Mr. Andrews?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
vanfleet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Mr. Andrews?

Post by vanfleet »

OK, here's a weird question for the board. Anyone else received an email from a Mr. Andrews, requesting uilleann pipes lessons for 2 kids? Is this a scam of some sort? I can't quite place my unease, but it seems . . . strange.
JVF
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: Mr. Andrews?

Post by tommykleen »

[musically, after Lerner and Lowe]
Scamalot!
Scamalot!
From far off lands, I hear your call.
Scamalot!
Scamalot!
Your private data, they want it all.

[/musically]

Here's how it would play out: they want their kid(s) to have the best tuition that money can buy. In fact, they will deposit the money for this directly to your bank account! Sweet! All they need are

...your account numbers, SS number etc.

It's a scamfield out there.

T
Richard Katz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Richard Katz »

I have also received emails from Mr. Andrews. Read...SCAM.

His two kids seem to need a lot of tuition, don't they?

And only for four weeks.

I guess by my professional tuition they would be professional by then?

Richard
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Post by vanfleet »

Thanks guys, you are getting the same details I am, and it is clearly a scam attempt. Its a shame, and I wish there was some way to track these people down and mutilate them a bit . . . or at least surgically remove their Internet capabilities.
JVF
reedbiter

Post by reedbiter »

there is a way to track 'em..or at least get a wee bit of revenge. I recall browseing a website that was a sort of home for a bunch of people who would purposely "fall for" the scams. They would stall and play the patsy and lead them on for a long time....using up as much of their time as possible and manipulating them into doing something really stupid.

I recall one scam was a "church pastor" from liberia would contact churches in the US asking for donations and financial assistance etc.. the FAKE US pastor would lead them on...asking for THEIR bank info...sending maybe 5 dollars to verify their account and tease the scammer, then stall by saying they needed to get approval from the elders etc..asking for pictures of the liberian church to be sent...asking for the liberian pastor to pose with the church and a sign saying something dumb and embarrassing (with the liberian chap unaware of the joke)

I recall one actual photo that showed a TERRIBLE photoshop chop job showing some huge famous European cathedral in the middle of an obvious liberian village type setting with the "pastor" standing in front with an idiotic sign about needing bread or somesuch!

I imagine that these chaps waste a lot of time and m oney pursuing these false leads. There MAY even be some sort of legal action possible (?? who knows) with the acquisition of the scammer's bank info.

If I ever find the site again I'll post it

Hey! I found the link! (edited to include link)

http://www.419eater.com/index.htm
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Speaking of scams and going slightly off-topic - though I did receive the email from a Derek Williamson which I've included below, there is another scam going around that people should check in to.

There are a few scam companies making very small charges on credit cards. My wife found one on her bank card and we've canceled the card. Apparently they've been doing this to millions of people. Here's an article about it:

http://www.boston.com/business/personal ... _of_users/

So if you have any charges for $.25US from mysterious vendors give you bank or card company a call.

Hello,
Thank you for your email. I will be happy to have my 15 and 16 yrs old children, Nelson & Delilah to join you in your private tuition.

So my children's first language is English, best hobby is reading & study, they are enthusiastic,very patient and very good children.As a beginners,they are interested to learning the basics and i hope you can accept them as your student?.

I will want you to assure me that you are going to take proper care of teaching them as I'm ready to pay all the necessary expenses for the lessons. I will want the tutor to hold for 4 weeks which consist of one hour for each of them everyday day, two days in a week if possible.I have someone that will always drive them to your area for the lesson. I will like to know your total cost for teaching both of them for 4 weeks. Please let me hear from you as soon as you receive this mail, so that we'll make an arrangement on when to start and payment (by cashier's check). Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Derek
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

This solicitation has popped up here on C&F before. I can't recall the thread, though.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

if you want high comedy, here's an oldie but a goodie: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

I had something very similar a few years ago. I had a somewhat plausible email from a guy wanting uilleann pipe lessons for his son. He was willing to pay me a small fortune, some of which I would keep as my fee, and some of which I had to 'return' to him when he arrived in the UK (probably from Nigeria). Yeah, sure...I'm a piper, not 'laundry' worker. I sent him away with a flea in his ear.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

"Hello,
Thank you for your email. I will be happy to have my 15 and 16 yrs old children, Nelson & Delilah to join you in your private tuition."

Yes; been there, seen that...

Come to think of it, the last time I got sent that one it was Samson and Delilah, and their father, the Rev. Canaan Banana, used to raise money for the Central Africa Spiritual Healing Foundation*

* Please make cheques payable to C.A.S.H.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

I sent him away with a flea in his ear.
I suggest that people don't do that, cos then they know for certain that there's a live person at the end of the email address and the scam count can go through the roof - that's what happened to me . . . .
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench