New around here, plus a question or two

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Labhraisin

New around here, plus a question or two

Post by Labhraisin »

Hi, all.

About a year ago I received a Feadog D and instruction book as a gift. However, I didn't get much practice in before other things distracted me.

Recently, though, my girlfriend has taken up Ocarina playing, and listening to her practice makes me want to play the whistle again, so I found my Feadog D and I've been practicing on it some. However, I want to be able to play songs with my girlfriend and was thinking of buying a C whistle so our instruments were in the same key.

Would a tin whistle sound nice played alongside a tenor ocarina, or is that combination a bad idea?
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: New around here, plus a question or two

Post by Steve Bliven »

Labhraisin wrote:Hi, all.

About a year ago I received a Feadog D and instruction book as a gift. However, I didn't get much practice in before other things distracted me.

Recently, though, my girlfriend has taken up Ocarina playing, and listening to her practice makes me want to play the whistle again, so I found my Feadog D and I've been practicing on it some. However, I want to be able to play songs with my girlfriend and was thinking of buying a C whistle so our instruments were in the same key.

Would a tin whistle sound nice played alongside a tenor ocarina, or is that combination a bad idea?
If it makes your girlfriend happy, it's a great idea.... :thumbsup:

Enjoy.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

When one person plays a wind instrument, that person, just by the way they blow the note, has a lot of wiggle room to play the note sharp, flat, or in tune. Getting two wind instruments to sound like they are in tune with each other takes some work, especially if they're in the same octave. I was never in a marching band to know how much work goes into that. I play in a folk group with guitars and keyboard and only have to play to match them, not meet in some happy medium with another wind instrument. It might make things easier on the ears if the instruments are playing different notes (like melody and harmony) or if the instruments are in different octaves. Achieving the ability to play a duet is well worth the effort. Let us know how it goes.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

marching band is easy.....if yer the loudest, yer in tune....the rest can follow
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

mutepointe wrote:Getting two wind instruments to sound like they are in tune with each other takes some work, especially if they're in the same octave.
Yes, that's true. I remember trying to get two or sometimes even three concert flutes to play in tune. Painful, but it can be done, and when it works it is very effective. See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVztCC37wlc

I did a quick search to try and find an ocarina/whistle duet, but didn't managed to find anything (I'm sure MT will). But, in my wanderings across cyberspace I stumbled across this:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9iTXh4pJT4w
I'm impressed. Just how many of us could benefit from some make-up to match our whistles.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

hoopy mike wrote:I did a quick search to try and find an ocarina/whistle duet, but didn't managed to find anything (I'm sure MT will).
I think Walden is yer man for that. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
markbell

Post by markbell »

I think the combination would sound nice. It will take a bit of practice, I think, because of the similarity in tone and register between the instruments.

An anecdote to illustrate: A violinist has recently begun playing in the band. I usually move back and forth between playing mandolin and whistle. We were working on a set just before going on, and the places where I was playing mando didn't sound good (er, I should say, less so than usual!).

I switched out to whistle, and the mix was better. I think the similarity in tuning between the mando and violin made minute pitch differences more glaring. Had we had time to practice more, I think we could have had a great mix, but in the fray of the moment, switching to whistle improved the most.

You should go for it, in any case. Playing music with a loved one is fun, and less likely to start a fight than hanging wallpaper together.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum