Womens purses and a question for men

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Womens purses and a question for men

Post by CHasR »

The Weekenders wrote:The advantage of the go-bag is that it carries stuff you shouldn't leave in your car if you live in a crime-prone area. Having lost a pair of expensive specs when my car was stolen, which insurance wouldn't cover, that was an inducement. I also lost an Obrain tweaked Feadog, so I also carry a whistle at all times in said bag. Another inducement. Come to think of it, ever since the car theft I really don't leave anything of value in the car, ever, even at home (that's where car was swiped from).

Cargo pants are great but I have never gotten used to the long version, just the fat boy shorts that I wear all summer. Those are great for sunglasses-n-wallet and such, but I wear jeans during the winter. Not enough pocket space atall.

perhaps...

and this is just east-coast-style-street-smarts speaking...

the presence of a visible male urinal in your vehicle MAY (now, I say, may) have prevented it's theft. :wink:

My pockets?
Wallett, cell, keys, sunglasses, hankie. :)
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

You bag-carriers are silly. If it doesn't fit in my pants and jacket pockets and I can't comfortably carry it in one hand (a book, for example), I go without.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

LF pants pocket - change
RF pants pocket - pocket knife and phone
LR pants pocket - wallet
LF shirt pocket - moleskin and pen

and I'm trying to give up most of that.

Why is it I keep thinking of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoge6QzcGY
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

CHasR wrote:the presence of a visible male urinal in your vehicle MAY (now, I say, may) have prevented it's theft. :wink:
How's that? I would find it more of an inducement!
I'd never have to stop on long trips...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Congratulations wrote:You bag-carriers are silly. If it doesn't fit in my pants and jacket pockets and I can't comfortably carry it in one hand (a book, for example), I go without.
Yeah, well smarty, when you get over 50 and bulgy, that stuff in your pockets kinda hurts. Sitting on a wallet all day at an office is dumb as well as the commute to and fro. Having a consistent place to put it is smart and having it in a big ol' bag means you don't leave it somewhere in your desk. But, sure, some of it optional stuff. Who'm I hurtin???

Congrats the Spartan. nyuk.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I keep that stuff in my wife's purse.

Seriously, you need an intervention.
Keep....Wallet with my checkbook, ID, etc.
Remove....Very odd small zippered bag where I carry my cash. (Why do you have the wallet dear?)
Keep....Cell phone
Remove....Gloves (Unless you have a medical reason. Keep in your car.)
Remove....Small notebook for sketching when waiting at appointments, etc. (Keep in your car if you have to. How are you getting to appointments? Borrow paper from the lady who keeps this kind of stuff in her purse, she'll feel helpful.)
Remove....Small calculator (Do the math in your head. How much math are you doing? Borrow.)
Remove....Address book (Keep at your desk at home. Are you going to save a life with an address.)
Keep....Pack of gum
Remove....Watch waiting for me to remember to buy a battery for it (Put the watch on your wrist and maybe you'll finally get a battery.)
Downsize....Zippered pouch with things like dental floss, eye drops, aspirin, that type of thing...(If you are using dental floss, eye drops, and other stuff on a daily basis, you need a medical/dental check-up. Sorry about offering medical advice.)
Rethink....Sunglasses (Keep in car, get photograys, wear on top of head, wear on a chain, wear on your face.)

A purse will be as full as it can be. Get a smaller purse. You're welcome.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

The Weekenders wrote:
Congratulations wrote:You bag-carriers are silly. If it doesn't fit in my pants and jacket pockets and I can't comfortably carry it in one hand (a book, for example), I go without.
Yeah, well smarty, when you get over 50 and bulgy, that stuff in your pockets kinda hurts. Sitting on a wallet all day at an office is dumb as well as the commute to and fro. Having a consistent place to put it is smart and having it in a big ol' bag means you don't leave it somewhere in your desk. But, sure, some of it optional stuff. Who'm I hurtin???

Congrats the Spartan. nyuk.
Sitting on your wallet hurts? What, are you George Costanza?

In the interest of full disclosure, these are the things I carry consistently.

LF - Keys, pen
RF - Cigarettes and lighter, phone
LB - Nothing (I used to carry a moleskine, but no longer)
RB - Wallet

This (depending on the pants) still leaves me some room for picking up things along the way. If it is jacket weather, then the things in my front pockets live in my jacket pockets instead.

For the record, cargo pants are not okay under any circumstances.

Let's leave laptops out of this. Laptops get their own bags, and all of the things (and only the things) related to them go inside. If the laptop is needed, then you have everything you need; if it's not needed, then you don't need it. Easy.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Major T. J. Kong wrote:Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.
But seriously -- Pockets contain wallet, keys, cell phone, change and yo-yo. The rest (glasses, sunglasses, pens, drugs, salves, Band-Aids, other yo-yo, whistle, book du jour, iPod, TSA-approved bag o' liquids, rolls of quarters just to irritate the TSA droids) goes in the laptop bag, which goes back and forth to work and on the airplane.

Weeks, is that go-bag full of earthquake emergency supplies? A co-worker of mine is working for city-county government in San Francisco, and she was required to have one with an approved list of emergency supplies. I, on the other hand, am working at a community college in Oakland, where all I am required to have is a back-up bottle of diet cola and some sun block.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I missed all this thread when I was handed a last-minute project that took the entire afternoon. After running through the replies, I've come to a conclusion:

Men prefer having lumpy pants pockets. Hmmm...somehow it reminds me of the member of Spinal Tap trying to get through the metal detector at the airport...

Susan
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

mutepointe wrote:Remove....Very odd small zippered bag where I carry my cash. (Why do you have the wallet dear?)
The change part of my wallet is too small and difficult to get into. I need a little bag sort of thingy.
mutepointe wrote:Remove....Gloves (Unless you have a medical reason. Keep in your car.)
I need the gloves between the office and the car and before getting into the car. It snows here.
mutepointe wrote:Remove....Small notebook for sketching when waiting at appointments, etc. (Keep in your car if you have to. How are you getting to appointments? Borrow paper from the lady who keeps this kind of stuff in her purse, she'll feel helpful.)
This item is very small and very necessary. I don't know when I'll need to wait and when I don't, and sometimes there isn't a lady there anyway.
mutepointe wrote:Remove....Small calculator (Do the math in your head. How much math are you doing? Borrow.)
Nope. It's proven handy too many times.
mutepointe wrote:Remove....Address book (Keep at your desk at home. Are you going to save a life with an address.)
Very necessary when making personal calls at work (shhhh), checking birthdays, mailing cards and letters. I also have my license plate number in it (which I can't remember to save my life) and other assorted very necessary pieces of information.
mutepointe wrote:Remove....Watch waiting for me to remember to buy a battery for it (Put the watch on your wrist and maybe you'll finally get a battery.)
Okay, that's a good idea.
mutepointe wrote:Downsize....Zippered pouch with things like dental floss, eye drops, aspirin, that type of thing...(If you are using dental floss, eye drops, and other stuff on a daily basis, you need a medical/dental check-up. Sorry about offering medical advice.)
I'll ignore this one.
mutepointe wrote:Rethink....Sunglasses (Keep in car, get photograys, wear on top of head, wear on a chain, wear on your face.)
I need them between the car and wherever I'm going, I refuse to wear a chain.

:) Susan
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

When I travel, I carry a man-purse. But, just walking around on a normal business day, it's wallet in back pocket, cell phone in front pant's pocket, Blackberry (for work) on belt, keys in the pants pocket I don't have my cell phone in.

I never carry cash or coins anymore. I use my debit card for almost everything. Never write checks.

That said, I've actually tried several times to get in the habit of carrying the man-purse routinely, but just can't get in the routine. It would be nice, as I'd like to tote more stuff than I can get in pockets.

With the exception of the hottest months, I routinely wear a sports coat which gives more pockets. In the winter, I wear a large overcoat (which I love), and that provides yet more pockets.

I have also have a number of devices implanted in various tissues and some voluntarily so.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Another thing about all those pockets: You have to remember to change everything to other pockets when you change clothes.

Mutepointe: :P

Susan
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

susnfx wrote:Another thing about all those pockets: You have to remember to change everything to other pockets when you change clothes.
That's not hard to do because we are conditioned from youth to remove things from our pockets and put them on the dresser when we take our pants off at night. This conditioning is done by our mothers and usually commences the evening after she runs our pants through both the washer and dryer with the nightcrawler still in the pocket.

If we know we are going to put that same pair of pants on tomorrow, we just leave the stuff in the pockets. Unlike women, we are capable of wearing the same thing two days in a row if it is still clean. And by clean, we mean there are no visible food, paint or blood stains.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
emmline

Post by emmline »

mutepointe wrote: A purse will be as full as it can be. Get a smaller purse. You're welcome.
No. I have extra space in my backpack for when I want to...e.g...carry a water bottle.
Having the stuff in a bag versus bringing only the pocketable items is similar to why I only wear
comfortable shoes. It's in case I ever find myself having to strike off across the country on foot, like
if I'm suddenly the protagonist in a Tom Clancy movie or something.
Hence, I never wear heels or any shoes that hurt. This is also why my "purse" is a backpack.
It's comfy and distributes weight nicely. Doesn't slip off one shoulder like a bag would.
I can therefore more easily ignore it.
I'm not really a normal woman.

To wit:
gonzo914 wrote:Unlike women, we are capable of wearing the same thing two days in a row if it is still clean. And by clean, we mean there are no visible food, paint or blood stains.
I wear jeans several times before washing.