Whistling in the wind

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nick E

Whistling in the wind

Post by Nick E »

A meteoralogical music question...Why is it so hard, if not impossible to play the whistle in a strong wind? At least the times I have tried to I get little to no sound. How fast must the wind be to make it hard to play? What are the physics that cause the dissapearing sound?
rap4th
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Whistling in the wind

Post by rap4th »

OK I will take a shot at this one....but I am probably wrong.

I would think that if you are facing into the wind, the wind is going against the wind coming out of the whistle thus canceling it out.

Now, I would think that if you put your back to the wind that you would be able to play. However, if your back is to the wind, it could be that the notes are coming out of the whistle but you are not hearing it due to the sound of the wind going by your ears.

Um....yeah....that is what I think happens.

Rob
Rob's Irish Whistle Page
http://www.rap4th.com/tinwhistle/
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

Yes, the wind gets in the way of your own, and your wind cannot hit the blade.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Some brands of whistles do better in wind than others. Wearing a hood, or hiding behind an object, turning away from the wind are all some tricks that can help.
caitlin ruadh

Post by caitlin ruadh »

Ugh, I hear you. You should try playing the flute in the wind--it's ten times worse. Sometimes at festivals I couldn't even get a sound to come out--boy was that embarrassing!

Caitlin
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

I wear a hood and hide behind objects but it has nothing to do with whistling
Sorry couldn't resist it
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

It's hard to play underwater too...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nick E wrote:Why is it so hard, if not impossible to play the whistle in a strong wind? At least the times I have tried to I get little to no sound. How fast must the wind be to make it hard to play? What are the physics that cause the dissapearing sound?
Well, all acoustic instruments work on the principle of something vibrating, coupling those vibrations to the resonant part of the instrument and then to the air to produce sound. So in the case of whistle you have to ask yourself: what is it that's actually vibrating?

It's nothing obvious, like a reed or string or membrane. But the air from the windway hitting the blade sets up a series of small whirlpools or eddies of air - called a von Karman vortex street - alternating above and below the blade. This forms a virtual "air reed" that drives the sound. (Flutes work the same way, with the embouchure hole edge forming the blade.)

When a strong wind blows into the window, it destroys and dissipates these eddies as fast as they can form. So no sound. And it doesn't take much. Wind resistance will depend on the strength of the vortex street, which depends on things like the air velocity from the windway to the blade, the size of the window, etc.

The only solution is to shelter the window by e.g. turning away from the wind, covering the window, turning the head joint upside-down so the window is on the underside of the whistle. Obviously, these also reduce the sound reaching the listeners' ears. So it's always a compromise.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

This is an animation of a "Von Karman Vortex Street". Thats a fancy-schmancy term for how the air works when it hits the blade edge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vorte ... mation.gif

When the wind blows across the top of your whistle, it disrupts this oscillation of air and causes the wistle to become silent. (no waves, no music dude!). You can make a simple wind shield from a thin section of plastic tubing that is at least twice the outer diameter of your whistle. A piece of double-sided tape is placed in a strip running down the bottom of this tube. Slide it over the voicing section of your whistle and stick the tape to the bottom. This TOTALLY TUBULAR whistle shield works like, WAY BAD Dude!!!
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Zax

Post by Zax »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:You can make a simple wind shield from a thin section of plastic tubing that is at least twice the outer diameter of your whistle. A piece of double-sided tape is placed in a strip running down the bottom of this tube. Slide it over the voicing section of your whistle and stick the tape to the bottom. This TOTALLY TUBULAR whistle shield works like, WAY BAD Dude!!!

Heyyyyy!! TOTALLY rad tip, dude!!! i like SO woulda never thought of that!
:D
Aim for Deep Focus.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Zax wrote:
Thomas-Hastay wrote:You can make a simple wind shield from a thin section of plastic tubing that is at least twice the outer diameter of your whistle. A piece of double-sided tape is placed in a strip running down the bottom of this tube. Slide it over the voicing section of your whistle and stick the tape to the bottom. This TOTALLY TUBULAR whistle shield works like, WAY BAD Dude!!!

Heyyyyy!! TOTALLY rad tip, dude!!! i like SO woulda never thought of that!
:D
What a great idea. Even a rolled strip of cardboard or paper might work in a pinch. I might try the later, next time there is a breeze.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I practice in the open air.

You get weather-wise quickly. Here in the UK: South wind, good, North Wind, bad. West wind, wet, East wind, dry.

And you get so that you feel the wind on both ears to get the windway as shielded as possible. When the wind is gusting, I must look like a weathervane.

I practice overtone flute in the open air. Because the windway is towards you, you have to face into the wind for that. And hold the bloody thing up. Considering that, it ought to be possible to minimise the interference on the whistle by holding that thing up, too. I'll let you know.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

There are a few things that one must really never do into the wind.

Whistling is the least problematic of them.

:lol:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

As mentioned above, turning the whistle head upside down helps.