Hey all! Meet Aodhán!

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Hey all! Meet Aodhán!

Post by Redwolf »

We put the strings on my new harp last night, and today I began the slow process of bringing it up to pitch.

The chair I'm using isn't ideal, as it's much too high, but it did for the moment. I have a Triplett lap bar that I'm going to try on it later...I think it may just fit.

This is a terribly unflattering photo of me (yes, I'm growing out my hair), but you're all just looking at the harp anyway, right?

Red (soon to be silver) wolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Hey all! Meet Aodhán!

Post by izzarina »

How BEAUTIFUL, Red!!! Simply gorgeous!! I didn't realise you had gotten a new one. Is this one the same size as the last? Are you going to bring it the next time we all go to Ireland? :party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

This is actually a very different kind of harp from my others. It's based on the classic Irish harp, and is strung with brass (intended to be played with the fingernails). It's smaller in size, but has the same number of strings (26). Wire harps have closer spacing than folk harps, so they tend to be smaller for the number of strings.

Next time I go to Ireland, I will definitely bring either this one or my Harpsicle. I really kicked myself for not bringing the Harpsicle this summer...especially after I ran into those folks from the States the next cabin over who had one with them!

There will be quite a learning curve with this harp. The technique is different enough that, essentially, I'll be learning an entirely different isntrument.

Redwolf
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Wow! Aodhán is totally cool!

and your hair girl! Flaunt it.
When my hair turned gray I started picking fights with all my younger Asian American friends only to luxuriate with them always agreeing with me.

Finally one of my older Asian friends caught on to my frolic and told me to stop.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Redwolf wrote:Wire harps have closer spacing than folk harps, so they tend to be smaller for the number of strings.
Does that also make them steeper? Or does the change to wire also affect the sounding length in about the same ratio?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Redwolf wrote:This is actually a very different kind of harp from my others. It's based on the classic Irish harp, and is strung with brass (intended to be played with the fingernails). It's smaller in size, but has the same number of strings (26). Wire harps have closer spacing than folk harps, so they tend to be smaller for the number of strings.
I wish I knew more about harps...but I am very excited for you! :) And yes, you absolutely have to at least bring the Harpsicle with you next time. It would have been cool to hear a duet this past summer!

And I think your silver is stunning. :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

s1m0n wrote:
Redwolf wrote:Wire harps have closer spacing than folk harps, so they tend to be smaller for the number of strings.
Does that also make them steeper? Or does the change to wire also affect the sounding length in about the same ratio?
No idea, I'm afraid. I leave the physics of the whole thing to my husband. I just play 'em.

Redwolf
CelticHarpie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CelticHarpie »

Very nice!

And yes, you should definitely bring a harp with you.

I brought my Argent Fox 22 string the second time I traveled to Ireland and (even though at the time I was mostly a beginner) was warmly received when I broke it out to play. Next time I'll be bringing my Triplett Christina (as I can perform more on it due to more strings).

Funniest thing that happened to me was when I was getting off my Aer Lingus flight in Dublin. One of the flight attendants pointed to my harp case and said "What on earth is that?" I told her it was a harp. As I was walking by I heard her mutter to her colleague, "Can you believe it? The national symbol of our country and I need an American to tell me what it is!"

I was amused.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

CelticHarpie wrote:Very nice!

And yes, you should definitely bring a harp with you.

I brought my Argent Fox 22 string the second time I traveled to Ireland and (even though at the time I was mostly a beginner) was warmly received when I broke it out to play. Next time I'll be bringing my Triplett Christina (as I can perform more on it due to more strings).

Funniest thing that happened to me was when I was getting off my Aer Lingus flight in Dublin. One of the flight attendants pointed to my harp case and said "What on earth is that?" I told her it was a harp. As I was walking by I heard her mutter to her colleague, "Can you believe it? The national symbol of our country and I need an American to tell me what it is!"

I was amused.
That's a good one! Reminds me of something that happened to an Irish friend of mine. He was in Dublin, chatting in Irish with a friend, and a fellow walking by growled "bleedin' foreigners!" :lol:

I waffled on bringing my Harpsicle with me this summer, but decided not to, mainly because I had a convoluted schedule with several different airlines. They pretty much all reserve the right to make you check a musical instrument at the flight attendent's discretion (for example, if the onboard closets are full by the time you board). The 'Sicle will fit in the overhead compartments of some airliners, but not all of them. I figured that, if it were only one airline I was flying over and back, it would be worth trying, but the more airlines and destinations, the more likely I was to be told to check it or leave it.

Aodhán is now holding pitch, so my next task is to find someone to make a case for him.

Redwolf