How similar are "identical" whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

How similar are "identical" whistles?

Post by squidgirl »

I have a question for our more experienced members: How similar are "Identical" whistles? I don't have much experience trying multiple whistles of the same brand, since most of mine either came hermetically sealed and/or via mail order.

I own a Sweetone and a Meg, of which the Meg is a much better whistle, which seems kind of flukey, since the Meg is s'posed to be the one with worse manufacturing tolerances. And then I broke a Feadog and got a replacement which was eerily similar.... and I have 2 Clares, of which the brass one sucks and the nickel one rocks, which also seems to argue for flukeyness. And 2 Waltons which seemed similarly mediocre before I tweaked them, and which took the same tweak quite well, at least on the occasions I could get it right (I used putty to stick it on, so it falls off occasionally, and can be tricky to replace just right). I never really play them untweaked, so I don't really have a good sense of what they're like in their virgin state.

I was wondering because in another thread, Jiminos described his Dixon Trad as being pure sounding, while I'd definitely say mine is a tad breathy. This gives me an excuse to (WHOA!) get a nickel Trad, because it might not only look different from my brass one, but sound different too...
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: How similar are "identical" whistles?

Post by brewerpaul »

They can be quite different indeed.
The tone of a whistle comes in large part from the voicing, which involves adjusting the dimensions of the window, blade, windway, etc in the sound producing region of the whistle. TINY variations in any of these dimensions can result in big changes in the sound.
Theoretically, mass produced whistles like the Meg should be identical, but in reality the plastic of the head changes dimensions as it cools after molding, producing some small variation in sound. Little excess pieces of plastic can alter the sound too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

In short the "same" whistles in same key made by a "custom" maker can each be very different one from the other depending mostly on the "voicing" or various cuts and relationships of the areas of the fipple. Where a maker makes use of a machine for this (CNC), the differences are apt to be less if any Burke, e.g., I believe).

In production line whistles - what you are specifically referring to - the whistles in the SAME RUN should be identical; however, those on a different production run can all differ to varying degrees from those of the other run. Also, over time, changes might be made in the "same" whistles so that you might see, e.g., a noticeable change in the voicing from a Faedog of five years ago to one from today.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Dera Ms Squiddy;

Most "mass production" whistlemakers don't have the time or labor to "tweak" every whistle into perfection. Identical whistles are like identical twins, they may look exactly alike but each has their own personality (it's a fractal math thing...).

I suggest that you pick a couple of near favorites and send them to a Professional Tweaker (like Jerry) or a pro shop (like Mr Burke's). These crafts-persons have the skill and tools to nudge your whistle into the personality traits you desire. Send a detailed "wish list" of features and maybe a sound clip so they can zero in on your needs.

You get what you pay for! If you're lucky enough to find a cheap instrument that performs well, you're blessed!
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

I ask because sometimes I wonder how much one can generalize about different brands of whistle, esp. the cheapies, rather than just observing the qualities of the individual whistle we happen to be blessed (or cursed) with. My limited observations seem to suggest that Sweetones and Feadogs each have a distinctive sound (esp. Sweetone), but my Generation, one of my Clares, and my Oak seem pretty similar to one another in timbre.

Or do my limited observations merely indicate that I need to test-drive more whistles? :devil:

Edited to add: I do happen to be at a stage in my development where many of my old cheapie whistles appear have blossomed with new aural possibilities, clearly a result of the mystical "whistle aging" process. So I'm wondering if I should put down some new ones to age...
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Quickest way for you to get to the bottom of this issue: follow these instructions:

1 - Obtain sterling silver Copeland or any O'Riordan whistle

2 - Ship to me to hold whilst whistle ages (to ensure that you don't interfere with the aging process)

3 - Wait for me to notify you as to proper aging and return

4 - Do not hold breath

Philo :D
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

philo: sneaky... very sneaky.... and i'm sure you also would not interfere with the aging process, right?

squidgirl, i guess i just got lucky with my dixon trad. i purchased a second one (because i often misplace my whistle,) and it sounds very different from my first. the second tends to be more "breathy" in the second octave. first octave reminds me of a feadog first octave (more of a "presence" if you will) ... at least, more so than my first dixon. i like the sound of both, but i definitely prefer the sound of my first dixon trad.

i also have several feadogs... none of which sound like each other... each is tweaked and each is unique in timbre, volume and "personality."

i've come to the conclusion that there are no identical whistles. i think that's a good thing.

be well,

jim (just a little north of you)
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

squidgirl wrote: My limited observations seem to suggest that Sweetones and Feadogs each have a distinctive sound (esp. Sweetone), but my Generation, one of my Clares, and my Oak seem pretty similar to one another in timbre.

Or do my limited observations merely indicate that I need to test-drive more whistles?
You happen to have three whistles that are voiced similarly, based on the traditional Generation voicing. You are correct, Generations, Clares and Oaks will seem pretty similar in voicing, although there will be some subtle differences that may seem more distinct after playing them a lot.

Clarke originals and Susatos would be two more whistles I can think of that have very different voicings, and of course, there are Mellow Dogs and Blackbirds.

Best wishes,
Jerry