Regarding Humidifiers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Diego Lolic
antispam: No

Regarding Humidifiers

Post by Diego Lolic »

Hi Folks!

I was wondering if anyone uses Humidifiers inside the Case were you leave the flute, or inside the Flute while resting.

If so, which one would you recommend me to buy?

Thanks!
Diego.
Denny

Re: Regarding Humidifiers

Post by Denny »

sponge in perforated sandwich bag

it's the hydrometer that's tricky
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I keep my wood flutes in bait boxes that I found at WalMart. I just cut the dividers down a bit to allow moisture to permeate through the whole thing and line the slots with some polartec fleece. I use a DampIt and sponges for the "moisturizing". Maintains about 75% humidity according to the digital hygrometer I got from eBay. I should probably put the sponges in something, but they fit (cut down) into a couple of the bait compartments perfectly, so I don't bother. They do seem to dry out quickly, though. When I was using the "film canister with holes" method, it only got the humidity to about 55% and I wanted 65% at least.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

I don't think many makers would recommend keeping a humidifier inside an assembled flute, but I would think almost all recommend humidifying instruments during winter and I suppose there are probably about as many ways of doing that as there are players. The way I chose to do it was to take a standard mandolin case, tear out the formed foam liner, and then replace it with 2 inch slats I got at Home Depot. The slats go lengthwise and are attached to shorter crosswise ones at the ends to keep from moving about. I disassemble my flutes and place them in this little rack. I keep two types of guitar humidifiers in the case. They sit on top of the rack. One is a spongy snake type, the other is like a sponge in a little box with a grill type top. These are less likely to leak any water than a sponge in a plastic bag and are probably more consistent. I have three hygrometers in the case because they tend to be fickle and sometimes will come up with quite different readings. One is for guitars, one from Radio Shack, and the other a cheapie from Home Depot that seems to work about as well as the other more expensive types.
I can keep about five keyed and unkeyed flutes in this case with no problem and keep the humidity pretty constant. But if I'm going out, then I wrap up the flute I'm taking in a towel and put in in a plastic container with a dampened, but not wet sponge. I don't use plastic bins at home because the humidity in them can rise too high quite quickly and the humidity levels are just less stable than in a larger instrument case. I wouldn't humidify a little form fitted flute case for the same reason. But I'm sure others have there own ways that work very well. As for me, I've never had an instrument crack.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I thought I read (somewhere) that 45% - 55% was a reasonable range. Isn't 75% more than necessary?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

maybe Pat doesn't use an air conditioner in the summer....
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

Yeah, I'd like to know what the makers think about that 75%. I go for about 55% in winter. I would think 75% would pose some danger of rapid drying out once the flute is taken out of its case into a 30% or so room. Of course playing will introduce moisture to offset this, but its not that often that I play a flute from the time I pick it up until the time I put it away--particularly when playing with other instruments. I know guitar builders generally aim to build in a constant 50% humidity. Is 25% more really good for wooden flutes?
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

Hi! For whatever reason, my flute does not "behave" well if I humidify over 50 to 55 percent. At 75 percent, the keys sort of stick and the pads don't seal as they should. I have to let it dry back out a bit for a couple of days to get it back up and running.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Hi folks- I haven't been back here for a while. Busy working (and playing flute). I have a small dampit made for small violins, and I've been keeping it inside the second joint of my flute, inside its case. I don't saturate it, and I rehydrate it every day or every other day in this cold winter while we're heating with wood.

This flute is cocus, and has been cracked and restored in the headjoint, but the second joint is so thin that I'm afraid of a new crack. I am trying to be soooo careful, but I will be very very sad if something happens to this one. My first antique.

Jennie
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Denny wrote:sponge in perforated sandwich bag

it's the hydrometer that's tricky

You could put a samich in that bag and have lunch.

I do not recommend tuna or baloney.

Spam might get you about 65% humidity.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Denny

Post by Denny »

why it's almost 3....I've had 2nd lunch

almost time for first dinner!!!
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Regarding analog hygrometers, they often require calibration to be accurate. I think most hygrometers can be calibrated, though I've read some are not designed to allow it. You can calibrate one at home with a zip lock bag and a bit of salt. Here's a website describing how.

https://www.cigarextras.com/index.asp?P ... ustom&ID=6

Best,
Jay
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

My digital hygrometer came with specific instructions NOT to do the "bag" thingee!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
azw

Post by azw »

Jay, thanks for that link on how to calibrate a hygrometer. I'd been wondering about that!
Jay wrote:Regarding analog hygrometers, they often require calibration to be accurate. ...
https://www.cigarextras.com/index.asp?P ... ustom&ID=6
Art Zoller Wagner
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

75% RH is too high for flutes made in North America.

Flutes made in Ireland you can probably just dunk in Guiness when not in use.

Loren