Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
joshD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Posting clips

Post by joshD »

B flat major :shock: :shock: :shock:

Man that is awesome. Again the bar has been raised! Thanks for putting these tunes up. It is interesting how a person who is keen on the trad style can make a silver flute sound like it belongs. Good stuff :)
joshD

Post by joshD »

Julians,

Nice stuff. Very nice pace. I think that you are heading down the right track. you have a nice chug to your playing that reminds me of the old school :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing. I would keep doing what your doing as far as practicing. Sometimes when your playing it seems that you are getting behind the beat slightly between breaths. This is common in the learning process. Sometimes I will record something and during the playback I will notice myself doing it. But really, you are kicking butt in general!! :D :D Keep posting.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Don't let B-flat major scare ya. It's just a key.

I've played Bach in B-major on the Hamilton...again, it's just a key.

What I learned a long time ago in college concerning the silver flute is just as true of the keyed simple system flute: some keys are harder than others. They are a little harder on the fingers, but they are a lot harder on the mind. Understand that the mind is the real challenge to overcome, take the music slow, figure it out one note at a time if you have to, but don't let it scare you away.

The first time you work through a piece in B-major or C-minor, it'll be hell. The second time it'll still be hell, but you'll get through it just a bit quicker. By the time you've done ten different pieces, you'll be getting comfortable. Do just fifteen and you'll wonder what all the fuss was ever about.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Julians, you're off to a very good start.

Some of the things that I heard in your playing will fix themselves with sufficient time, if you'll keep at it: your fingering will get faster and the ornaments will get crisper as muscle memory starts taking over and you don't have to think about it so much. Ditto on tone: right now you're like a new driver, having to concentrate on keeping the car in the lane. You sound like you're not far away from the point where a lot of your playing will start to become automatic.

On the fingers, one time a really good musician gave me excellent advice: your fingers should move like the needle of a sewing machine. Dart up fast, dart down fast. To do that, your fingers and hands need to be very relaxed: tense muscles are slow muscles.

A fine job, and I'm glad you posted it!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

andyras3 wrote:Hi Folks,

I'm recording straight to my laptop mic, but I'm not sure if spending money on usb mics and the such would improve my flute playing.

Have a listen to my first offering, you might be able to hear an episode of Heroes in the background :).

http://andyras.podbean.com/

ATB

Andy
Andy just had a listen. Very distorted sound on the playback. Was the original ok and have you listened to it as it plays on podbean? I think that could be why there has been no feedback for you yet.
andyras3

Post by andyras3 »

Thanks Kevin,

Not sure it, seems to play ok on my machine from Podbean, i.e. no major distortions.

I'll have another go at reloading it or do another file.

Andy
andyras3

Post by andyras3 »

I had another go at putting a file on the podbean site: http://andyras.podbean.com/

Although I wonder if I have the sound turned up too much on the recording, because I have to turn it down to abut a third to get a good sound. If I turn the sound beyond 50% it starts to get heavily distorted.

Let me know if the same thing happens, thanks for your patience...

PS: James very nice playing, and it's very clear aswell, how do you manage to record with such clarity ?

Andy
julians

Post by julians »

Many thanks to Joshua and James for the advice -- it makes good sense. I've noticed I'm a bit too tense when playing, & when I'm pushing myself speed-wise it gets worse rather than better. I'll keep working on it!

Julian
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

OK, I'm gonna try this... Here are a few of my humble (and I really DO mean humble) efforts. I play a McGee GLP (keyless) and record using a Zoom H4. The Lord Mayo was recorded in a cool little chapel in a cemetery about a minute's walk from my house. I've been playing flute for almost a year...

Si Beag Si Mohr http://www.box.net/shared/a3o333q671
Lord Mayo http://www.box.net/shared/g7a1mf0sfo
Fanny Power http://www.box.net/shared/61et2vd98s

I'll put some of my "faster" stuff up after I see how embarrassing this is gonna be :)

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Haven't posted in awhile, but I finally recorded a tune with guitar. I'm in a "proto"-band, i.e. we're rehearsing but still not gelled into a true band yet, and this is a demo track recording without the fiddle from our trio.

It's Cooley's from the box link in my signature; a straight forward setting. Has some good moments; not perfect. I think the flute mic'ing is a bit hot and strange, but not bad.

Let me know what you think.

Happy New Year, y'all.

Thanks,

Jason
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

I haven't posted one here for a while. Here's what I've been enjoying playing for the last few days:

Boys of Balisodare

I learned this one from Mike Rafferty this past summer. A nice, happy reel. :)
~Tiff
Dr Funkenstein

Post by Dr Funkenstein »

Longtime listener, first timer caller (err.... poster?). :) I've been really enjoying this thread the past few weeks and decided I should finally post something. Loving all the clips by the way!

Here's a jig I got from Mike Rafferty when he taught in Milwaukee in 2005 called "The Woods of Old Limerick." I'm still working on his mid c# to low D ending phrase solid, but have been using a work around for a while now (think he plays the phrase EFD EAG|EDc D3|).

http://www.box.net/shared/yn449525zs

--Jeff
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

matahari_1946 wrote:I haven't posted one here for a while. Here's what I've been enjoying playing for the last few days:

Boys of Balisodare

I learned this one from Mike Rafferty this past summer. A nice, happy reel. :)
Flawless!!

You have the rhythm in your veins! I loved it.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

andyras3 wrote:I had another go at putting a file on the podbean site: http://andyras.podbean.com/

Although I wonder if I have the sound turned up too much on the recording, because I have to turn it down to abut a third to get a good sound. If I turn the sound beyond 50% it starts to get heavily distorted.

Andy
I am still getting all sorts of noise on your new tune. I can hear the flute but getting all kind on 'electronic' distortions and sounds on top. Maybe its my lap top set up. Does it play ok for other folk here?
andyras3

Post by andyras3 »

thanks Kevin,

I've had another go, next time I'll try something different.... http://andyras.podbean.com/

Andy

Kevin said:

I am still getting all sorts of noise on your new tune. I can hear the flute but getting all kind on 'electronic' distortions and sounds on top. Maybe its my lap top set up. Does it play ok for other folk here?[/quote]