Digital Pen? Advice, Please

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Digital Pen? Advice, Please

Post by Nanohedron »

Got mouse-wrist. I'm thinking seriously about switching to a digital pen as a replacement for the mouse, as it appears this can be a big help. I know next to zilch about this technology, but I can say that it's strictly for a mouse replacement as I don't intend to use it for graphics, so I'm hoping that will keep costs down.

This is NOT a medical post. I just want to know about digital pen tech, thanks.

Lemme have it. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Re: Digital Pen? Advice, Please

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I used a Tablet for a while. It's fun, in its way, but the pen with the tablet I used needed a battery, and it was a bugger to replace. The main problem is you need to set the tablet somewhere. It's not like a mouse-mat. I'm guessing you're talking about the latest model digital pens, where you write on the screen. Sorry, no experience of those.

But I do know a few people with mouse-wrist who swear by tracker-balls.

Edited to say - when I was having wrist problems playing the Low-D, I took a tip from a colleague and transferred my mouse to the left of my keyboard. He and I are both right-handed. It didn't take long to get the hang of using it left-handed, it's easier to type while using the mouse, and no wrist-ache.
Last edited by Innocent Bystander on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I had something of the sort many years ago, thinking that it would help me with control for MacDraw...that sort of thing.
It was essentially a pen-shaped mouse, complete with a small wheel at the tip. Didn't help.
I presume that what you're talking about is something higher-tech?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, you see, that's what I don't know.

I.B., I wasn't referring to a pen-on-screen setup, just pen-on-pad. Batteries, though? Aren't there pads that plug into the 'puter like yer basic mouse?

Whilst we entertain the vagaries of digital pens, tell me more of this "tracker ball", too. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I picked up a Wacom Bamboo One tablet for about 30 pounds in June, from Amazon. I figured it wasn't much of an investment to get to try it out.

I like it. I haven't used it much (lack of time to play with it at work) but it's very easy to use. The pad is hard so I could use it propped up if I didn't want it on the desk. It connects by USB. The pen uses no wires, no batteries - I think there's some kind of magnetic interface to tell the pad where the pen is. There are two buttons on the pen and the tip is pressure sensitive, to a degree.

It was very easy to pick it up and start using it as a mouse, though it does take practice to fine tune your aim.

PS, I got a Logitech Trackman Wheel mouse a few years ago and my work-related wrist pain vanished. It took a few days to get used to but is second nature now. It has the added benefit of providing me with vast amusement whenever someone else has to use my computer and tries to use the mouse.

I highly recommend both items. The only caveat is I find it hard to use the tablet with my laptop, purely because I run out of room on my lap. If I had a table I'm sure there'd be no problem!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Since you're not interested in precision drawing, why not just an outboard touchpad (like this)? It's a direct mouse replacement, small, no batteries, etc. In trackballs, I always found the thumb-ball type trackballs (like this) comfortable and intuitive, but the finger-ball type clumsy.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A touchpad might be good if it's better than the wee one on my HP. I don't like that one as it's slow and the cursor action is unsteady. Or maybe I just haven't mastered it...

...Just tried something: I laid a magazine in my lap and am operating the mouse from there. Makes a difference, but I'm still thinking a pen would be better for me, as I'd be changing the clicking ergonomics.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:A touchpad might be good if it's better than the wee one on my HP. I don't like that one as it's slow and the cursor action is unsteady. Or maybe I just haven't mastered it...
It may depend as much on a good software driver as on the hardware. The outboard pad is larger, too, which may make it seem less skittery.

I still like the TrackPoint stick on my old IBM ThinkPad, but it's a bit odd.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

MTGuru wrote:Since you're not interested in precision drawing, why not just an outboard touchpad (like this)? It's a direct mouse replacement, small, no batteries, etc. In trackballs, I always found the thumb-ball type trackballs (like this) comfortable and intuitive, but the finger-ball type clumsy.
I like the bad thing about the Track balls are that many work only with the right hand. If you want to give your hand a full rest something like this might work in either hand. A nice side benefit to the track ball is that it uses less space than a mouse and a pad.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Many years ago, I used a mouse pen. It worked pretty well.

I've also had "mouse wrist" and other problems related to long hours on the computer. In my case, keeping my hands warm by wearing thin gloves, and my wrist warm with a cheap brace have helped immensely. Using a smaller mouse also seems to help me.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya might want to look into keyboard trays also.....with room for the rodent, of course
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Looks like those yokes are called "Trackballs" in the US and "Trackerballs" in the UK. That's something to remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackball

I found the digital pen irritating because left-click was the point of the pen, which had to depress, and right-click was a button on the side of the pen. It was counter-intuitive. I always had the pen the wrong way around when I wanted to right-click. And I mixed them up.
Actually drawing with it, when it's just moving the pen around, was great. But clicking, not so great.

My kids both have tablets, and I must ask how they get on with them. But they have different models from the one I got. I'd advise anyone to get a different model from the one I got. But they don't make mine any more, so you won't.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I second Inn's recommendation to mouse left-handed. All the quality people are doing that now. :) It will take the strain completely off your right wrist (obviously). If you leave the mouse buttons the way they were originally programmed, so the main button is still on the left, your hand will fall in a more natural position cross-ways on the mouse. It will just drape over the mouse, with your index finger falling where it should go naturally. Lifting and depressing the index finger won't be as strained, so you'll be better off.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

A bunch of artists at work use Wacom tablets all the time. You can get some relatively cheaply, so if that's what you're going for, then Wacom is the way to go.

Alternatively, I use a Kensington trackball mouse, and I love it. I much prefer finger-based trackballs over the thumb-based ones (sorry, MTGuru! ;)) because the fingers are considerably more dexterous than the thumb. The one I've got is bloody brilliant, in my opinion, if a bit on the pricey side for a mouse: http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Expert ... 379&sr=8-1. Alternatively, perhaps the cheaper, 2-button version would be more to your liking (also more aesthetically pleasing, if that matters to you): http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Orbit- ... 379&sr=8-2.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I remember when ball point pens with digital clocks on them were the latest thing.
Reasonable person
Walden