Best flea treatment

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Best flea treatment

Post by pipersgrip »

My dog has fleas, and I need to get some flea treatment :( . Any suggestions or experience what or what not to buy? Thanks.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Innocent Bystander

Re: Best flea treatment

Post by Innocent Bystander »

That Frontline stuff is only effective in the Galactic scheme of things. It doesn't get rid of the fleas NOW. Three generations off is not quick enough - not for me, not for most people, and not for most dogs. Anything else. Anything!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

OTOH, stuff like Frontline, with which you treat the dog directly is, in my experience, the only thing which will help you in the long term.
You may need to combine on-the-pet treatment with something like dusting the rug and upholstery where the fleas hang out in your house.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

For a mild infestation, our vet had us use Frontline on the critter, and a spray for the carpet and upholstery. For a major infestation, you may need to give the dog a bath with a flea-killing shampoo and treat it with Frontline afterward, as well as fumigating your abode with one of those set-it-off-and-leave-the-house-for-a-day treatments.

Good luck. Fleas can live dormant in your walls for months...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks for all the advice guys.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Best advice: ask your veterinarian. They'll have sprays, shampoos, etc., that work better than anything you can buy at a pet supply store.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dwest

Post by dwest »

Frontline Plus is effective at killing fleas within hours of use use. If that turns out not to be the case I would suggest there was a problem with proper application. It is also extremely effective in killing ticks. My dogs have a substantial amount of time outside in rural habitats nationally known for high density tick populations. In all the years we have used Frontline we have yet to have a single tick attachment.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

dwest wrote:Frontline Plus is effective at killing fleas within hours of use use. If that turns out not to be the case I would suggest there was a problem with proper application. It is also extremely effective in killing ticks. My dogs have a substantial amount of time outside in rural habitats nationally known for high density tick populations. In all the years we have used Frontline we have yet to have a single tick attachment.
What dwest said. We usually start seeing the ticks in January (one cat has already shown up with them) and start treating them then. It works. We've only had fleas one time, and it took quick care of that.

Good luck!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I feel so lucky!

Although fleas can be imported and, if they got established indoors, would have to be eradicated, I think that's pretty rare here in Interior Alaska. The ticks we have don't bite people or dogs (though they do carry a nasty disease that affects snowshoe hares and I think the dogs can get ill if they eat the sick hares). Our mosquitoes may drain all your blood, but they don't carry heartworm or any of the nasty mosquito-borne illnesses that affect humans in more southerly parts of the world.

In all, the subarctic is a really nice place to live. Life in a frozen desert has its benefits. :D
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I will ask my vet tomorrow. Thanks for the tips and headsup.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

If fleas are a big problem for you, you need to deal with the problem comprehensively. My best friend is not a big reader. Some booklet about eradicating fleas is the only book I have known him to read. He preaches it like the gospel. You got to treat the animal, the indoors, and the outdoors.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

This is the handout we give to customers where I work: http://www.nwseed.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=80
Charlene
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The fleas only stay on the dog until they get full. That's why you have to treat the environment too. I too will get in place on the side of Frontline for a topical treatment that has always worked for me. Fleas and ticks no more. Farm dogs and house dogs, when I put that stuff on, there are no more ticks or fleas.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

During the warm months of 2007, my dog got a pretty nasty infestation. She stays outside in the back yard fenced in, except on walks. I got a pill from the vet, the name of which I forgot, which knocked all the live fleas off her and then I treated her with Frontline Plus and also found that over the long haul I had to treat her every 2 weeks instead of every month. I somehow managed to avoid having to treat the whole backyard area. I do find Frontline a bit difficult to apply. Getting something down to the skin of a furred critter isn't that easy. I think there's a good oral treatment, but I haven't tried it.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Some granular pyrethroids, bifenthrin, in the yard wouldn't hurt but it is important to use the correct amount, don't undertreat.