Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
andyras3
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Posting clips

Post by andyras3 »

Heheh, you get so used to copies, thats fantastic, it sounds great.

Health to enjoy...
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

ImNotIrish wrote:Andy: The maker of the Pratten is Pratten. The flute is an original Hudson Pratten, cocuswood.
i.e. the maker was Hudson for Pratten....... see stuff on Terry's website about Hudson.

:D
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

jemtheflute wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:Andy: The maker of the Pratten is Pratten. The flute is an original Hudson Pratten, cocuswood.
i.e. the maker was Hudson for Pratten....... see stuff on Terry's website about Hudson.

:D
I stand corrected!
Arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

mahanpots wrote:http://www.box.net/shared/mqfd5og5qs

Great tunes. I've not shared in a while, so I thought I'd share this one after spending the morning playing my keyless Olwell Pratten. It's one I learned a long time ago off a Seamus Eagan CD in a medley of reels titled Maids of Galway. If anyone knows its name, I'd appreciate it.

I haven't been playing much lately. Hope it sounds okay.

Michael
Nice one Michael! Great flow and sound. Really like that bubbly sound you are getting from the crans. Good to hear you once again.
Arbo
joshD

Post by joshD »

Hey Akiba,

Well, I had asked about you playing classical because my wife has her masters in flute performance and also plays Irish flute. The tone that she has and many of my other classical friends who play ITM share that same tone quality. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be pure. I tend to think of people that have a good tone quality that were not classically trained (in one word) as being fat :o or even thick :boggle:. Well that was two words but you catch my drift. I don't see it as being right or wrong, just a different end presentation on that persons playing. Lovely stuff overall if I might say. :thumbsup: I am a drummer by trade, so it was a bear in the beginning working on my tone.

Obviously being so deficient in the I Q Department :D
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some feedback on my take of the Destitution Reel? It's kinda a work in progress. Comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Arbo
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

ImNotIrish wrote:Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some feedback on my take of the Destitution Reel? It's kinda a work in progress. Comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Arbo
Outstanding tone, control, and support--very smooth playing. Nice job.

The only thing that really jumped out at me, it sounded like you may be dropping your breath support on the rolls, they are coming across as a little weak, maybe a little sloppy. And don't misunderstand, it wasn't a drastic thing, it's just the rest of your playing was so well polished, it made the rolls very noticeable.

Very nice job--well played.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Arbo
Very nice job Arbo :thumbsup:
Just one thing: if you ask for feedback, editing a clip sounds to me like cheating... It's ok if you're making an album that someone will listen during his free time, but if you ask people to give advices on your playing the clip should be as close as possible to its original sound, so without added effects. :wink:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Othannen wrote:
Arbo
Very nice job Arbo :thumbsup:
Just one thing: if you ask for feedback, editing a clip sounds to me like cheating... It's ok if you're making an album that someone will listen during his free time, but if you ask people to give advices on your playing the clip should be as close as possible to its original sound, so without added effects. :wink:
Are you referring to the reverb? That's the only effect, and I was playing around with it some, though the take was originally recorded with the reverb on. The only fussing was adjusting the amount of reverb a slight bit. It sounds different to me when I play back through my board, amp and monitors, than when I listen through the computer speakers.
Arbo
Last edited by ImNotIrish on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

peeplj wrote:
Arbo
Outstanding tone, control, and support--very smooth playing. Nice job.

The only thing that really jumped out at me, it sounded like you may be dropping your breath support on the rolls, they are coming across as a little weak, maybe a little sloppy. And don't misunderstand, it wasn't a drastic thing, it's just the rest of your playing was so well polished, it made the rolls very noticeable.

Very nice job--well played.

--James
Thanks James. You are correct. I thinks I was worried more about getting through the entire tune, than focussing on any other particular aspect of playing. I suppose that why the comfort level with a tune is so important....one less thing to be overly concerned about (I mean there's tone, phrasing, intonation, breathing, ornamentation, dynamics... well, you get the picture).

Arbo
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Yup, the reverb :D
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
joshD

Post by joshD »

Arbo, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That tune is a monster!!! :boggle: Very cool tune. Sounds challenging on the flute huh? I like the soulful way you play man :thumbsup: Me personally, I think that your ornaments could be more crisp and in control. It seems like some of your ornaments get a way from you or are not fully sounded. That being said, when ever I make a suggestion be aware that I always remember that I have things to work on myself. Anyway, Killer stuff dude :thumbsup:
joshD

Post by joshD »

Here is a recording of a session in Baltimore at Ryan's Daughter. I am currently archiving ITM in Baltimore so this is going to sound better than a tape recording. I have a portable rig that I use for field recordings. This set of jigs is currently the flavor of the month. Let me know what you think. I have so many field recordings it's crazy. Last time I checked I am up to almost 100 gigs music recorded in the pubs :boggle: I am playing guitar in this set. Brendan Bell who is also on the message board is playing flute along with Laura Burn-Eagan. Rosie Shipley is playing fiddle. Let me know what you think.

http://homepage.mac.com/joshuadukes/FileSharing14.html
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

joshD wrote:Here is a recording of a session in Baltimore at Ryan's Daughter. I am currently archiving ITM in Baltimore so this is going to sound better than a tape recording. I have a portable rig that I use for field recordings. This set of jigs is currently the flavor of the month. Let me know what you think. I have so many field recordings it's crazy. Last time I checked I am up to almost 100 gigs music recorded in the pubs :boggle: I am playing guitar in this set. Brendan Bell who is also on the message board is playing flute along with Laura Burn-Eagan. Rosie Shipley is playing fiddle. Let me know what you think.

http://homepage.mac.com/joshuadukes/FileSharing14.html
Josh,

That sounds excellent :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ! I'd pay money to hear playing of that caliber. What a strong session. The recording quality is also very high--sounds like how ITM should sound.

What are the tunes?

Do you guys choose sets ahead of time, or do you have sets you normally play?

Brilliant! Would love to hear more.

Jason
andyras3

Post by andyras3 »

Hi Josh,

Your Baltimore session sounds like a great place to play and listen to music, this set of jigs is well polished, your fiddler sounds great, as for your field equipment, LOL last Sat night I could barely hear the guy next to me. Fantastic, I'd really like to hear more of those recordings.

Heh Arbo I think your destitution reel is fantastic, it does sound pretty haunting, not sure if the reverb is to blame, irrespective your pratten sounds great, I hadn't heard the tune before.

Meanwhile my work in progress is the Gerry O'Connor set on the Comhaltas site Bag of Spuds/Copperplate, I've heard the tunes many times but never sat down to learn them. I'd like to hear some of you guys have a go at it.

ATB

Andy
Last edited by andyras3 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.