles from the next nearest whistle player and the nearest session is even further. i've only been playing for a short while, but i have fun and i enjoy it... all that said... (to emphasize that i really don't know squat ... kinda like the guy who said something like ... "i ain't no artist, but i know what i like."... ) so i guess i kinda fit your profile of who you'd like to respond.

i have a lot of whistles ... but they are predominantly of two brands... i have Susato's and i have Dixon's. i love them both.... what i love most is that they don't sound like a feadog. don't get me wrong, i like the feadog... but the more i play (a couple hours a day, every day) the more i like susato and dixon. the susato is LOUD! and it is a very "clean" sound. some say it is almost flute-like. i don't know as i'd go that far... but it's close. a small bore kildare D goes for around $35 to $40 ($39.90 if you buy it direct from susato.) it can be a tad demanding when you get up around the second octave A and B, but it'll give 'em to ya... loud, strong and very clear once you get used to the whistle. the dixon's tend to be a lot quieter. at least the polymer dixon's do. the dixon trad seems to get good reviews. i really like mine. i'd say that the dixon trad is about halfway between the dixon polymer high D and the susato small bore hi D. the dixon's are nowhere near as demanding in the upper end of the range as the susato. the trad goes for around $25 to $30.... the poly goes for around $20. granted they are not in the price range you asked about, but, in listening to mp3's and vid's of both susatos and dixons... i think they both have a great sound and sound as good as anything else out there just about, or close enough for horse shoes anyway.

i admit that even though i am fairly new at the whistle (about a year or so), my next whistle will likely be an Oz. i've heard enough of them to know that i love the sound. am i good enough to push the whistle to its potential... hell no... i ain't good enough to push a feadog, but is that the point of playing music... you're not allowed to have a really good whistle until you achieve the heady heights of virtuosity? i want to get one. good enough reason for me. should be good enough for anybody else, too... no litmus test required. if i have the money, and Mitch is willing to take my money and sell me a whistle... is there any reason why a seasoned veteran of the whistle should say i'm not good enough for it?

i'm not good enough for the guitars i own either... but i own them. i play them. i enjoy myself. so... uhmm... errr... uhhhh... dang. how'd i get up on this box? crap! i better get outta here. hope the mic wasn't on... dang.

be well,

jim (who doesn't know enough to fill a small thimble.)
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

jkrazy52 wrote:Q. Why does a simple "favorite whistles in the $75-$100 range" always bring out the "you can sound just as good on a Generation (Oak, Feadog, etc) with more practice" crowd? :poke:

A. Because it's C & F .... and business as usual. :D

With the fair warning that I play only for my own enjoyment (& family) -- in the $75-$100 range, I would pick a Mack Hoover whistle (He can tailor them to be soft or loud, as requested) or Tommy Dion, who also has some PVC whistles that might fall in this range. Both excellent makers, IMO. (I have at least 5 by Mack and 3 by Tommy.) Another favorite in the range but no longer made is the GFM. It's a strong whistle, well in tune.

An Alba tunable is just a few dollars over the $100 mark depending on the exchange rate for the day. Nice whistle, too.

... my 2 cents ...

The choice really is a personal one. What sound is your favorite?
Lotta truth all throughout this post
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

As always, I put in my vote for Thornton whistles. Pretty, pretty, pretty (looks and sound). On the quiet side, though, so maybe not what you're looking for. My Thornton and my Hoover are my perfect whistles.

And, I understand the need for a nice, new whistle. Even though our $10 whistle sounds great, we sometimes just want to give ourselves something special. I hope you find your perfect whistle :thumbsup:
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

If Sindts are still in that range, they get my vote.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I've only played a few different whistles and like my most expensive one the most, but it doesn't fit in your price range.

I'm amazed at how upset people can get when someone shows enough interest in the pursuit to ask which whistle is favourite, particularly when we aren't talking Stradavarius here. Even 'expensive' whistles don't cost very much in the scheme of things. Many fishermen/golfers/heavy drinkers would spend more each month on tat for their hobby than I spent on my 'pricey whistle' (£100/$150ish) which is going to last me a lifetime.

Why should anyone struggle along with a dodgy Walton when for just a small outlay they can get something that sounds so much better? Is this part of some 'rite of whistling' in order to be a good player?
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm gonna take a shot here.

First, if you'd ever had the good fortune to play a Walton Golden Tone C, the characterization "dodgy" would never enter your mind - one of the best around at any price.

Second, and not in anyone's defense because it's not needed, what raises some folk's ire I suspect is that:

- there's a long standing tradition attached to the playing and it's the playing that's first and foremost

- these wonderful little relatively cheap whistles have been around a long time as part of that tradition and are steeped in it; thereby being available to many people who do wondrous things with them (musically)

- I myself, being a bit of an "outsider" to that tradition, have come to love and revere the scores of these whistles I've accumulated over the years and it's they that first ignited my pure joy at playing the music

Now, none of that's to say that the more expensive and in many cases "better" whistles being made by wonderful craftsmen should not also be accepted for those that want them - including me as well.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.