Do you wear (or carry) a watch?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you wear (or carry) a watch?

Yes, and I am under 30.
8%
Yes, and I am over 30 (or 30 exactly).
38%
No, and I am under 30.
2%
No, and I am over 30 (or 30 exactly).
50%
Other answer (please explain).
2%

Total votes: 52

Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Re: Do you wear (or carry) a watch?

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Jack wrote:it's hard to lose something that's strapped to you.
Yep. That's why, when I bought my mobile, I bought the carry-case that allows me to clip it to my belt.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I wore a watch routinely until about 10 years ago. Now, I never wear one. There's a clock on my cell phone. At home, there are clocks on the living room wall, kitchen stove, bedside table, etc.. At work, there are clocks on the walls, on the computer, etc.. In the car, there's a clock on the dashboard. When hiking, I keep an altimeter watch attached to the shoulder strap of my backpack. I never wear a watch, yet I'm still a slave to the clock. <sigh>
Last edited by jsluder on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

jsluder wrote:I wore a watch routinely until about 10 years ago. Now, I never wear one. There's a clock on my cell phone. At home, there are clocks on the living room wall, kitchen stove, bedside table, etc.. At work, there are clocks on the walls, on the computer, etc.. In the car, there's a clock on the dashboard. When hiking, I keep an alitmeter watch attached to the shoulder strap of my backpack. I never wear a watch, yet I'm still a slave to the clock. <sigh>
Indeed :lol:

I have not wore a watch for thirty years now.

Down in my local Pub...or my workplace..there are those who do....

Every now and then they look at the watch..for no valid reason...

The guys in the Pub ain't goin' nowhere and the guys in work ain't go'in anywhere eitheir..

This fascination of knowing the exact time, at any one moment is beyond me.

If ye really want to know what time it is..look around, there's always a clock somewhere..

Failing that ..just ask somebody..if ye really want to know...

Plenty of it about..enough for everybody.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

jsluder wrote:yet I'm still a slave to the clock
There's a reason it's called a "cell" phone - you can't get away!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

There's even a clock on my frickin' iPod, fer cryin' out loud. Why does anyone need a clock on an iPod?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

jsluder wrote:There's even a clock on my frickin' iPod, fer cryin' out loud. Why does anyone need a clock on an iPod?

I use it to set the sleep timer. Kinda nice to go to sleep with music on and have it turn off afterwards.

But...
I wear a chronometer ( more on that in a bit) and have a multitude of timing devices. I used to do sports car rallys (TSD) way back when and needed a stop watch close at hand (wrist). I like mechanical watches, at least ones with real hands on the face. I also use fountain pens so that should say something as well.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I would not be caught dead at work without a watch. I'd wear one even if it was a BROKEN watch. Without it, I'd be thought to be some kind of frivolous wastrel.

I still tote around a cell phone for the alarm, though! :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I haven't worn a watch in many years. With my job, I'm always having to keep up with the time- be there on time, maintain a schedule, so gotta get out of the office on time, I know where I need to be, and when, at certain points on the route so that I make dispatch-a really important time..so I'm constantly checking the clock on the wall at work or the one in the Jeep and hurry, hurry, hurry...imagine how you feel when you are late for an appointment,,then feel like that all day everyday...

When I'm not on the job...I don't want to know what exact time it is...
so, no watch
I miss my watch I had back in the '80s. It was a Swatch, and was pink and aqua with funky designs. It was the coolest thing ever. I've always been into funkier watches, which is probably why I can't find one I like now :P
:lol: Izzy, check Ebay. Last year I found an old jewelry box of the girls and inside were both of their Swatch Watches. Jan's even had the "swatch guard" still on the face. I looked on Ebay to see what they were worth and there were a bunch on there at that time, maybe still are...
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thank you, everybody! So many responses. Really interesting! :)
McRick

Post by McRick »

I just recently got a new watch after not wearing one for most of my adult life (over forty now). No cell phone or other device. I carried an old watch in my pocket for years, minus the band, and it was all I needed. But now I need help keeping track of what day it is. No worries about senility or anything! :)

Well...okay...truth be known I was a little worried at first. So I went to see a doctor and he asked if I was forgetting anything else such as passwords, security codes, phone numbers, how to get home, etc. My answer was no, so he asked about my job. I said my job requires me to spend the better part of every day alone in the woods without any supervision, and often days go by without seeing or talking to anyone at all. The doctor pointed out that the mind tends to let go of information it deems useless, and since I don't have any real need to know what day it is my mind stopped keeping track of it.

Still, it's kind of disconcerting, so I got a digital watch with all sorts of 'stay connected' features like day/date, sunrise/sunset, moon phases, alarms, alerts, memos, etc. It's actually pretty cool.

If anyone cares, it's a Casio Pathfinder, less than $40 at Walmart.
dwest

Post by dwest »

McRick wrote: The doctor pointed out that the mind tends to let go of information it deems useless,....
If anyone cares, it's a Casio Pathfinder, less than $40 at Walmart.
I'm sorry what kind of watch?
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I have worn a watch ever since I can remember. I got one as a first communion present. I am an RN (registered nurse) and when I worked directly with patients the wrist watch was a necessity for timing heart beats, respirations, knowing when to give medications, etc. Then I got a research job and the watch again came in handy for timing things. I don't work in research any more but the watch is still important so I know when quitting time comes. I am 57. I do not own a cell phone or blackberry. I do, however, own an Ipod shuffle that I use a lot.
Mike
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Your Casio sounds similar to my watch.

I got a Casio Module No. 2926 for Christmas but the printed manual is impossible for my old eyes to read.

I have to load up a pdf version so I can read the instructions, but that doesn't help when you are out and around and it isn't set to the proper function.

I haven't worn a watch regularly since the early 60's.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I used to own a Casio digital watch where I actually understood and could remember how to control all of the functions of the watch. With four control buttons the functions of the watch were very logical and straightforward. However, with my present watch with only three buttons, the control functions aren't that easy to remember. Whenever you have to hold two buttons down at the same time for three seconds, that is something that I never seem to be able to remember from months before when I did it last. I keep the instruction sheet stuck away in a drawer where I can find it when I need it.

Trying to reset the clock in my car is another matter. I've pushed every sequence of buttons that I can think of but nothing happens to the clock. With our recent time change it is now only 25 minutes off, which is not very convenient. I had the operator's manual in the glove box when I had the car repaired, but when I looked for it sometime later, it was gone. These are always for sale on the internet, and I have a good idea where they come from.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have a Citizen metal divers sort of watch. It's an imitation Rolex
It has a date box and a second hand.
It runs entirely off light. I'm often trying to get to places at a certain time,
e.g. classes, groups, so a watch is helpful. And the rugged metal case
compliments my macho persona.

I used to have a Seiko divers watch, good down to 37 fathoms.
It had waves on the back of the case.
I practiced saying in a Bogart voice:

'Shee that baby? That's a Sheiko divers watch.
Good down to 37 fathoms.
Sharks get pretty big down there, shweetheart.'

How could anybody do without such a thing?