possible reaction of lungs to wood???

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

possible reaction of lungs to wood???

Post by Berti66 »

I'd like your opinions on this, it's a bit strange and it might just be in my mind, but.....

Is it possible at all that after playing you develop an cough and it develops in pneumonia or something like it?
Makes your lungs and breathing hurt?

I had this kind of symptoms develop early january, and am just cured having had pneumonia....
Today I started to play again after a month break, and now breathing hurts again and I am coughing a bit.....
Might it be the wood? (I have happily played this flute for three years no problem) Or is it just me?

Berti
kothz

Re: possible reaction of lungs to wood???

Post by kothz »

Go see your doctor. :)

Now, with that being said, even with modern medicine in play, pneumonia can be pretty serious. While you think you might be cured, you could still be recovering. Playing a wind instrument can be taxing especially when you're taxing the bits that provide the wind. You may be better, but you might not be as well yet as you think.

When you go see your doctor, tell them you're a flautist. Ask if you're well enough to play, to exercise, or if you still need rest.

(Edit: You might even take your flute. A little music never hurt anyone... well, maybe not in this case...) :)
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Well, you might not yet be fully recovered, eh?

I would recommend you clean your flute very well if you haven't already done so.

Last year I was knocked into some pretty bad lung issues and I suspect it my have been one of my old flutes that had got mold... it did in fact have mold.

Go see your doc!

Take care!

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Mindful of the rules about medical Qs......
From personal experience (I had that horrid cold that went around over Xmas that wasn't bad as a cold but seemed to go on everyone's chest and take 2-3 weeks for the moderate bronchitis to clear) I'd say that 1) you haven't fully recovered yet and/or that 2) even if you have, the exercise of your lungs in deeper and more disciplined breathing for playing a wind instrument is likely to stir up any remnants of phlegm in the bottom of your lungs - going for a run or other undue exercise would probably have the same result until your lungs are completely clear. Ordinary life activity doesn't require that deeper, harder breathing and doesn't "stir up the dregs" in the same way. That has been my experience both recently and generally in the past. On balance, although the cough may return when you play or exercise, it is probably beneficial so long as you aren't having severe paroxysms. If playing does bring on bad bouts of coughing or the problem persists more than a few days, I too would say to go see the doctor, and I agree with previous posters about checking around for other possible causes. I think my suggestion of cause is perhaps a little more likely, though. Overall, unless you are still seriously weak or having bad coughing fits, I'd think the disciplined breathing would probably be beneficial to recovery.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

thanks..........and I forgot of course to mention that two weeks ago I have seen my doc and had my lungs checked.
according to her, they were clear.
but as I was told it could take around six weeks to fully recover maybe you are right, jem and I have just to deal with it.
things are not as bad and subsided an hour after playing and today it is nothing like it was yesterday......
I will limit the playing to half an hour and build up slower and see what happens........
hopefully it is as simple as that............just the IDEA that it could be different........horror!

berti
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Aanvil wrote:Well, you might not yet be fully recovered, eh?

I would recommend you clean your flute very well if you haven't already done so.

Last year I was knocked into some pretty bad lung issues and I suspect it my have been one of my old flutes that had got mold... it did in fact have mold.

Go see your doc!

Take care!

:)

Mold in flutes kicked my ass, as well as David Levine's, in recent years as well. Something to be aware of.

Sensitivity to certain woods, like Cocus for example, can also cause respiratory issues. One can be fine with a certain wood one day, and then become sensitized enough the next day to react. Doubt that's the case with you Berti, just mentioning it since it is another possibility.

Glad to hear things are improving.

Loren
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

yeah I am happy this seems NOT the case with me phew...........
indeed it was just the lungs that were not fully healed yet.....not having problems anymore with playing! :)

berti