need tunes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RyanpE

need tunes

Post by RyanpE »

I need a website that has exclusively uilleann pipe music. I am finding site that are for flute and whistle and could probably use that. But if there is some site that is uilleann pipe notation that would be great.

cheers, RYan
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: need tunes

Post by MTGuru »

Ryan: Basically, tunes are tunes. The range of pipes, flute and whistle is basically the same, and the basic ornamentation is in common, too. There's no "uilleann pipe notation" per se. But you can probably find piping tutors with figures written out explicitly. Otherwise it's a matter of learning to play the pipes, listening, and applying that knowledge to the tunes.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
RyanpE

Post by RyanpE »

Ok thank you
mukade

Post by mukade »

Join the Seattle Pipers Club.

They have an archive of past club magazines available on the Net at the other uilleann forum.
The magazines contain many transcribed tunes.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

The Seattle club has published a collection of UP versions of popular tunes, transcribed from the playing of many well-known UPipers, that may help, as well.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

IIRC, the book Move Your Fingers on the playing of Toronto piper Chris Langan contains transcriptions with some explicit ornamentation.

http://www.cranfordpub.com/books/chris_langan_book.htm

elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

I may be wrong, but I don't think Chris Langan was a Cape Breton Piper. He was originally from Ireland. Did he ever live in Cape Breton? I know he recorded an album with Johnny Wilmot.

Nate
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

elbowmusic wrote:I may be wrong, but I don't think Chris Langan was a Cape Breton Piper. He was originally from Ireland. Did he ever live in Cape Breton? I know he recorded an album with Johnny Wilmot.
My mistake, thanks for the correction! I guess he was based most lately in Toronto. I fixed my post.

RyanpE

Post by RyanpE »

Is thesession.com good for unes on the upipes. could someone tell me if there accurate
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

RyanpE wrote:Is thesession.com good for unes on the upipes. could someone tell me if there accurate
Only as accurate as the skill of the anonymous people posting them. Some are good, some are terrible. And any written transcription is only a pale reflection of the actual tune. You need to learn tunes - and how to play tunes - by listening.

Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

MTGuru wrote:
elbowmusic wrote:I may be wrong, but I don't think Chris Langan was a Cape Breton Piper. He was originally from Ireland. Did he ever live in Cape Breton? I know he recorded an album with Johnny Wilmot.
My mistake, thanks for the correction! I guess he was based most lately in Toronto. I fixed my post.
I don't know anything about Chris Langan, but Paul Cranford (of course), and Dave Papazian, who is mentioned in the foreword, are Cape Bretoners. Must be a CB connection at some time.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
mukade

Post by mukade »

djm wrote:The Seattle club has published a collection of UP versions of popular tunes, transcribed from the playing of many well-known UPipers, that may help, as well.

djm
Hey DJ,

Is that the John Walsh collection?

I was wondering if it was notated for Uilleann pipes or just a collection of vanilla tunes.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I don't know anything about Chris Langan, but Paul Cranford (of course), and Dave Papazian, who is mentioned in the foreword, are Cape Bretoners. Must be a CB connection at some time.
Chris was from Rush, Co. Dublin and lived half his life in Toronto. He did not have any connection to Cape Breton (except for his recording with Johnny Wilmot). I don't think Papper is a Cape Breton either, although he moved there at some point.

As for music, did really nobody think of the obvious: The Dance Music of Willie Clancy, Ceol an Phíobaire, The Piping of Patsy Touhey, The Music of Seamus Ennis or the notations that appeared in An Piobaire over the years?
mukade

Post by mukade »

Unfortunately, The Dance Music of Willie Clancy, Ceol an Phíobaire and The Piping of Patsy Touhey are all out of print.

Mukade
- Tony Mcmahon
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Add to Peters List The Leo Rowesome Collection of Irish Music,or Tunes of the Munster Pipers.But methinks at this stage of your piping, judging by the question, maybe a good buy would be Heather Clarkes Tutorial "The new Approach to Uilleann piping"or as per your original request go here :D
http://www.pipers.ie/tutor.asp
Slán Go Foill :wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.