Quiet Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
revwhit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by revwhit »

As a parent of young children, I usually practice at night once they're asleep. What would be a good quiet whistle(soprano d)for night practice? I really do think I'm coming down with WhOA.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I think my Clarke Original is pretty quiet. I can relate to your small child issue, but mine can sleep through a fife playing in the next room.

Good luck!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hi rev -

Hoovers (~$55) and Laughings (new ~$75) are the quietest whistles I have played. I have a couple of laughings that I plan on selling ($55) in the next few weeks, if you would like to borrow one for a week or two to see if it is quiet enough to work for you, let me know via email. I'd email you but you haven't posted an address. :smile:
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Of the various whistles I've tried, I'd recommend Clarke Original or a Hoover (ultra quiet). Also, softening the plastic mouthpiece of a Generation-style whistle over the stove to narrow the windway can make a really quiet whistle. (Another approach is to jam a toothpick in one side of the windway, for a similar effect.)
You said you wanted a D, but how about a C for practice? Being a step lower does mellow it out some...a quiet whistle in C might really be unobtrusive.
one-tin-soldier
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by one-tin-soldier »

I second the (Mack)Hoover whistle. The narrow bore brass D is the quietest whistle on the planet, and sounds & looks lovely too!!

Cheryl
Bert

Post by Bert »

Try doing a search of the forum with the key word being "muffler". You'll find various suggestions for lowering the volume of your whistle using a variety of materials from toothpicks and paperclips to small pieces of paper.
If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill themselves...Is it considered a hostage situation???
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I have both the Hoover and Laughing Whistle. The Hoover is a bit quieter but the Laughing whistle is quiet enough and I reach for it most often when quiet is what I want.

jim
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

In addition to muffler, try "mute" in the search. My favorite thing to mute a whistle at this time is a little ball of blue tack. About 1/8" across is enough. Put that on the ramp right where the air hits the blade. The idea is that half (or more) of the blade is never used, so the whistle can't play as loud. Try it. It works for me. Note that I have not tried it on a classic Clarke or othersimilar whistle. But on plastic heads, it really works.

-Patrick
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

The tweaked O'Briain is the way to go for me: it's very, very quite and plays wonderfully. Anyway, mine does.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Check out the new Serpent brass whistles. I have one of the latest models, and I like it quite a lot. It is indeed a quiet whistle, nice and solid looking and feeling. I will review it more fully when I have the chance.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I recently got a Hoover for that exact reason. While my family sleeps too lightly to play a lot of upper register stuff at night, it's pretty darned quiet. The upper B is sweet and quiet. I practice with it all the time, mainly to save my hearing and to stop from getting yelled at by the family during waking hours, but primarily because I love the sound. It clogs easily but the soap trick works well. I haven't tried the RainX thing yet.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I never tried a Hoover.

Still, I'll vouch for the Parkhurst "special quiet" D whistle I offered for Christmas (but hijacked the week before...). It's sweet, and doesn't get shriller in 2nd octave. It doesn't get there too easily or too lazily either.
And it is beautiful, too. :smile:
It's true: I read it on Internet.
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

The brass Hoovers really are nice and quiet, and better yet, they're not *just* quiet whistles, they are great whistles in their own right (too quiet for a session weapon, but wonderful for recording and solo stuff).

Richard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrRichard on 2003-01-13 11:18 ]</font>
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

One of the questions was Hoover versus Clark Original. I have both. The Clark is certainly quiet and has a nice sound. I think it may be worth it to buy one -- they run about $12 US, and see if it works for you. If not, then you can get in line for a Hoover which run $55 US. The Clark takes a LOT more breath to play and has a very breathy sound, but it sounds pretty nice. In terms of quietness versus a Hoover, they're pretty close, with the Hoover being maybe a tiny tad quieter. But some of that may be illusion because you hear so much breath with the Clark that maybe it SEEMS louder.

The Hoover will teach you breath control, as it takes miniscule amounts of breath. The Clark will teach you breath conservation, as it takes tons.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

The Hoover will teach you breath control, as it takes miniscule amounts of breath. The Clark will teach you breath conservation, as it takes tons.
That's a great way to summarize things, and I think speaks for a lot of whistles. Breath control is something to be learned, no matter what kind of whistle you favor...the big distinction as to what makes a good whistle for a beginner really hinges on whether you're most comfortable using a little air or a lot of air. I don't normally recommend the O Briain "improved" (the tweaked Feadog mentioned in a previous post) as a beginner's whistle, because it doesn't take well to overblowing (and it seems that most beginners overblow)...but if you tend to find gentle breathing easier than strong breathing, it just MIGHT be a great whistle for a beginner (it's certainly a wonderful whistle for an intermediate, who doesn't mind learning to breath gently!). The same thing, in the opposite direction, is true of the Clarkes...I don't like their breath requirements or their slightly breathy tone, and might have given up on the whistle entirely had my first whistle been a Clarke (since this board wasn't around when I started whistling!), but for a lot of people, they're absolutely ideal.

I find Generations and Feadogs to be "middle of the road" when it comes to breath requirements, and great whistles, if you can find a good one (mine are mostly older, and I've been lucky with them). Of course, that's the rub...finding a good one. I've heard a lot of good things about the Dixons as beginners whistles, but can't say for myself one way or another until mine comes and has been given a good workout (still, enough people whose opinion I respect have recommended them that I have little doubt as to their suitability).

Redwolf