Hello Again

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hello Again

Post by ausdag »

Hi All...Well, I'm back in OZ now after my two and a half years in Indonesia...When I went I left my concert pitch half set in storage in one of the big storage companies which you hope don't leak or get too hot inside.

To Jakarta I took my McLaren C# chanter with reed and as of this day it still continues to sing. The inside of the reed it quite filthy from all the Jakarta grime but it sure is good to have my concert set out of storage.

Plugged the chanter in and it sang so sweetly, no reed adjustment necessary. What's more, it even seems to be far easier to play than before being relegated to the storage shed.

Tied my drones in last night - I had a new bag made for me prior to leaving for Jakarta but never tied in the drones because I didn't want to take drones with me - had to run the brass stock under hot water because it had become completely stuck fast to the mainstock during storage. It came off and I measured the hole to be cut in my bag...this would be only the second time in my life I've tied in a stock.

First attempt they leaked very badly; second attempt - airtight as can be. Started them up for the first time in 2 and a half years and they sprang to life...once again, no adjustment necessary bar a little tuning of the drones. Nice....

The washing machine was a different story...it had been stored next to the pipes which had been stored next to everything else. Got it home, turned it on, started the wash cycle and come time to empty and go into the rinse cycle, nothing happened. Called Amanda....Amanda Fix Me Machine and he stuck a screw drive inside a little hole behind the dial and turned it about 60 degrees, turned on the machine and packed up. All fixed in 20 seconds..cost me $75!!

Got Broadband connected the other day, heard about a certain Finbar Furey reedmaking video...watched it and went to bed...dreamt of mandrels and cobblers wax...

Next on the agenda...find a time to practice

CHow...
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Hello Again

Post by PJ »

Welcome back Dave.
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

Hope to hear some new clips soon on that other forum. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Thank guys...yup...as soon as I get the mic and the video camera set up I'll put up some clips and vids :)
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Welcome back! Isn't there a trick of taking a very fine feather and running it up through the staple and out of the reed to clean out a gunky reed?

-Patrick
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

misterpatrick wrote:Welcome back! Isn't there a trick of taking a very fine feather and running it up through the staple and out of the reed to clean out a gunky reed?

-Patrick
Thanks Patrick...yup, there is...but the reeds sings so so beautifully full of gunk I'm afraid cleaning it may be detrimental :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Well, well, well, nice to see you back David! Hope all is well with you and yours! :)
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Thanks Joseph...nice to hear from you and good to be back...all's fine and we're just about settled back in to life in OZ... :)
Joseph E. Smith

ausdag wrote:Thanks Joseph...nice to hear from you and good to be back...all's fine and we're just about settled back in to life in OZ... :)
I trust your time spent up there was, if anything, educational... no pun intended. :D How did the local environment treat your chanter reed?
Was it too hot or humid for it, or was it the ideal place for piping? I can imaginee that the rainy season might have been a pain in the neck.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

actually, the reed held up very well...I guess being made in the sub-tropical humidity of Brisbane which actually gets much hotter and stickier than Jakarta meant that it wasn't subject to much environmental change at all. Even in the air conditioning it still sing beautifully...if anything, all it ever needed was the occasional tiny move of the bridle up or down a finger nails thickness to either open or close it a tiny bit, but never any major difficulties...

Yup...it was a great experience, one I would recommend to anybody...Jakarta is a great town..they even have a Highland Gathering there every year...been about 31 years now...

Cheers,
Joseph E. Smith

I am very happy to hear you had a brilliant time there. Welcome home... ummm... now you'll have to change your "location" blurb again. :D
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Dave - Did you get any chance to play out in Jakarta and if so what did your audience make of the uilleann pipes?
PJ
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Welcome back. Hey, my mother's from Jakarta. Never made it there myself, though.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I am very happy to hear you had a brilliant time there. Welcome home... ummm... now you'll have to change your "location" blurb again. :D
Done... Thanks for the reminder :D
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

PJ wrote:Dave - Did you get any chance to play out in Jakarta and if so what did your audience make of the uilleann pipes?
Yeah, I played a couple times at the school I was teaching at and my students and other teachers were very impressed :)