Life's great trials

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Life's great trials

Post by Doc Jones »

I have in my possession one of the most amazing flutes I've played in my life...very possibly the most amazing.

Sadly, the lovely thing is whittled of cocus. Cocus that most fiendish of timbers! Which beguiles me with it's most amazing tones then abruptly sends me to the brink of anaphylactic shock.

For those that wonder whether cocus actually makes a difference tonally, my opinion is that it does indeed. It has a rich complexity and wonderful edge...blackwood on steroids.

As I sit here with my lip itching, my head pounding and my lungs filling with fluid. I wonder if Benadryl is available in an IV drip. I wonder if Ibuprofin would work better if I took it before I started playing. I wonder how many more tunes I could get off before I started to seizure...hmmm.

Curse you cocus! :swear:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Life's great trials

Post by Jennie »

Maybe it's that "living on the edge" sense of danger and the feeling of throwing caution to the winds that make you able to play like that. I bet if you play a cocus flute while riding on a crocodile, it could get even better!

Seriously, though, I'm sorry you are so tempted by the thing that hurts you.

Jennie
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

We should be saying, 'Curse you, Doc', for throwing out yet another flute temptation! Instead, we're asking for details and pix! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Aw, come on Doc, what is it then? Details and pics required indeed.

As someone happily not allergic to cocuswood, merely impoverished, I can't think why I'm asking...........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

oh no!

What about rubber gloves and a contact paper lip plate?

What kind of flute... I simply must know!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I assume it's a cocus Olwell. Come on Doc, do tell!

Regarding allergies - do you know this kind of foil they use to make protecting covers for all sorts of LC displays? It works perfectly as an anti-allergy-shield on your flute. I used it when I had a bloodwood flute, to which I was allergic a bit. Just reddish skin and such, but the foil helped a lot!

But I have no idea what to do with your fingers. Rubber gloves are a bit, well...thoroughgoing.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Gabriel wrote: Rubber gloves are a bit, well...thoroughgoing.

What about these?

http://www.fingergloves.com/
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'd be willing to bet that Doc knows a lot about rubber gloves. :wink:
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Barrier creams maybe? Used in industry....coat your fingers with them, they form a temporary, dry barrier, then wash off. Don't know if they work on lips. Or lungs.

Anyway, I'm assuming that means the flute is for sale, at a deep, deep deep discount?
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Cork

Post by Cork »

Really, Doc, it's a no-brainer. It's time for you to get rid of such a troublesome flute.

(Hey, fellow Chiffers who are not allergic to cocus, there's going to be a GREAT deal coming online, soon!)

;-)
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

One can usually deal with a mild allergic reaction to Cocus with lip plates and stuff - but it sounds much worse in your case if your lungs are filling up full of fluid. Being highly sensitive to Uriosol (the irritant in Poison Oak, which is very similar to the irritant in Cocus) I avoid using any of Cocus in my workshop.

Doesn't sound like that amazing of a flute if it is doing this horrid stuff to you. But don't burn it to get rid of it! The smoke will be extremely hazardous!

Casey
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I know this topic has been around and around, but seriously, has anyone taken two IDENTICAL flutes by the same maker in different woods, same player, and truly noticed a difference? (Yes, I remember the thread with the sound clips and different flutes. But I'm sure they weren't the same model.)

Why is cocus such magic? Isn't it mostly in the ear of the player?

Jennie
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I never played or heard a cocus flute long enough to notice any difference to blackwood. I do think that boxwood has a distinct sound, and a Rudall made from boxwood is something special. I wish I could play this kind of flute!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I play two old cocuswood flutes and they are amazing! No side effects as yet. Perhaps the older cocuswood flutes are less toxic?
Arbo
Henke

Post by Henke »

Jennie wrote:I know this topic has been around and around, but seriously, has anyone taken two IDENTICAL flutes by the same maker in different woods, same player, and truly noticed a difference? (Yes, I remember the thread with the sound clips and different flutes. But I'm sure they weren't the same model.)

Why is cocus such magic? Isn't it mostly in the ear of the player?

Jennie
It is, and always will be impossible to come to any real scientific conclusions on this subject for many reasons.
There are no two IDENTICAL flutes, even by the same maker for one thing.

I haven't tried as many flutes as some people around here, and as you know, everyones opinions are subjective and may not agree with others. But I am convinced that there are differences between different woods. I haven't tried two similar flutes by the same maker from different woods, but to me it feels like Boxwood flutes from different makers share some characteristics that Blackwood flutes don't have, Cocuswood flutes from different makers have some common nuances that cannot be found in Blackwood flutes, and so on and vice versa.

Now, I'd have a lot more to say if we could only start to talk about European Oak and American Oak casks for maturing
whisky :)