HELP UK MUSICIANS TO DEFEAT LICENSING BILL!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Isilwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Isilwen »

http://www.musiclovers.ukart.com/

The UK has started to pass a licensing bill stating that all musicians, who play live, public music, no matter where it is shall have to purchase a license to do so. Penalties for playing music publicly without a license are jail and a huge fine.

If you are a UK resident, sign the petition!
If you aren't a UK resident, post on the forums; your names will be submitted separately from the petition, but the more people who care to sign and stop this, the better!

Thanks.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

This is dangerous to the civilized world!! This must be stopped at all costs and quarantined to England, be it the rest of the world governments find out about it.

It seems that my signature below has a lot more meaning than when I entered it for the first time!!!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Any idea of the rationale behind
the legislation? Why?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jim stone on 2003-01-07 15:57 ]</font>
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi,
It all has to do with what's known as a public entertainment licence. The pub or bar requires this licence if it intends to have a group or band to entertain. As far as I know this latest ruling was the result of trying to simplyfy the need for the PEL licence, but has turned into a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" scenario. If you check out Hobgoblin's UK website it has more information.

Cheers, Mac
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

We all seem to legislate, enforce, monitor that which is easy and relatively harmless. A lot more difficult to go after really hard, pernicious stuff that matters, like terrorism.

Philo
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I believe this rule might break some European regulation.
I would suggest your musicians associations contact a lawyer, file a lawsuit within Europe.

And do start an immediate musicians' strike, for Pete's sake! Go play elsewhere, anywhere within Europe where you're free to work like Europeans after all!

Unfortunately, the petition is restricted to England, Wales residents only.
Pity--letting others sign it might have had an influence on the tourism offices.

Like I, who loved visiting Cornwall (still officially England...) will not even stop there without music. Now, England will be my mere forced embarcadero to IoM, or the necessary thruway towards Scotland. The fastest, the better. I'll miss visiting Cornwall, Northumbria but hell...

Paul Salvaire
121 imp. St Pierre
44420 Mesquer
France, Europe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-01-07 18:37 ]</font>
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Most Americans would be surprized to find out that Brits pay a licence for their TV sets. A licnence to play the Bodhran...sounds like a good idea to me!
C4

Post by C4 »

This sounds rather scary..Does that include singing without instrument backup..Hmmm what about humming to oneself in public...Where will it all end?
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2003-01-07 18:22, PhilO wrote:
We all seem to legislate, enforce, monitor that which is easy and relatively harmless. A lot more difficult to go after really hard, pernicious stuff that matters, like terrorism.

Philo
Don't worry, Philo. Mr Blair's government is also your most obedient ally for the "crusade" currently a-drumming a-fifing.
What would take more courage to levy a tax on music might be on the computers and CD-writing software, which are killing the music labels, especially the smaller ones, through computer piracy...
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

See. It only proves that American lawmakers aren't the only ones with more free time than good sense.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Did you doubt it ?
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I have always treasured our constitutional right to Free Speech here in the U.S. Requiring folks to pay a fee and obtain a license to sing or speak or express themselves in public is a step into tyranny.

Music is no longer owned by the aristocratic classes. It belongs to the all people. Governments may tax commerce; but, they have no right to tax the free exchange of ideas. Music connects folks beyond mear words and is a cornerstone of many communities. By requiring licensure, they basicly say the the communities right to bond through music or public entertainment will exist only by permission of the government and to the profit of those currently in office.

If passed, I sincerely hope the people actively pursue steps to demonstrate to government their foolishness. Starting with every military band. Insisting that all participants bear the penality. And should your legislators, sing "God save the Queen" without license at the openning of some function at the entrance of the Queen, I hope they all have the opportunity to pay their fine and do their time. With the jails filled with troops and legislature, perhaps sensibility will return.

To each and every soul dwelling in England and Wales, I hope you can ensure your rights to ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2003-01-07 21:36 ]</font>
AnnaDMartinez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Muttering and swearing! That sucks, absolutely sucks! Strike! Strike!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

When I was over there last year I kept hearing public service announcements talking about television licenses. They were warning folks to register their televisions, if I understood correctly. It sounded as if they had to pay an annual fee to the gov't for each tv they owned, including computer monitors. What next, an oxygen tax? You UK C&Fers, did I get that right? Is there an annual tax/fee on televisions?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2003-01-08 00:20, blackhawk wrote:
It sounded as if they had to pay an annual fee to the gov't for each tv they owned, including computer monitors. What next, an oxygen tax? You UK C&Fers, did I get that right? Is there an annual tax/fee on televisions?
A tv is hardly like oxygen, but in most European countries there is a television licensing law in operation. But on the bright side the licence fee goes towards financing the public broadcasting system. And whatever else you may think the BBC [and to an extend it's counterparts in other countries] is a fair attempt at quality broadcasting.