Fashion help...solution found!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Fashion help...solution found!

Post by Redwolf »

My daughter ordered this dress for a school dance:

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/ ... 5448107763

We didn't realize when we ordered it just how sheer the skirt really is. She's going to have to wear something under it. Trouble is, I can't think of what. She got a pair of black and pink tights to go with it, but I'm not sure that will be sufficient to satisfy the powers that be at school. It doesn't look to be the kind of skirt you'd put a slip under, even if I could find one that short (and in black). A second petticoat, maybe? Black shorts? I'm at a loss, and I'm hoping that one of you is either enough of a fashionista (or related to one!) that I could get some input.

Help!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
KateG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Fashion help!

Post by KateG »

Leggings? Or ballet-weight tights? The sort of thing that is meant to go under a big shirt/sweater or leotard. Otherwise you could just make a little mini-slip: a tube of black lining material with a bit of elastic at the top and hemmed just long enough to cover the critical junction. Actually, even though I'm a fuddy-duddy, I think the outfit looks cute. Sassy, but doesn't seem to be channelling an inner streetwalker.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Well, the model is wearing black dance tights, so how about that?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

She really wants to wear the black and pink tights she bought, but maybe I can talk her out of it (they're very cute...one leg is hot pink and the other is black...but I don't think they're much heavier than ordinary nylons). Black dance tights would be an easy option, for sure...there are a couple of dance stores in town where I could buy them.

It doesn't look as sheer in the picture as it actually is. The skirt is completely see-through. Cuter than heck, though.

Redwolf
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I'd say either black biker shorts over the tights,
or pink terricloth shorts (without anything written
on the rear).
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

fearfaoin wrote:I'd say either black biker shorts over the tights,
on the rear).
Hmmm...that might work. Biker shorts might be too long, though, and can be hard to find without logos. Still, it's another option to explore.

Redwolf
djm

Post by djm »

Black jeans.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Bloomers.
/Bloomfield
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Perhaps a longer (knee length), more opaque skirt beneath it. Black would look best imo, but pink mightn't look off.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Redwolf wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:I'd say either black biker shorts over the tights,
on the rear).
Hmmm...that might work. Biker shorts might be too long, though, and can be hard to find without logos. Still, it's another option to explore.

Redwolf
Seems that volleyball shorts would be a bit shorter?

http://www.americaismakingit.com/2lowridershort.html

looking up "black shorts spandex" and "black shorts volleyball" on google seemed to have a decent set of results.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
emmline

Post by emmline »

One can obtain, from American Apparel, a flared elastic-waist cotton skirt, in black, which could be cut to the needed length. I know because I've done it.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

It's sheer, all right! You can see clear through it in the photo.

The model appears to be wearing bunchy leggings and chunky knee-high boots. That would be my recommendation. I'd go just like the photograph.

Dance tights would be ok, but I think black thermal (waffle-weave) leggings would have a cool texture.
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Go with the biker shorts/or shorter spandex shorts. That way she can wear the half pink half black tights with the outfit-which will look great!

Forget about just tights- remember how those things bag???? Not a good look.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

cowtime wrote:Go with the biker shorts/or shorter spandex shorts. That way she can wear the half pink half black tights with the outfit-which will look great!

Forget about just tights- remember how those things bag???? Not a good look.
Bag??? :really: I have never had so much as a sag in my tights! Not the faintest droop! Not even a wrinkle!

Although I have to say I do recall a certain untidiness in tights worn by others. Hmm.

I just get the ones with Lycra. :love:

OK, I realize not everyone is perfect. How about 3/4 length spandex leggings (just below the knee) with cute ballet flats and knit leggings? If your daughter has skinny enough legs, this would be really cool.

If she wants to wear actual tights, there is such a thing as "dance pants" which are basically the bottom half of a leotard. Shaped like a pair of full-coverage panties, only much heavier. Sometimes even heavier than a leotard. You wear them over tights and under something like a short skirt or even by themselves with some kind of top. They are considered to be an outer garment.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Redwolf

Re: Fashion help...solution found!

Post by Redwolf »

Well, we seem to have found a solution! We went to Hot Topic today, thinking to try to find a petticoat or something similar that would work, and ended up finding a pair of very short, black, pantaloons! They're short enough that they don't peek out from under the skirt, and frilly enough that they look like they're supposed to be part of the outfit, but completely opaque. She tried the whole outfit on tonight (complete with the black and pink tights and these crazy black patent leather stilettos she plans to wear with them), and I must say, it looks very cool (especially as her hair is currently purple!). Homecoming may never be the same! :lol: Gotta say this, though...the girl has style!

The dance is next Friday...I'll be sure to post a pic.

Redwolf