Whistle case idea

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
GordonH
antispam: No

Whistle case idea

Post by GordonH »

I used to keep my whistles in a black plastic bag but it looks like they got thrown out mistakenly for rubbish so I have decided that this can't happen again.
So I have been on the look out for a case.

I came across wooden boxes for £4.99 in a local remainder book shop.
They are not particularly sturdy, but they will take a Bb whistle diagonally and they have the two sides to them for keeping stuff in.
I bought one and am going to line it with something, out some foam blocks in it to stop the whistles moving about and use it for that.
The two pen trays are glued in with hot melt glue but they will come out quite easily.

My kids are getting the pens and pencils that came in it.

The box has a light coat of varnish on it, but you could add your own artwork to the outside if you had the skill.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/gordonhud ... 6053878738
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/gordonhud ... 7901400834
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/gordonhud ... 3068242802
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Whistle case idea

Post by Ballyshannon »

Good suggestion if your preference is for hard cases. For you, this is probably a great idea so your whistles don't get mistaken for trash :evil:

I use a modified zippered drumstick bag that works great, especially at sessions when space at the table is tight. It accommodates a Bb and mezzo A with no trouble.

I've added vertical stitches to create individual pockets to protect the whistles. Before closing, I place a piece of cloth over the exposed tops of the whistles on the right, then fold the left side over and zip it up. The cloth protects to tops of the whistles when the bag is closed up.

The front pocket (2nd photo) holds my smaller whistles (high E, F, F#, and G), along with a couple Susato tubes, cleaning pads, and other stuff. I've used this bag for years and keeps the whistles well protected. The reason the stitches were done by hand on the left side is because of the front pocket. The case is 18" x 7" when closed.

Last edited by Ballyshannon on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Cheap, easy to make Whistle cases can be made from PVC tubing. Choose a tube that is a little larger inside than your whistle is outside and a little longer. 2 end caps are then added to this. One glued on and the other loose but snug. Wrap the whistle in a soft polishing cloth for padding and moisture control, insert it in the tube and snap on the cap.

PVC can be painted any color with Krylon spray paint for PVC or you can glue on a fabric cover. Sets of tubes can be inserted into a mechanic's roll-up wrench bag that ties around the middle (similar to this)

http://www.avcomm.com/photos/bags/race_tool_bags.jpg
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:Cheap, easy to make Whistle cases can be made from PVC tubing.
If you don't need hard shell protection, you can use finger & toe bandage by Softeze. It comes in a 36" roll, has a gauze liner and foam outer surface, can be cut to length, and comes in various diameters so you an find one that slides gently over your whistle. I use it in conjunction with a drumstick case. Also, I've seen knitting needle cases that might work well too,

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

another option (which i also use for my saltwater and salmon flies) is to find a Plano #3741 waterproof box such as this one:

pay no attention to the dividers as they are removable to make one large compartment. then glue in two thick pieces of soft foam (thick enough to just touch) on both top and bottom and you have yourself a pretty indestructible case. if you do it right, the whistles won't move around.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Some good ideas there.

I do like hard cases because of many years experience with my trumpets, but the drumstick case one looks great.

Another option is to keep them in an orchestral flute case cover (not the case itself just the cover that fits over the case).
Thats something else I looked at but it was a bit short for longer whistles.
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

i was totally going to go the drumstick bag route until i got to the store and saw the size of it! pretty freaking long!!!

now that I have a dixon low, maybe i would use it.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

mcurtiss wrote:i was totally going to go the drumstick bag route until i got to the store and saw the size of it! pretty freaking long!!!

Most drumstick bags I've seen are on the order of 19" long max - suitable for up to maybe an A or G whistle. Perhaps another store ?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
mcurtiss

Post by mcurtiss »

Steve Bliven wrote:
mcurtiss wrote:i was totally going to go the drumstick bag route until i got to the store and saw the size of it! pretty freaking long!!!

Most drumstick bags I've seen are on the order of 19" long max - suitable for up to maybe an A or G whistle. Perhaps another store ?

Best wishes.

Steve
I think i was intimidated by it as i was looking for ones to fit a D (max length). must have been for mallets or extra long sticks because it was definitely longer than 18".

this one caught my eye though for obvious reasons: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Zildjian-Ad ... 1141831.gc
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Steve Bliven wrote:Most drumstick bags I've seen are on the order of 19" long max - suitable for up to maybe an A or G whistle. Perhaps another store ?
I've used several drumstick bags over the years. The three I use at present vary from 16" to 20" in length. The 20" bag is made by Ritter. It's quite well made and holds whistles up/down to low F in length. It also carries quite a few whistles. Your needs may vary from mine though.

A solution for a bunch of D/C whistles is a simple "ruler box" made for elementary school students. I use those made by Soho Corporation as part of their Stuff management line of plastic boxes. The model number is S-12. It will take whistles up to nearly 13" in length and holds two dozen 1/2" to 5/8" diameter whistles. It's the box second from top in the photo below. The nice thing is that they are cheap, less than a dollar each at stores like Staples, Office Depot, etc. I bought a bunch from Inkstop recently.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

You must have seen an XL drumstick case! The one I posted the photos of isn't big at all as you can see in this photo with me holding it for reference, and is actually very portable. It certainly wouldn't hold a low D but all together there are about 18 well-protected whistles in the bag up to a mezzo A, along with cleaning and maintenance items. Seems to me it was about $15 at the time.

Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

I've a case pretty much exactly like Ballyshannon's. I ordered my from The Whistle Shop as sort of an impulse buy when I ordered some other whistles: http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... acebag.htm. The idea of stitching the big pocket to make many smaller pockets, I'm ashamed that it never occurred to me. I'll be doing this very soon. I hated how my whistles slid around in there.
mcurtiss

Post by mcurtiss »

I'll take a pic of the rollbag i eventually found at me mom's house. an old roll for knitting tools. looks cool too. holds about 8-10 whistles or so.

very similar to this: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/k ... le_roll_up
toasterburn

Post by toasterburn »

this is the one I bought and I love it. It was only $22 and keeps them neatly separated. Image

http://www.lollysmith.com/tinwhcaba.html
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Okay, while there are some great suggestions here for whistle bags - I really like the drum stick ones - what choices are there for low D's. I carry mine in a gym type bag that also holds my music files and is really not suitable because of the weight of the files usually being on top of the whistles. Has anyone any suggestions?
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp