On the tube tonight

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

Okay, so I watch a lot of TV.

Tonight on American Movie Classics (AMC)at 8 PM, is the movie "The Quiet Man" starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

Terrific tale of an Irish born lad, who went to America as a boy and returned home to fall in love with more than his homeland.

I don't remember a whistle being in there, but they do play "The Wild Colonial Boy" which is one of the first songs I learned on whistle. Because I heard it on this movie.

My favorite John Wayne movie! And who doesn't love Maureen O'Hara.

Enjoy!
Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slowair on 2003-01-13 15:25 ]</font>
ScottStewart
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ScottStewart »

Great movie! One of my favorites, also.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I agree-- this is just about the most Un-John-Waynelike John Wayne movie you can imagine. The scenery is wonderful, and all the bit part actors/actresses are delightful. Don't miss it if you've never seen it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Also one of my favorites. The scene where John Wayne drags Maureen O'Hara across half of Ireland to give her back to Victor McLaglen because he didn't get the dowry and the ensuing good natured but brutal fight with McLaglen is priceless...Not to mention the good father Ward Bond and Barry Fitzgerald rooting them on...A joyous movie.

Philo
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Something to amuse you while watching the movie, count how many times John Wayne lights a cigarette and then throws it away.

The only downside is the damn theme music will be stuck in your head for days. Dum dum diddle diddle dum dum diddle diddle dum dum....

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

and don't forget the horse race! the classic bonnet grab! wonderful

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tomcat on 2003-01-13 19:01 ]</font>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-01-13 18:25, beowulf573 wrote:
The only downside is the damn theme music will be stuck in your head for days. Dum dum diddle diddle dum dum diddle diddle dum dum....
If I'm not mistaken, the music during the long drag back to the town is to the tune of Rakes of Mallow.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Thanks...Now I've got my evening planned, might even go rent it from the video shop. Image

-an Irish Cowboy

Just called the video shop...they have it layed away for me...should be great on big screen and surround sound! I've never seen this one! Can't believe it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lorenzo on 2003-01-13 20:52 ]</font>
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

On 2003-01-13 19:05, blackhawk wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the music during the long drag back to the town is to the tune of Rakes of Mallow.
I did a search on tunedb and it seems to match although I think they just repeat the A part over and over.

And I was wrong in my previousl post, it should be more...

dum DUM dum DUM diddle diddle dum DUM dum DUM diddle diddle...
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

"There'll be no locks or bolts between us, Mary Kate, except in your own little mercenary heart!" What a great line!
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've been hanging out on this board too long. I saw the header "on the tube tonight" and my first thought was this was another thread on how to decorate your whistle!

Redwolf
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I loved it. I mean, it had 1952 Hollywood sensibility and he was a bit rough with her, but she was unreasonable and probably deserved it. A woman likes a little rough handling sometimes. :smile:

He sure DID waste cigarettes. (I do not smoke.)

:smile:
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

On 2003-01-13 22:48, JessieK wrote:
I loved it. I mean, it had 1952 Hollywood sensibility and he was a bit rough with her, but she was unreasonable and probably deserved it. A woman likes a little rough handling sometimes. :smile:

He sure DID waste cigarettes. (I do not smoke.)

:smile:
Trivia time, the old man who was on his death bed until he heard about the fight was John Ford's. the director, older brother. And the kids on the cart with Maureen O'Hara before the horse race were John Wayne's children.

There's a great "making of" short that came with the DVD I have hosted by Leonard Maltin. It took Ford years to get the movie made, no one would give him the money, even after he had won three Best Director Oscars. Finally he signed a deal with Republic Pictures and in return for making Rio Grande (also starring Wayne and O'Hara) for them they gave him the money for The Quiet Man.

He won his fourth Best Director Oscar for The Quiet Man.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

50 years on, and it's still the biggest reason to go to Cong, apart from the peace and quiet, and the beautiful scenery!

I went round the "Quiet Man" museum about 3 years ago:

http://www.quietman-cong.com/museum.htm

During a wonderful visit to Ireland. Even the rain just added to the atmosphere!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing